Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Family

[Ic...]

So, I am wondering how everyone else is doing with maintaining family relationships? At first both of my parents were supportive, but now after living with them for 8 months, they are starting to show their impatience. Everything is fine as long as I pretend to be fine. No one wants to hear how I am doing because as someone pointed out to me, "We're sick of hearing it." Neither of my siblings speak to me. My brother, who has never dealt with a mental illness, tells me to grow up and act like an adult. My sister-in-law who is on about 50 meds for a mental illness, including benzos, tells me it is all in my head because that didn't happen to her. Both her and my nephew tell me that withdrawals are not a thing and it is mind over matter. They were/are addicted to drugs, and when I sought some advice, I was called weak and over dramatic. It was even suggested that I just go to a psych ward. Oddly enough, I don't complain that much. I do try to be optimistic, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when I asked for help from possibly not returning to work this year.

I have a very small support system but yes. My husband is extremely supportive but is weary because it's been eight months and I'm still tapering. I think it's just very tiring for those around us. I've been trying to not complain about stuff every day and also using a journal app. I use youper. 😊

[6c...]

My wife was supportive, but honestly, nobody wants to hear about this stuff - especially since it often drags out for months.  One really has to go thru this or something similar to appreciate what we go through.

I tried to do what I had to do (house/yard work stuff), and otherwise tried to be mostly quiet about my various symptoms.

Withdrawal/recovery is often a lonely path.  That's why you have all these wonderful people here in this forum. 

Oh icy...I am so sorry. this is a lonely road.

Whats also frustrating is when you print stuff for people to read or try to show them videos or documentaries on this..they still don't want to learn about it.

I do have a few ppl who have been at least open to what I share and were not entirely dismissive. When you share, I've learned I need to do it in a way that is not emotional and almost scholarly so as not to appear psychotic (even though waves can make you feel that way...). Presentation is everything.

I hide a lot honestly.

The times I have cried in private in a pillow to stifle my sobs have been many.....in the shower...in the car... back of the yard.

I was lucky that I was validated one day when my husband shared that a colleague of his was trying to get off meds and was having a really rough time. this person said " I don't know how your wife is doing it". Bc my husband has so much respect for this guy, it turned the page for him to realize i wasn't crazy. 

We get it ....thats why this exists.. to take turns supporting one another...hugs :smitten:

Great replies here. Nobody knows what this feels like unless you go through it yourself. It is simply unexplainable. I even forget how bad it was/is when I start feeling better. Then I get whomped again and remember. Fortunately the whomps are getting milder. I hope they get better for you too. Hang in there.

my parents are very supportive still, I am lucky enough to have loving/understanding parents. I keep a lot back to myself, as I don't want to scare them.  I hear what you guys are saying, I have it where my brother or fiancee says its all in your head or I understand what you are going through, lol you bloody well don't I am afraid. What gets on my nerves  >:( is my fiancee at times where she says get a grip, for pete's sake I am trying and it gets frustrating. But she loves me and in her own way is trying to push me to break the cycle of anxiety etc, but its not that easy  :(.

Also everyone has there own opinion of how I should come off benzo's, take this med no don't take this med. You are tapering to fast or too slow etc etc lol I forget everyone I know is a bloody expert on benzo's, hang on I didn't realise I knew all these doctors lol very annoying

Yeah agree its a lonely road and at times i feel I am isolated from others, but if you haven't gone through this its hard to understand what its like except telling people what you are going through. I feel sometimes people think I am over dramatising things, but as we all know benzo withdrawal is like going to hell and back.

Glad I found this forum to realise I am not alone and we can get through this  :thumbsup:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]
    • [Ko...]
    • [Da...]