Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Hormones

[st...]

Hey everyone. Has anyone had their hormones out of whack or had them tested that showed they were not normal?  I’m almost certain I have Cushings but I can’t think of any reason other than benzos. I want to go to the doctor to check my cortisol but it’s not easy at the moment because of COVID along with no transportation until my mom gets her car back. I know I don’t have a tumor as I had my brain looked at with an MRI in acute when I was having perceptual distortions.

The Cushing’s symptoms started at the very end of 2016 with the weight gain and was super noticeable in 2017 which was my 3rd year on Clonazepam. I had the giant stomach with purple/red stretch marks that went all the way up to the middle of my stomach, the red face, the moon face, and all of the other symptoms like Cognitive problems. My stomach has gone away and only occasionally bloats now. (I’ve lost around 20 lbs since stopping the benzo) but I still have the rest of the symptoms. Can anyone relate or had high levels of hormones?

You def have all the markers for cushings..I'm so sorry. But I'm starting to think endocrine disorders may be brought on by benzos.

My cortisol was so outrageously off base for a year, and it was almost looking like I had hashimotos, or an adrenal tumor...since jumping, my cortisol is def improving. It can take quite awhile for our bodies to reset because our endocrine system is linked to so many other of our systems.

Take the diagnosis seriously, do all the tests, and take time weighing out the results and your options. But keep in the back of your head the benzo part of it.

Hashimoto's affects thyroid hormones and not cortisol, which is an adrenal hormone.

If your centripetal obesity is gone, it is unlikely you have Cushing's. Aside of that, you can't be certain you have any disease unless somebody who is objective (a doctor) diagnosis you. We can't diagnose ourselves.

sorry I meant Addisons..brain fog. Thank you for correcting:)

Welcome. One more comment. In Addison there is a hypofunction (not enough cortisol produced) of the adrenal whereas in Cushing's an overactivity (too much cortisol). Big difference.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]
    • [Ko...]
    • [Da...]