Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Reinstating diazpam after withdrawal due to pregnancy

[cl...]

Hi guys

This is a bit of a tricky one I am not looking for medical advice just if anyone has any pointers out there or experiences...

Its been almost 7 months since jumping off. I dont need to explain how awful the withdrawals were. (It's getting easier each week that goes by). I am in normal windows most of time. However stress, sugar, caffeine and exertion stimulate me into a hyper anxious state including all the usual horrendous withdrawal symptoms. Heres the tricky part - I am 6 months pregnant with a miracle baby.So as the weeks are going on when I experience the bad waves... it's not good for baby. It has been discussed use of dizapam by the doctors. If I was to take a small dose ... would I have to start withdrawal all over again?? Also for the birth it may be required as stress and exertion is a huge issue for that! And as you all know... these severe windows...no matter how much breathing exercises and medication it doesnt have any effect to calm one body and mind down!

I am not looking for medical advice ..( dont want to put people in a position). I just am wondering if reinstating diazpam will re launch the withdrawals from the start??

[c4...]

First congrats to the baby. Second...isnt diazepam dangerous to take during pregnancy??? Cant babys get addicted? Thats happens to the baby when opiates are given or taken during pregnancy even alcohol cause severe w/d to the baby. What happens to a baby when not given diazepam from the mothers blood  after birth? Does it goes into w/d?  Yes a new withdrawal. It can also get much worse like kindling. Yes it will be back to start again. All work done is gone.

Good luck with your baby  :smitten:

Aw thanks you!!

Yes I thought the same as you that's why not keen!!!

That's what I thought.... they say not in small doses and I keep getting the benefits outweigh the risks talk from doctor ,(cause my anixtey levels climb so high)

Real tricky one

Thank you and otherwise baby is looking great. 

Reinstating is reinstating and I'm sorry to say this, but the diazepam is worse for the baby than your withdrawal symptoms. I was advised not to get pregnant because I was on Lorazepam, so the advice you're getting is confusing to me. This is my advice, and I've reinstated so this is from experience: You have a child coming that will need all your focus, being off drugs permanently now, once and for all, will allow you a lifetime of being able to do just that, focus on your child, not on your addiction. Withdrawal passes. Reinstating just means you'll have to go through it all over again. Once you're tapered, there's no guaranty reinstating will even work (it stopped working for me) and that's a particularly cruel one: you're on a drug that's hurting you in withdrawal that's hurting you, it's hell, I wouldn't wish it on a serial killer *well, maybe* You're done, congrats, I know how hard it is, now for your own good and everyone else's, stay off. ps the shift in hormones due to pregnancy can be really hard a withdrawal brain, but it can also add to making your reaction to the drug unpredictable. Seriously, just say no. Been there.

Thank you so much for your wonderful reply !!

I think we are on same page and yes the doctors advice is frustrating.  I am in UK too I have noted different attitudes to other countries.

I am at 90% of pre benzo and never want to go back to that hell again!

I will stand firm.

Thank you so much for putting my mind as ease.

So I took benzos during my second pregnancy and my baby was thrown in NICU for 6 weeks, had to withdrawal, and CPS investigated me to make sure I hadn’t been recreationally using (I hadn’t been - a doctor had been convincing me to take it).

So honestly that’s what happened to me.

I was in withdrawal during my 3rd pregnancy and baby came out just fine . Withdrawal didn’t affect him at all.

So unless you want to see your baby on a feeding tube in active withdrawals, id avoid listening to doctors who don’t know wtf they’re talking about. Not trying to be harsh on you - but it happened to my baby and i still have PTSD from it. I didn’t get to take him home for 6 straight weeks.

The baby I just had though? I was pregnant during withdrawal and oh my - he’s so happy and healthy and latched right away and was wide awake.

My baby just turned 11 months old today. I was only 14 months off valium when I got pregnant. I had withdrawls and she came out perfectly healthy. I would not risk reinstating but that is my personal opinion.

Thank you thank you thank you

To both of you.

Your keeping me strong !!! 

I will keep going!!

I will keep reading this every time the doctors bring it up.

Yes stay strong for sure!!!! Going through withdrawl after the baby is born would be far worse in my opinion. Stay strong you got this!!!

I’ve already asked Meganz this question, but for the others here: if you don’t mind my asking, what is your age? The reason I ask is I’m hoping to get pregnant again once I finish my taper and I’m an “older” mom at 35 now.

Thanks girls.

I am actually 36.  I fell pregnant without trying as soon as I stopped the benzos so there is definitely something in benzos that affects fertility....m they cant say it was stress preventing pregnancy as I was severely unwell once I jumped off with the acute withdrawal

Your still young

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]