Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

NOT SVT - it was benzos

[Me...]

Hey all,

I’ve been having these moments where my HR jumps to 140-150 and won’t come down for hours.

I thought I had SVT but my rythymn is regular sinus tachycardia, every time I get an EKG.... (meaning my heart is fine - just fast).

I’m going to a cardiologist finally, and the ER doc put me on propranolol (which helps with anxiety too).

I just have this gut feeling that the cardiologist is going to say he doesn’t know what’s wrong with me, or call these episodes panic attacks (THEY ARE NOT)

Last time I had an episode where it shot up to 140 - I was eating salad and hanging out. I wasn’t panicking at all. Is this like inappropriate release of adrenaline from w/d? I can’t think of any other reason this would be happening.

It happened to me Everytime after eating something either with msg, artificial sweeteners or food high in glutamate. It never happened after I cut off all of those.

Really!? It’s been triggered by food for me every time now that I think about it. But it’s only happened 3 times in the last year. It’s really scary when it happens. I go to the ER thinking I’m dying.

I joined a “SVT” support group on Facebook - convinced that’s what I had.

It always leads back to the frickin benzos

Thanks for sharing 4mom.

I hope you’re doing well today <333

Did your episodes last awhile? And how high did your HR go?

It sounds suspiciously like a histamine release.  If you look up histamine panic attack(not really a panic attack) there is plenty to read on the mechanics of it. It sucks.  Every food/drink that I have become intolerant of(most everything) produces this reaction.  Carrots really cause me to release a ton of histamine and feels like a heart issue.

Mine could go up to 140 or 160.  I never had it before jumping off completely. Each episode can last for a few hrs. All together I think I had it for a few months from month 1 to month 4 when I eliminated all those food. It happened several times after that too when I was exposed to some chemicals including cleaning products. Now I'm completely sealed from all those. Thank you the kind words, I'm doing a lot worse now due to covid. It caused me severe nerve sx plus a few partial strokes so far.

Carrots actually is ok for me. Are you saying carrot is high in histamine, myke?

lol!  No I am not, that is just one of the latest food sensitivities that has become a pretty serious intolerance/histamine release trigger for me personally.  Sorry for the confusion.

Hey there, just wondering if you have had all your vitamins and electrolytes checked?

A weird thing that happened to me 2014 looong Before benzos was that my HR suddenly went wacko and it was like 160 or 180 resting

My hubby woke up in the night because he could feel my heart beating so fast in the bed next to him🤣

Anyway, it turned out I had very low potassium...it can really screw with HR. I had to have IV potassium and drinks for a while!

Not saying this is what it is, but they are simple blood tests...and if everything checks out fine and EKG is fine....then I would chalk it up to good ole WD :-\

• 1 month later...

Southern, my potassium was super low during this episode. They had me drink potassium in the ER....I had trouble eating the week leading up to it.

THANK YOU for connecting these dots for me! I haven’t had this issue since - so im going to chalk it up to low potassium.

I did have a panic attack that set my HR off to the races, but once I mentally calmed down my HR went down - unlike the time when my potassium was low - it just ran and ran. So scary! I’ve been eating yogurt and eggs every day to avoid this!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]