Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Meditation With Withdrawals

[Pl...]

Hey guys  :)

I have been meditating now for around 1 year or so, been tapering off diazepam for over 18 months (on 2mg and holding for 2 months). Have found it helps a lot, but I do struggle at times to meditate. I usually do around 20-45 mins per day, each time I do 10-15mins sessions. I use Headspace app. Sometimes I find my self fidgeting or I sweating, itching and i get irritated and can't seem to stay with it and have to open my eyes and then try and do it all over. I can't stay present. Sometimes I can stay with it but struggle other times.

Anyone else struggle with meditation whilst tapering and what tips have you got if any.

What apps etc do you use and how long do you meditate for?

Thank you  :thumbsup:

Hi Plasticman-

I'm a Headspace fan - I've been using it for about 4 years.  I can relate to what you describe about having trouble sitting and staying focused sometimes.  I think in some ways it's just the nature of how meditation challenges us to stay present.  I often remind myself that meditation is a practice - that I'm practicing it and learning more about it each time.  Sometimes it's harder than others - sometimes my mind just wants to run off and think about something or other.  I don't see any pattern other than perhaps being more restless some days than others.  If I'm restless I'll aim for 10 minutes once a days; if not I do 20 minutes once a day.  I admire your discipline doing it twice a day!

Sometimes I found it easier to deal with a meditation pack that concentrate on visualization - for example Letting Go of Stress.

Take care,

Brighterday  :)

Hi Plasticman-

I'm a Headspace fan - I've been using it for about 4 years.  I can relate to what you describe about having trouble sitting and staying focused sometimes.  I think in some ways it's just the nature of how meditation challenges us to stay present.  I often remind myself that meditation is a practice - that I'm practicing it and learning more about it each time.  Sometimes it's harder than others - sometimes my mind just wants to run off and think about something or other.  I don't see any pattern other than perhaps being more restless some days than others.  If I'm restless I'll aim for 10 minutes once a days; if not I do 20 minutes once a day.  I admire your discipline doing it twice a day!

Sometimes I found it easier to deal with a meditation pack that concentrate on visualization - for example Letting Go of Stress.

Take care,

Brighterday  :)

Hey Brighterday

yes very true, its is a practice  :) Lol sometimes I forget that, feel that after a year I should be better at it than sometimes I feel I am, but each day is different as you say and just got to stay present and not get so frustrated when I feel I am not getting as much out of it as the time before.

Yeah try and do it around 2-3 times a day, you get into a routine, I can't sit there for 20-30mins in one go, find it easier doing it a few times a day for around 10-15mins ago.

Yeah Headspace is great, I have used Calm as well but don't find it so instructive as Headspace.

I have to do guided meditation because otherwise I'm too restless because of the withdrawals. I use Jon Kabot Zinns program. I like his body scan and the guided meditation. He talks you through the whole time and I find that it lets me calm down quicker and I can stay settled for the 40 minutes.

I have to do guided meditation because otherwise I'm too restless because of the withdrawals. I use Jon Kabot Zinns program. I like his body scan and the guided meditation. He talks you through the whole time and I find that it lets me calm down quicker and I can stay settled for the 40 minutes.

Yeah ditto, I have to use guided meditation on headspace. Sometimes I use semi-guided but find myself fidgeting to much and yeah I get restless. Especially if its hot I find myself sweating or fidgeting.

Ok cool, wow 40mins thats really good going  :thumbsup: nice. Think the maxiumum I have done is 30mins and I did struggle.

Is that an app that you use? Jon Kabot Zinns program

• 2 weeks later...
It's actually a cd set that I've used for years but I noticed that someone has put a lot of his programs on YouTube as well. I like the body scan the best but they are all good.

I'm glad you asked this question - I have been wondering if anyone has struggled with meditation as well.

I am really working at it, it seems like a good skill to help me during and after the taper.  I do struggle though, it is hard not to notice the strange taper-related symptoms in my body.  Right now I have a lot of muscle twitches that make it hard to sit still. 

I also do some somatic tracking (videos on YouTube, Curable (app) which is supposed to address the way your body relates to pain.

This is the no. 1 thing I would be doing if could physically find bearable position to do it in.

Before muscles were so bad would do 20minutes of vipassana  and it would stop head fizzing etc.

Lets face it...... meditating while your body is vibrating and your ears are screaming like a kettle, is a bizarre experience. 

Still - meditation is a lifeline for me - especially when I get really worn thin and sleep deprived. 

I am using a free app called Let's Meditate.  Her voice is so wonderful,  the timing and pacing of her visualizations have brought me to tears. 

I started meditation when things got out of hand when I was tapering and at acute and I noticed I couldnt stay focused and calm even though it helped a lot when I couldnt do anything. Now, I my meditation is on point, doing 2-3 times a day with 20 minute each time. There were plenty of times where meditation didn't even work before when withdrawals were out of hand. Now I see most of the benefits and I feel great everytime. I use youtube (the honest guys, the mindful movement) the 20 minute mindfulness meditation sessions. I definetely need new sources now.

I started meditation when things got out of hand when I was tapering and at acute and I noticed I couldnt stay focused and calm even though it helped a lot when I couldnt do anything. Now, I my meditation is on point, doing 2-3 times a day with 20 minute each time. There were plenty of times where meditation didn't even work before when withdrawals were out of hand. Now I see most of the benefits and I feel great everytime. I use youtube (the honest guys, the mindful movement) the 20 minute mindfulness meditation sessions. I definetely need new sources now.

I am still tapering and I can only manage to do a maximum of 15mins each time, but thats great to hear that you feel the benefits even more now that you have finished withdrawals. Never done meditation without withdrawals so hopefully I will get the maximum benefits as well when I have finished tapering too  :thumbsup: I still get the benefits but would be nice to do it for longer periods without having to stop.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]