Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Somatic symptom disorder

[Go...]

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this, or just me? Gosh I run to the dr constantly thinking I have so many things. Even though my symptoms are real they can find absolutely nothing!

It's very common in withdrawal to have anxiety about physical symptoms. If you do a search of "health anxiety" or "hypochondria" you'll find posts about it.  I've seen many posts where members express worry that they're sick, get checked out and are told there's nothing wrong.  I experienced this too.  It tends to improve as your brain heals and readjusts after Benzos.

Take care,

Brighterday

Well I figured out I have been dealing with chemical sensitivity and that is a while different thing than benzo withdrawl. It’s way worse for me than coming off Benzos. I’ve been off valium for 2 1/2 years already.

We aren’t hypochondriacs. These symptoms we have are not only real but they are terrifying. I’ve been to the ER at least 12 times in the last 2 years. It’s scary.

Just because the docs can’t SEE or test what’s wrong with us doesn’t mean nothing is wrong.

We don’t have hypochondria, we are terrified of REAL physical pain that no one else can see ;(

• Like 1

Megan - yes absolutely the symptoms are real. 

Hypochondria is the intense fear of serious illness - it doesn't mean we're imagining symptoms. 

I know I often feared my symptoms meant something dire but after getting checked out by my doctor serious illness was ruled out.  The symptoms were still real and tormented me but I felt reassured. It meant didn't have to carry that extra layer of fear and worry that something even worse happening.

Well I figured out I have been dealing with chemical sensitivity and that is a while different thing than benzo withdrawl. It’s way worse for me than coming off Benzos. I’ve been off valium for 2 1/2 years already.

God - are you sure the chemical sensitivity isn’t just from withdrawal? That was a huge symptom for me

God - are you sure the chemical sensitivity isn’t just from withdrawal? That was a huge symptom for me

I agree with this. I see that Trileptal was tapered off November of last year. I would be very optimistic that this symptom will greatly reduce or fully clear up eventually.

That is an utterly bullshit and invested disorder against which I campaigned years ago when it was being debated.

All it means is you have symptoms you are caused anxiety by.

It is a ‘non’ diagnosis.

I don’t know what’s what anymore. All I know is I feel like I am DYING every single day. I’ve lost 10 lbs in the last month due to stress. I’m breastfeeding and don’t want to lose my supply. I have had flu symptoms bad and chronic diarrhea since October. I have been to he drs so many times and they can’t find anything wrong. I never feel reassured because they say this isn’t withdrawl and yet I’m so sick with no answers.

I actually just came off the Trileptal 3 weeks ago today!

I agree with this. I see that Trileptal was tapered off November of last year. I would be very optimistic that this symptom will greatly reduce or fully clear up eventually.

• 2 years later...
I was just “diagnosed” with this as a possibility.  I have had multiple negative experiences with SSRIs and now tapering off the benzo.  My doctor says I am physically fine but I’m struggling so hard.  I’m hoping this nightmare doesn’t last forever. 

Yes but it seems like most of them come from inflammation which is real, the tgfb1 test I had confirmed I have systemic inflammation.  All started getting off the drugs

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]