Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Will I be able to drink alcohol again?

[SF...]

I was taking a low dose of Valium (2-4mg) from August 2019 until May 2020 and have been in withdrawal since early May. I’m done with drinking or smoking pot for the time being but I was curious if I’ll ever be able to enjoy a couple drinks again after I’m done with with withdrawal. I tried drinking a couple of times in the last couple of months and it didn’t go well at all. I’m okay with not drinking at all during recovery, especially with shelter in place going on, but I really want my old life back pre-benzos

The ability and desire to drink alcoholic beverages will vary individually.  I would certainly discourage drinking until you are completely well. How long are you off benzos?

While a return to what we consider a 'normal' life is desirable, it's important to allow your nervous system to recover. Alcohol has been referred to as a liquid benzo because it targets the same area of the brain as benzo. 

Some people retain sensitivity to alcohol for a long time, others not so much. I'm not a big drinker but I didn't try anything until I was completely well. I've been recovered for a long time now and can enjoy a glass of wine on occasion.  I don't have any negative effects from it.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Thanks for the response! I cold turkey'd off a 2-4 mg of valium on May 16. It's been hell but I've been hanging in there. I got drunk in mid-June (big mistake, sent me into the worst of my symptoms for weeks) and then I attempted a couple drinks when I went out with my Mom 2 days ago, and I got some rebound symptoms the next day but not nearly as bad. I'm not going to drink anymore, as the couple of experiments I had ended up not going well for me.

I'm just hoping to return to some form of the life I had pre-benzos. It was a big mistake to start taking valium and to take it with the regularity that I did. :'(

Thanks for the response! I cold turkey'd off a 2-4 mg of valium on May 16. It's been hell but I've been hanging in there. I got drunk in mid-June (big mistake, sent me into the worst of my symptoms for weeks) and then I attempted a couple drinks when I went out with my Mom 2 days ago, and I got some rebound symptoms the next day but not nearly as bad. I'm not going to drink anymore, as the couple of experiments I had ended up not going well for me.

I'm just hoping to return to some form of the life I had pre-benzos. It was a big mistake to start taking valium and to take it with the regularity that I did. :'(

Join the crowd.  I was put on benzos for an inner ear condition that was later determined that I did not have. Go figure!

All we can do is move forward, every day is a day farther away from benzos and closer to healing. You are very early off benzos, try to be patient and accept this process.  Practicing patience now will pay off in the long run as you return to your pre benzo life.

PG  :smitten:

This experience has made me think on many things, but one of them was about alcohol. Yes in my youth I drank too much. But that ended and life went on and I socially drank and theres nothing wrong with that. I remember having a stressful job where for a period of two months I started prob drinking more often but that stopped too thankfully.

So in all of this benzo stuff, I considered the thought what if I can never drink again? How much does that matter to me? Then I realized if that was a big deal in my priorities maybe i should think about my relationship with alcohol. So after much thought I came to the conclusion I don't care if I ever drink again...I just want to be well again and be happy and enjoy the people around me.

Yes, i like a nice glass of wine or a cold hard cider on a hot day, but it doesn't matter anymore.

So I guess what I'm saying is that for me, this was a good time to evaluate what really matters.

What really matters is one day being able to drink a nice strong columbian coffee again  :thumbsup:

[2e...]
I am able to drink again.  Definitely had to take a break during my withdrawal, but I can drink now just like I was able to drink pre-benzo.

Over time I’ve gone from a bad reaction to a half glass of wine to being able to drink a full glass of wine with no negative reaction.  Alcohol affects the same neurotransmitters (GABAa receptors) as benzodiazepines so alcohol is thought to slow one’s healing process. You’ll get there, I’d take it very slow.

:)

I also re-evaluated my desire to drink. I used to socially drink a couple cocktails per day. Last four months I Socially drank probably 5 drinks total. I want to get stable mentally. And will probably cut down from previous level of drinking. I feel I don’t miss it all that much.

Maybe in a few years of you are lucky.

The timeline varies for everyone, one member, RShack has had a glass of wine with dinner throughout his taper and since jumping, we're all different.  :)

Lucky them!

Most ppl avoid it or have to avoid it though.

If I survive I am going will be able to have a Prosecco on my 60th birthday in 8 years time.

I want one now.

Most ppl avoid it or have to avoid it though.

Ajusta, I don't think that's true. That "most ppl" either avoid it or (goodness!!) "have to avoid it". Really? How did you come to this conclusion?

Anyhow, I'm one who can. I waited a couple of years before taking a drink, and now I can have a glass of wine whenever I want. And I enjoy it.

Whatever.

So . . . just my 2 1/2 Cents' worth.

Katz

I think it's true that most people on benzobuddies avoid alcohol but most people on benzobuddies are still in the process of recovering. I highly doubt that everybody who has had a nasty experience with benzos abstains from alcohol for the rest of their life.

I had two pints of weak beer only a couple of weeks after jumping. I'm a massive hypocrite because I did it against the advice that I would give others. I enjoyed them and there has been no payback. For context, I had some horrible times during my taper until I got into the lower doses. Since then, and post jump, my condition has been pretty stable. I was able to take a rare drink every now and then during my taper. I don't even drink monthly but I do enjoy a couple of pints at the pub every so often. I didn't decide I was doing it until I ordered my drink. I kinda wanted to know how sensitized I was and whether I'd be able to manage a drink every now and then or not. I figured if it knocked me back, I'd get over it.

I made quite a weird choice in retrospect. I'm not that bothered about drinking so logically speaking, it wasn't a risk worth taking. I guess I didn't see it as such a big risk.

@[sf...]

You can have a normal social life after coming off benzos.  I’m six months out and enjoy some drinks a few times a week.  A nice home cooked meal and some wine is how I unwind after a stressful day.

Did you abuse alcohol before?  If so, then avoid it.  But if not, then try a little and see how your body reacts. 

Early in my recovery drinking put me in a wave.

Now I can get away with one or two beers or 1 glass of wine—but if I go over that I am in bad shape for several days.

So I rarely indulge and am very careful about the amount when I do.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]