Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Worsening Muscle Tightness

[Ta...]

I'm in month 2 after CT.  I'm experiencing worsening muscle tightness.  It's not just anxiety.  I and actually see the muscles tightning up. It's around my chest, back, shoulders, and throat.  My throat gets so tight sometimes that I can barely breath.  Is this a form of disdonia? Does Benadryl help?  Did anyone else have this and did it go away or get worse? 

Hi Tallgolfer,

I had the throat tightness, it was so uncomfortable. I did a lot of looking up and swallowing to stretch it and it seemed to help. It gradually went away and yours will too. Hang in there.

Thanks for the reply.  It's been about two months of this for me.  How long did it take for yours to go away. 

My body is crushing itself head to feet, back, front, sides.

Hard rigid gristle everywhere, sound bent out, jaw snaps shit if try to open mouth. Hell.

I don't have any advice but I can relate. I'm having horrible chest tightness. I feel like I'm wearing a corset. This happened last month when I cut my dose as well. I went to the doc and had an EKG which was normal. I have a phone consult with the doctor tomorrow. It's extremely frustrating because I think it's benzo withdrawals. Sheer hell. Mine does seem to get better after a few weeks but it's not always linear.

THanks for your replies.  Mine too waxes and wanes.  Some days it's a slight pressure other days it's full on. 

I'm having horrible chest tightness right now in the a.m. after barely 1 week of c/t taking ativan for only a couple of weeks at .25 a day. I had an ekg and a stress test last week and everything was fine. Belly Breathing does help.

In my experience they all go away slowly from out to in, the in being your head area. After one year the only physical symptom I have is my jaw/neck and that too is getting better. I felt like I had lockjaw the days that followed after jumping, it was brutal. I had to relearn to eat food again and I enjoyed a steak today with no issues which is proof that it heals no matter how bad. With patience it’ll go away in no time  :thumbsup:

Did you have big knots of gristle in jaw joint, jaw snapping shut if try to open it, teeth too tight and hurts to bit anything and so tight in neck and shoulders that head pulled back on neck, shoulder forced up, can’t retract chin, spine forced to bow because no room for it to lengthen as all muscles contracted, rigid abdomen and sides, legs rigid etc?

I desperately need some hope.

HI Ajusta,  I'm thinking of you and praying for your recovery.  Mine is in the chest and neck and shoulders.  In the morning, early afternoon its a little bit there.  At night the muscles get tight.  I currently don't have anything in my jaw. 

In my experience they all go away slowly from out to in, the in being your head area. After one year the only physical symptom I have is my jaw/neck and that too is getting better. I felt like I had lockjaw the days that followed after jumping, it was brutal. I had to relearn to eat food again and I enjoyed a steak today with no issues which is proof that it heals no matter how bad. With patience it’ll go away in no time  :thumbsup:

Did you have big knots of gristle in jaw joint, jaw snapping shut if try to open it, teeth too tight and hurts to bit anything and so tight in neck and shoulders that head pulled back on neck, shoulder forced up, can’t retract chin, spine forced to bow because no room for it to lengthen as all muscles contracted, rigid abdomen and sides, legs rigid etc?

I desperately need some hope.

Ajusta. When I experienced tolerance, and lowered the dose, I had all these symptoms. After many years with Benzo, they have the opposite effect. Therefore, there is hope that everything will get better when your body is free. As you have written, your body doesn't like Benzo.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]