Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Antibiotics

[d6...]

Avoid fluoroquinolones!

I've had UTI at 8 months off and then recently at 14 months off.

I used macrobid both times without any big problems.

I’ve had 2 bad reactions and one was severe! Try cranberry juice and D mannose for 1 day. But your supposed to avoid flouroquinolines.

I think I have a UTI

Will your doc culture it? That way you'll know for sure. If you really do have one, she can prescribe something appropriate. My doc prescribed Macrobid after culturing mine. It was fine. And yeah, do avoid fluouroquinolones. When I didn't know any better I once Cipro for a UTI. Brother. Never again.

Best,

Katz

Try to have a culture done so you are sure to be using the right antibiotic for the bacteria you have. I just went through a terrible time with a stubborn UTI, and if we’d just done the culture first, I’d have only needed one antibiotic instead of the three it ended up taking to get rid of it. In my case, the first wasn’t strong enough, I reacted badly to the second (and it wouldn’t have treated the type of bacteria I had anyway), and the third time was finally the charm. I was out of town and trying to avoid an urgent care in a covid hotspot...in hindsight, I sure wish I’d just gone in.

The only antibiotics to absolutely avoid are the quinolones. Everyone reacts differently to the others, so you just have to try them to know. Most members seem to tolerate macrobid and amoxicillin okay, but again, you won’t know until you try one. I have been taking d. Mannose since my infection as well, and I have done well with that.

If you do have an infection, do not let the fear of reacting keep you from treating it. UTI can travel to the kidneys and even the bloodstream if left untreated for too long.

Best wishes,

Beauty

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]