Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Worsening waves and improving windows - Has it happened to you?

[Su...]

Hello Buddies

I am keen to tap your collective wisdom on a particular point which has been affecting me recently. I am very much in a window and wave pattern at the moment (for the past month or so), typically, 1 week wave followed by 1 week window and so on.

During the windows, the symptoms do not quite disappear but their intensity is much reduced. During the waves, the symptoms worsen quite dramatically.

What I have noticed in the past month is that, as my windows get better, my waves seem to become worse and more intense. Has it happened to some  of you? Any correlation between the intensity of the windows and waves? I remember there was a thread on this topic but cannot find it again. At the time, I thought the 'feeling of the wave getting worse' was simply due to the psychological shock experienced when the better windows close. Any thought on this?

Anyway, I am tapering amitriptyline at the moment and this is probably not helping my recovery...

SG

I can relate to that. I feel exactly the same where in windows my symptoms does not totally go away but less intense but waves feels like comes up harder every time . Not sure what's the logic is behind that but heard the stronger the wave the more is healing..hope that's true... :thumbsup:

I can relate to what you are going through.  I do not have windows, just brief moments (a few minutes to an hour or two) where my symptoms are less intense.  Those moments are getting a little better when compared to where I was 6 months ago.  My waves seem to be getting worse and maybe a little shorter in duration.  I now get slammed with horrible waves that last a few days instead of a week. 

I hope it gets better for you soon. 

I can relate to what you are going through.  I do not have windows, just brief moments (a few minutes to an hour or two) where my symptoms are less intense.  Those moments are getting a little better when compared to where I was 6 months ago.  My waves seem to be getting worse and maybe a little shorter in duration.  I now get slammed with horrible waves that last a few days instead of a week. 

Wow two years...Runner3 have something got change or better for you in 2 yrs ..I am only 6 mons and already so tired and loosing it... :(

Wow two years...Runner3 have something got change or better for you in 2 yrs ..I am only 6 mons and already so tired and loosing it... :(

For me, there are many things that have gotten better, easier to handle and some things have completely gone away.  Some aspects of my waves seem to be getting worse as time goes on.  They are shorter in duration but still nearly impossible to handle.  Hang in there.  Things will improve. 

Please don’t get into the time thing. Most people (like a vast majority) do not get protracted but most people can count on 18 months, give or take. If your windows are getting better, it means your brain is figuring it out and you know what they say about windows, they don’t close, they slam. I had an awesome one and man did I feel lousy afterwards. At only 6 months off, you’re doing really well

@[Ru...]

Thanks for your insight. Glad I'm not the only one who can relate to the above.

@Marina

You've definitely got that right: it's a marathon, not a sprint, and everybody's timeline is different.

you know what they say about windows, they don’t close, they slam.

That really made me laugh! I could not agree more!

SG

What does window feel like do you get improvement. At 18 months off just get bad days and really  bad days when spend most day crying. Could be anti depressant withdrawal as well I suppose as seems that can be just as bad.

Ieann,

For me, windows are brief periods of time when symptoms are not so severe. I have had 2 or 3 days when anxiety, depression and tinnitus were very faint and sleep would be ok-ish. It felt like a veil was being lifted off my face... I had hope.

That said, windows are far and few apart for me...

SG

Least you get some just worsening waves for me , longer goes on worse it gets. Seems anti depressant withdrawal can be just as bad so praying it's that.

What does window feel like do you get improvement. At 18 months off just get bad days and really  bad days when spend most day crying. Could be anti depressant withdrawal as well I suppose as seems that can be just as bad.

It could very well be the AD withdrawal.

It causes the same probs as Benzos in some ppl even those who were never on Benzos.

Hi leann

I am withdrawing from antidepressant too (amitriptyline)! I reckon it's (in part) the reason why I feel so crappy. Withdrawal syndrome from both benzo and amitriptyline.

You are not alone in your suffering.

SG

Good luck with it, seems everyone's experience with withdrawal is different so hopefully yours will be better. I've got friends stopped no problem.  I felt dreadful on citalopram so sure's it's part of the problem

Yes this is me. No complete windows but I am much more functional and able to distract and even enjoy some of life. The waves are horrid. I too notice that longer or better windows produce a more drastic wave like our brains are trying to find that notorious equilibrium even with this patter.

Go nice and slow with the AD taper. Survivingantidepresants is the BB of ADs. I didn't find much support like I do here with them, but it's the same general idea- slow and listen to your body. Literature shows that AD and Benzo WD both share 37 of 41 symptoms. Serotonin, GABA, none of it is elusive/in a vacuum and all the neuro receptors affect eachother. A healing (hurting) brain is a healing (hurting) brain.

Hi leann

I am withdrawing from antidepressant too (amitriptyline)! I reckon it's (in part) the reason why I feel so crappy. Withdrawal syndrome from both benzo and amitriptyline.

You are not alone in your suffering.

SG

I spoke to a benzo helpline today. She said mine probably mixture of benzo and AD withdrawa as benzo withdrawal can take up to 24 months. I weaned off AD over 6 weeks because made me feel so  awful. She said should of done it over longer period just to let you know.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]