Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

ct21 off ambien

[ur...]

Hey

I took mostly ambien (10mg daily in the last two months before CT) and (some )xanax on and off for about a year. In this year my mental health has deteriorated rendering me unable to work or perform even the most basic tasks. I finished med school 1,5 years ago and havent entered my training since. During this time I have suffered from depression, panic attacks and severe fatigue. I never noticed that ambien could have had an impact on my health.

I decided to quit all substances, alcohol and caffeine 21 days ago and initially went through a terrible phase that lasted until now. I suffered from insomnia, loss of appetite, twitching of toes (might even be RLS), anhedonia, depression and horribly vivid nightmares that would go on forever. I can still remember all of them in detail.

In the last couple days my symptoms are drastically improving and I feel better than I have in a long time. Its confusing to me how ambien withdrawal is rarely discussed (some publications even recommend daily usage) making me wonder whether I am the exception or not.

Thanks for letting me join btw. Great community.

Hello urinbeutel :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are glad you are here. Congratulations on being off Benzos and Ambien as well.  Sporadic use of benzos over time can lead to dependency. I'm sorry you've been going through such a difficult time. The symptoms you experienced are common in withdrawal.  Benzos should really be tapered off slowly.  Medications like Ambien work on the same receptors as benzodiazepines also need to be tapered gradually. I am pleased that you are feeling better. 

We have a very helpful and friendly community. Please feel free to ask questions so members can respond with the appropriate information.  I'm going to give you a link to the Ashton Manual, It will give you a better understanding about why you feel the way you do.  While the manual  mainly addresses benzos, there is some information about the z drugs, such as Ambien.

Professor Ashtons Manual 

Here is a link to our post withdrawal support boards

Cold Turkey Detox & Rapid Withdrawal Board

Post withdrawal recovery support.

If you would like to add a signature line, that will appear at the bottom of each post, describing your medication history. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Hello, I quit Ambien cold turkey as well. You're not abnormal; Ambien works a lot like a benzo. In fact, some say it works better than a benzo because it acts quicker and is known as one of the best anti-anxiety meds. I am suffering from CT in the same way as people on benzos. The only withdrawal the medical community admits to is insomnia, but honestly, that went away after about a week. The other "benzo like" symptoms stayed with me, including benzo flu. This is a great site, glad you joined!

Thank you for the replies!

Its good to know that I am not alone in this.

At 21 ct I still have zero appetite until late in the evening and I feel groggy in the morning. Apart from that, I have had my first somewhat productive day in a long time.

Hello, I quit Ambien cold turkey as well. You're not abnormal; Ambien works a lot like a benzo. In fact, some say it works better than a benzo because it acts quicker and is known as one of the best anti-anxiety meds. I am suffering from CT in the same way as people on benzos. The only withdrawal the medical community admits to is insomnia, but honestly, that went away after about a week. The other "benzo like" symptoms stayed with me, including benzo flu. This is a great site, glad you joined!

Sorry to hear that the symptoms still persist. I read through your posts a bit. Hope it gets better!

I stopped Ambien cold turkey and had horrible nightmares and insomnia but once I stopped taking it the interdose withdrawals were gone.  I experienced terrible depression while taking Ambien along with inner trembling and agitation.  I'm gratified to know you're on your way to recovering from your Ambien use.  Sleep is so much better now, its deeply satisfying, not the shallow sleep I had while on the drug.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [An...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [PE...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Vi...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Ma...]