Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Curious...

[Ic...]

I am curious if after withdrawal, there is anyone here who can tolerate things that benzo users usually can't have? For instance, I can have a cup or two of coffee in the morning without any issues. I don't want to think that for the rest of my life I will have to be careful of everything I put in my mouth or something as simple as hand sanitizer.

Yes!

I'm still not 100% but much improved at 14 months now

Things I couldn't tolerate and now can:

Sugar yay!

Chocolate

Popcorn

Certain foods like broccoli

Staying up a little later

Loud music

Flashing movies

Scented lotions and smells

Vitamin C

Advil

Electrolyte drinks

Spicy foods

Salty foods

And probably more....

I've been gluten free, dairy free for 10 years before benzo so don't eat anyway.

Also could not tolerate caffeine, additives,  or b vitamins pre benzo either so still don't do that.

But yes you will be able to at some point!

I had two pints of weak (<4%) ale about a week ago. I thought that I'd be alright and if I wasn't, I figured I'd recover. It was kind of a test... I'm a bit of a risk taker with things like this. I enjoyed the drinks and I'm also happy because I take it as a sign that my CNS isn't on the brink of going haywire at any little thing. That was the test. During my taper, drinking the same amount would have had much bigger consequences. It hasn't set me back at all and that's a pleasant surprise. Not even a slight hangover.

I prefer to eat reasonably healthy but sometimes treat myself. I feel like the consequences aren't such a big deal now. I can get away with it as long as I don't do it too often.

I think it depends on the day for me, such as days when symptoms are high I have to stay away from some things, but on other days I can have them.

My tolerance has bc better and I do test things from time to time. I had removed a ton of things in early wd.

I can now have 2 -4 sips of coffee in mid morning. And I'm fine. Do notice if Ihave some later in the day it messes up my sleep.

I can tolerate 70% cocoa chocolate (I love dark chocolate so this is nice).

Normally I try to avoid added sugars for health reasons. Earlier if I had any in recovery it hit hard. Now I can do small amts.

Organic/non-gmo fresh bread I can do. Realizing its more about the preservatives and chemicals in things and not necessarily the gluten for me.

CANNOT do dairy. Some how in all this I have become lactose intolerant to milk, ice cream, etc. BUT can handle a slice of cheese(must be the way things are processed). I tried ice cream the other night  and paid for it dearly (TMI...)

I'm more of an organic gal, so I try to keep chems to a min anyway. but I have had to use some chemical type products in all this and have had no problems.

By choice I am still avoiding most vitamins and supplements. I can do a couple (low vit D, fish oil, low iron when needed) but I try to get most through my foods for now.

Vinegars and fermented foods are still out for me. maybe in a couple months I'll lick a drop of kombucha and let you know how it goes lol

We are truly all different in this. Just test things in small doses from time to time.

But its still early for you Icy, so go real slow ok? :smitten:

Thank you everyone for the responses.

Pamster, that is great! Considering that your story is close to mine, that gives me hope! I did not know that you cold turkeyed a high dose Klonopin, I think it was, until I read another post you contributed to.

Everything went back to normal for me, I can eat, drink and be merry.  :)

Its official..Pamsters the one to invite to your next party  ;)

Pamster - are you able to drink alcohol?

Nope, I'm recovering but I've read many members say they can enjoy alcohol again.

Everything went back to normal for me, I can eat, drink and be merry.  :)

Its official..Pamsters the one to invite to your next party  ;)

:laugh: 

Coffee is fine, but now that I am working from home,I find that I don’t need it as much.  I was never a big coffee drinker but I do enjoy my morning cappuccino.  Two cups was my limit before covid, nowadays I’m at one cup every other day.

As for alcohol, I enjoy a nice wine with dinner.  The only time I was worried about my alcohol intake was just after jumping.  That first week I was drinking every night.  But now it’s just a few times a week. No weird effects at all.  Actually after a hard day working, a glass of wine and a nice dinner cheers me right up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]
    • [Ko...]
    • [Da...]