Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Alcohol

[Me...]

To those who have healed,

Can you enjoy alcohol again? At what point do you know it’s safe?

Most of my symptoms are gone - but I’m scared to trigger them all back. When will I know?

Also...can I ever take psych medication again without it negatively affecting me?

If I ever have to go on an antidepressant, etc....when will it be safe?

[92...]
I honestly wouldn't risk it. Too many setbacks from it. How are you feeling so much better when a week ago you were bad?

Perth I wasn’t BAD a week ago. I was having some symptoms. They come and go.

That is far from “bad”.

I am hugely healed.

1-2 “non painful” symptoms that come and go vs. what I used to be? I’m doing fantastic.

I want to feel normal again and drink with friends.

meganz I am At this point as well. I have decided to try to wait a year. I have drank a few times during this. the last time, It took me 3 months to get back to were I was and it was a brutal 3 months. At the end of the day it is simply not worth it. I have read folks on here say once your symtom free wait a year from that time to began drinking and start SLOW. I may be following this advice. Who knows I may give it up for good...

I began cautiously drinking a glass of wine now and then about a year after my taper. I really missed it. I was brought up in France where it's part of the culture. Anyhow, I felt no ill effects, so continued. I drink a glass now occasionally with dinner. No big deal. It's something else I didn't want benzos to take away from me . . . and they didn't. Also coffee.

I think, of course, that everyone's different. You can just try these things in a small way and see if you're adversely affected. If they do, then stop. Neither bothered me, and I was glad to put them back into my life.

Katz

My theory....WHEN I feel healed and then some...I might try a sip of kombucha first bc its fermented and see how i feel. If that goes well I may do a sip of something alcoholic with low alcohol content...like a cooler or beer. If that goes well a sip of wine another time.

I'll be like 80 years old before I try anything hard  ;)

Just the thought of it scares the pants off of me right now. You know what I miss more than a drink..coffee. I miss the ritual of my morning coffee.

Thanks for all of your advice! <3333 I won’t be getting smashed any time soon lol (probably never again!)

I’ll wait another year before I try!

You know what I miss more than a drink..coffee. I miss the ritual of my morning coffee.

I did, too, Trina. A lot. I tried first decaf (true decaf -- Swiss water process decaf), then half caf, then "real" coffee. It all worked out fine. But I was cautious. And now . . . ahhhhh. As with wine, I started low and slow. I just couldn't accept that I would have to live my life without the things I enjoyed.

Best,

Katz

Katz...looking forward to that day:) And yes I know about the swiss decaf method - the other is processed horribly!

Are you all healed? By your signature you've had quite a journey.

Hi Trina. Yes, I'm pretty much healed. A little residual dizziness and tinnitus which may or may not go away. I'm waiting. And if they never go away (ototoxic damage??) then so be it. I consider myself pretty darned lucky.

Best to you,

Katz

My theory....WHEN I feel healed and then some...I might try a sip of kombucha first bc its fermented and see how i feel. If that goes well I may do a sip of something alcoholic with low alcohol content...like a cooler or beer. If that goes well a sip of wine another time.

I'll be like 80 years old before I try anything hard  ;)

Just the thought of it scares the pants off of me right now. You know what I miss more than a drink..coffee. I miss the ritual of my morning coffee.

What’s wrong with fermented foods? I saw online it can help gaba? I don’t drink kombucha but I eat pickles. Should I not be doing that?

desert...everyone is different...but fermented foods can be in the same category as alcohol, which affects gaba the same as benzos..for a healthy person its good. for ppl like us who have damaged gaba its not a good thing.

Its hard bc fermented is good for gut health which is good for serotonin production. But benzos change everything bc of the damage from them. thats why so many ppl have a hard time with supplements too. All our systems are out of balance.

Fermented food/drinks are high in histamines and very often in benzo withdrawals we become essentially  histamine intolerant.  I cannot eat any fresh fruits/vegetables because of their High histamine levels.  I love avocados(=very high in histamines) but they are scary bad for me now.  I try to periodically drink some keefer for the healthy bacteria, but I am not sure that taking in all the accompanying histamines really results in a net positive and am going to cut it for now. In my amateur opinion a low histamine diet is often going to be the best choice to avoid having symptoms exacerbated by the susceptibility to histamines. 

I wouldn’t risk it but that me. I’ve been in the worst hell for 7 months. I developed chemical sensitivity just from cleaning products. If your feeling well just enjoy it! I’d do anything for 1 day of no symptoms again. Ultimately it’s up to you though, and only you can make that decision.

I wouldn’t risk it but that me. I’ve been in the worst hell for 7 months. I developed chemical sensitivity just from cleaning products. If your feeling well just enjoy it! I’d do anything for 1 day of no symptoms again. Ultimately it’s up to you though, and only you can make that decision.

I once had chemical sensitivity but it’s pretty much gone now! No more hives!

Also...can I ever take psych medication again without it negatively affecting me?

If I ever have to go on an antidepressant, etc....when will it be safe?

Use my story as a cautionary tale. I had healed completely as of approximately September 2019. Post-jump, I suffered so intensely from daily migraines. I felt like I lived in hell. Then they suddenly began to fade. I healed very rapidly in that 3rd month and by the first week of September I was over the most troubling symptoms - the head stuff. Some insomnia remained but nothing too horrible like a migraine every day.

Fast forward to April 25th and 26th 2020 when I was at the end of my rope after sleeping very little for going on 3 weeks. I had a little Klonopin left so I figured, why not? 2 pills can't hurt me. I took 1mg each day for 2 days, and the following week ALL of my WD symptoms returned, and they brought friends. Symptoms I'd never had like burning brain, burning scalp, severe fatigue, in addition to the daily migraines and head pressure we all back. I couldn't believe it was possible. So here it is 3 months later and I'm at the point where I'm almost back to normal, but again I have suffered physically and mentally to such a great degree. Taking those pills is easily the dumbest thing I've ever done and it's honestly the greatest regret I've had in recent memory.

As alcohol's mechanism of action on the brain is essentially identical to that of benzos, I would stay away. I'm a sober alcoholic (nearly 8 years sober), so it's never been on my radar, but I implore anyone serious about recovery to abstain. The risk to me doesn't seem worth it. Imagine erasing years of recovery for a couple drinks?

I once had chemical sensitivity but it’s pretty much gone now! No more hives!

Oh my gosh this makes me feel so happy! I’m hoping these sensitivities go away! I’m happy for you that your doing well. Congratulations on your baby by the way!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [BN...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [ho...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Sl...]
    • [Ga...]
    • [Ko...]
    • [Da...]