Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How do I know I’m ready for my next reduction

[Mu...]

I’ve reduced my Valium starting in April.  I was at 30mg and am now at 25.  Normally I get a huge anxiety spike in the afternoon but today is a bit better.  What stresses me out the most in the fear of each taper that awaits.  It’s very difficult to stay in the moment but I try.  I walk about 5 or 10 miles a day...no joke.  I feel a bit like Forest Gump.  I have ear pain and jaw pain on my left side.  Have have tinnitus as well. A few Neurologists said that I have Atypical Face Pain but I wonder if it stems from my use of benzos for about 5 years.  Anyway...I honestly don’t think that I will feel totally prepared for my next cut...and I am going extraordinarily slow.  I’m only cutting .25 mg every 2 or 3 weeks.  I am fully knowledgeable about the rekindling stuff.  How do I know that I’m ready?  It’s probably a tough question for anyone to answer but me.  Most have said “Listen to your body”. Well, my body is always telling me that this sucks!!  I’m overwhelmed by most simple tasks but I try to push through the huge waves.  Yesterday during my panic attack I said screw it and went to the grocery store to buy bananas.  I know that sounds like an easy task but for me I just don’t want to give in to this drug.  Anyway..how do you know when to taper if it sucks most days. Also do you folks think nerve pain in my face and ear could be caused by the benzos?

My tapering schedule has been a little bit different then some of the other people on here. I tend to wait at least a month before I cut a dose because it takes me so long to start to feel better. Most of the time the first two weeks are extremely difficult, the next week is better and by the fourth week I'm feeling much better. Sometimes I will hold a little longer when there is something difficult going on. This time I am waiting an extra couple of weeks because I have had some panic attacks that were more extreme than usual. So ultimately it's probably best to do the cut when you are feeling strong and more stable. I don't know that there's ever a perfect time but this is what works for me. I don't know about the face pain, I have so many symptoms and so many aches and pains that it certainly could be but it's hard to say. I will say that my TMJ joint dysfunction is much worse now because I'm clenching my jaw a lot.

SSR...thanks for the reply.  I have a feeling that your TMJ pain is similar to what I’m experiencing.  When I have panic attacks I naturally clench more.  It’s causes issues ear pain, fullness and tinnitus.  That just fuels the anxiety for me.  I try to get some exercise and distraction each day but it’s so darn hard

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]