Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel! (alcohol consumers read this)

[B4...]

I just wanted to post a positive update and I hope that anyone struggling will see this and know there is hope!

After stopping Ativan cold-turkey back in August 2019 (see my signature for the low-down), I have experienced a roller coaster of withdrawal symptoms and up until recently, I really didn't see any end in sight.

I finally stopped drinking alcohol about 3 months ago. When I stopped taking the Ativan, it was particularly hard for me to stop drinking alcohol. Stopping the Ativan made me incredibly anxious and alcohol helped soothe my anxiety for just a few moments, always to be followed by an immediate uptick in anxiety and w/d symptoms. It was a vicious cycle that I was in. At the beginning of the year, I finally realized that alcohol consumption was likely the reason why my symptoms were so persistent. From January until May I reduced my alcohol consumption drastically, but didn't fully stop. I was drinking, on average, 2-3 glasses of wine every 2-3 weeks. I was in this cycle of stopping alcohol, feeling a little better, and then a few weeks later telling myself that it was "OK" to have a few glasses of wine. While my symptoms weren't as bad, they were still lingering, especially the shortness of breath, muscle twitching, memory loss and tingling sensations. I think the absolute worst symptom that I was experiencing was shortness of breath. It is such a scary symptom and I honestly felt that it was something that I was just going to have to deal with forever.

I can say now that after almost 3 months of being sober my symptoms are almost completely gone. I can't remember the last time I felt the shortness of breath and my memory seems to be back to where it was before the Ativan. The only symptoms I am currently experiencing are muscle twitching and some tingling sensations, but even those are very minor. I remember throughout the first 6 months of withdrawals, my muscles would twitch so bad that you could visibly see my muscles move, especially in my legs and arms.

It's hard to believe that yesterday marked my 1 year anniversary of stopping Ativan. I can't believe how long symptoms last and how strong they can be. For a long time I was unable to see the light at the end of the tunnel. If you are in the thick of withdrawals, stay strong because they will get better! You will be yourself again! I am so grateful for these boards and for the support they have given me to stay strong and get through this.

If you are having issues quitting alcohol, just know that it is so worth it to stop drinking. This doesn't mean that you must stop drinking FOREVER, but for the time it takes your body to heal, you should seriously consider it. My body feels like it's finally almost healed and it has been 1 year. I'm sure that if I had stopped drinking last August, it would have been much faster. 

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! <3 <3 <3

Thanks for sharing, don't mind admitting finding it hard to not drink, it's always been my go to when feeling rough. Have the thought daily that I can drink through this, even though I know deep down it won't help in the long run

a great post, thanks. My drinking majorly crept up in the same way, i went from drinking once every 2-3 months and it not being an issue, to drinking almost every day 5-12 drinks in a night to try ease what i have now come to realise was interdose and tolerance withdrawals. I would have a couple days no benzo but drink heavily, or have a couple days no drinking but updose, and it's completely bewildering in hindsight, but i had no idea they have similar effects. So I have been having heaps of the twitching and numbness and other weird stuff since december. No booze or benzos in 2 months (as of yesterday) so hoping in time I get to a better state like you are in :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]