Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Adrenals-help

[Ta...]

Hi,  Does anyone have info. on the adrenals and WD.  I can actually feel my adrenals working overtime.  I can feel them in my back.  I'm having a ton of anxiety attacks every couple of hours.  I'm in month two and my sleep has become worse.  the adrinaline is waking me up every hour/2 hours.  So I'm getting about 3-4 hours sleep at night. 

Is there anything I can do to calm these adrenals? 

I don't have much info but I definitely have symptoms, especially in the early morning. I use a natural product called Rescue Remedy. It helps a little. These are flower essences. I also use one called Rock Rose which is for fright. That also helps me. I also use a homoeopathic remedy called calms forte. They are pills. I put them under my tongue and let them dissolve.

Just a heads up that some ppl have success with supplements, but for many others it really makes things worse. So exercise caution please:)

Hi,  Does anyone have info. on the adrenals and WD.  I can actually feel my adrenals working overtime.  I can feel them in my back.  I'm having a ton of anxiety attacks every couple of hours.  I'm in month two and my sleep has become worse.  the adrinaline is waking me up every hour/2 hours.  So I'm getting about 3-4 hours sleep at night. 

Is there anything I can do to calm these adrenals?

Have you tried melatonin or unisum to help you sleep? 3-4 hours is just about all anyone gets I feel like. I get about that much sometimes I’ll hit a good day and get more but mostly that or less

As you've been cautioned, some supplements work well for some people, others not so much. I have used supplements through two tapers from different classes of drugs. Older female with high drug sensitivity. Never had an issue with vitamin C and non-flush niacin. Found it very useful to be calm and stop adrenal rush.

Please check your blood sugar. Even if never had problems before, high glutamate acts on the insulin cells of the pancreas and can cause sudden highs and lows. Low blood sugar will trigger an adrenal response as it mobilizes stored sugar from the liver. Easy test is to drink small amount of juice and eat something like peanut butter and see if it subsides in about 20 minutes.

I recommend people invest in a glucometer to check as it gives feedback and helps you correct the issue.

Vitamin C supports adrenals and does many other things to deal with drug metabolites. The vitamin C needs to be buffered or liposomal to be easier on the gut. I would use 1000mg at a time with daily dose up to 6000mg often. Know some forms can cause loose stools at higher doses. The non-flush niacin does not give the hot sensation or temporary rash. It is very sedating. 1000mg dose multiple times per day. I found it useful to take on a set schedule like x3/day and then more as needed.

Other things that helped and were pretty benign: taurine and L-theanine will lower glutamate. It is the excitatory chemical normally balanced by GABA. *Taurine can lower BS. take with food. One recent scientific study mentioned taurine downgrading receptors but it was on mice with"chronic use." Not sure how that translates to humans. Other studies like one in 2008 stated it helped GABA receptors. L-theanine helped all classes of neurotransmitters and has been linked to changing brainwaves. L-theanine has been studied extensively for sleep.

Hope that is helpful.

As you've been cautioned, some supplements work well for some people, others not so much. I have used supplements through two tapers from different classes of drugs. Older female with high drug sensitivity. Never had an issue with vitamin C and non-flush niacin. Found it very useful to be calm and stop adrenal rush.

Please check your blood sugar. Even if never had problems before, high glutamate acts on the insulin cells of the pancreas and can cause sudden highs and lows. Low blood sugar will trigger an adrenal response as it mobilizes stored sugar from the liver. Easy test is to drink small amount of juice and eat something like peanut butter and see if it subsides in about 20 minutes.

I recommend people invest in a glucometer to check as it gives feedback and helps you correct the issue.

Vitamin C supports adrenals and does many other things to deal with drug metabolites. The vitamin C needs to be buffered or liposomal to be easier on the gut. I would use 1000mg at a time with daily dose up to 6000mg often. Know some forms can cause loose stools at higher doses. The non-flush niacin does not give the hot sensation or temporary rash. It is very sedating. 1000mg dose multiple times per day. I found it useful to take on a set schedule like x3/day and then more as needed.

Other things that helped and were pretty benign: taurine and L-theanine will lower glutamate. It is the excitatory chemical normally balanced by GABA. *Taurine can lower BS. take with food. One recent scientific study mentioned taurine downgrading receptors but it was on mice with"chronic use." Not sure how that translates to humans. Other studies like one in 2008 stated it helped GABA receptors. L-theanine helped all classes of neurotransmitters and has been linked to changing brainwaves. L-theanine has been studied extensively for sleep.

Hope that is helpful.

No, high glutamate does not act on the insulin-producing cells. The problems with glutamate are in the brain and not periphery.

No, vitamin C will not help you with the withdrawals or anything else. If you take a lot, you will just pee it out in a second.

No, niacin does nothing to help with withdrawals.

Taurin and theanine are useless.

Nothing is going to help your GABA receptors but time.

One can't feel their adrenals, just like you can't feel your brain.

Hope that is helpful.

No, high glutamate does not act on the insulin-producing cells. The problems with glutamate are in the brain and not periphery.

No, vitamin C will not help you with the withdrawals or anything else. If you take a lot, you will just pee it out in a second.

No, niacin does nothing to help with withdrawals.

Taurin and theanine are useless.

Nothing is going to help your GABA receptors but time.

One can't feel their adrenals, just like you can't feel your brain.

Thanks for informing us of the final word on this issue.

Hi Tallgolfer,

Yes. I am a new member, so just saw your post. I have often had that sensation of adrenals as if squirting and also burning all along spine up to back of head. Someone who replied to your post suggested Rescue Remedy. I might try it. Hope you have found relief.

Sorry to disagree with the vehement proclamations and dismissals, but not sure where you're getting your info. If you're staunchly defending the "white knuckle approach" to WD, your choice. May be that's your experience, if so, very sorry. That's miserable and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I know what consistently worked in my own WD. Here is the science to back it up. The point is to give people options. They can choose their own paths.

Vitamin C has many scientific studies dating back to the 1930's.  Sure excess can be passed out in urine or stool as you reach bowel tolerance, but it is usually plain pills or effervescent tablets that do this. There are other means like IV or IM and liposomal orally that do not readily dump into the gut.

Vitamin C and  adrenal function.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/8064539_Vitamin_C_Is_an_Important_Cofactor_for_Both_Adrenal_Cortex_and_Adrenal_Medulla

VITAMIN C AGAINST POLIO

“From 1943 through 1947,” writes Robert Landwehr (3), “Dr. Klenner reported successful treatment of 41 more cases of viral pneumonia using massive doses of vitamin C. From these cases he learned what dosage and route of administration - intravenously, intramuscularly, or orally - was best for each patient. Dr. Klenner gave these details in a February 1948 paper published in the Journal of Southern Medicine and Surgery entitled ‘Virus Pneumonia and Its Treatment with Vitamin C.’ (4) This article was the first of Dr. Klenner’s twenty-eight (through 1974) scientific publications.”

“When I first came across Klenner’s work on polio patients,” writes Thomas Levy, “I was absolutely amazed and even a bit overwhelmed at what I read. . . To know that polio had been easily cured and so many babies, children, and some adults still continued to die or survive to be permanently crippled by this virus was extremely difficult to accept. . . Even more incredibly, Klenner briefly presented a summarization of his work on polio at the Annual Session of the American Medical Association on June 10, 1949 in Atlantic City, New Jersey: Reprinted with permission from J Orthomolecular Med, 2007. Vol 22, No 1, p 31-38.

Humans and guinea pigs are the only two mammals I know of that do not produce their own vitamin C from glucose. All others will do this for infection or injury.

Vitamin C and WD.  Dr. Abram Hoffer a Canadian psychiatrist used vitamin C and niacin in three day intensive to successfully help withdraw heroin addicts with few symptoms.  Though deceased, many YT videos available.

Niacin has been used in neuromuscular diseases with good results including Parkinson's.

https://medicaldialogues.in/diet-nutrition/news/vitamin-b3-may-delay-progression-of-rare-neuromuscular-disorder-65784

NAD is approved by the FDA for IV use in rehab clinics for rapid detox.  Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) was significantly increased by niacin in human trials.

https://www.lifespan.io/news/niacin-increases-nad-significantly-in-human-trial/

Glutamate directly affects the beta cells of the pancreas. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168822717310100

In a study of strokes, they found damage from glutamate causing a sudden release of sugar into the brain with strokes. Controlling this hyperglycemia had better outcomes.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/01.str.28.4.708

Taurine reduces glutamate.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/5246249_Effect_of_taurine_on_the_concentrations_of_glutamate_GABA_glutamine_and_alanine_in_the_rat_striatum_and_hippocampus

Although a more recent study suggested Taurine might dull GABA receptors, it was with "chronic use" in mice, however long that is. Other studies showed positive effects on GABA and receptor sites.

Taurine has protective actions on the heart and has been given to diabetics to heal blood vessel issues of the eyes.  It is GAS-  generally accepted as safe by the FDA and allowed in high doses in energy drinks.

L-theanine Reduces Psychological and Physiological Stress Responses. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16930802/

Bilateral back pain is a frequently noted clinical sign of adrenal distress. Others are poor pupillary responses, inability to regulate fine motor movements, and sudden bursts of high blood pressure. Propanolol in very low doses is prescribed frequently for sudden muscle jerking and increased BP to cope.

https://www.dummies.com/health/diseases/adrenal-fatigue/4-vital-signs-of-adrenal-fatigue/

*Highly unlikely in WD, but severe adrenal stress can turn into insufficiency called Addison's disease. It requires immediate medical intervention.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/addisons-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20350293

I hope that answers any questions sufficiently.

Sorry to disagree with the vehement proclamations and dismissals, but not sure where you're getting your info. If you're staunchly defending the "white knuckle approach" to WD, your choice. May be that's your experience, if so, very sorry. That's miserable and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I know what consistently worked in my own WD. Here is the science to back it up. The point is to give people options. They can choose their own paths.

Vitamin C has many scientific studies dating back to the 1930's.  Sure excess can be passed out in urine or stool as you reach bowel tolerance, but it is usually plain pills or effervescent tablets that do this. There are other means like IV or IM and liposomal orally that do not readily dump into the gut.

Vitamin C and  adrenal function.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/8064539_Vitamin_C_Is_an_Important_Cofactor_for_Both_Adrenal_Cortex_and_Adrenal_Medulla

VITAMIN C AGAINST POLIO

“From 1943 through 1947,” writes Robert Landwehr (3), “Dr. Klenner reported successful treatment of 41 more cases of viral pneumonia using massive doses of vitamin C. From these cases he learned what dosage and route of administration - intravenously, intramuscularly, or orally - was best for each patient. Dr. Klenner gave these details in a February 1948 paper published in the Journal of Southern Medicine and Surgery entitled ‘Virus Pneumonia and Its Treatment with Vitamin C.’ (4) This article was the first of Dr. Klenner’s twenty-eight (through 1974) scientific publications.”

“When I first came across Klenner’s work on polio patients,” writes Thomas Levy, “I was absolutely amazed and even a bit overwhelmed at what I read. . . To know that polio had been easily cured and so many babies, children, and some adults still continued to die or survive to be permanently crippled by this virus was extremely difficult to accept. . . Even more incredibly, Klenner briefly presented a summarization of his work on polio at the Annual Session of the American Medical Association on June 10, 1949 in Atlantic City, New Jersey: Reprinted with permission from J Orthomolecular Med, 2007. Vol 22, No 1, p 31-38.

Humans and guinea pigs are the only two mammals I know of that do not produce their own vitamin C from glucose. All others will do this for infection or injury.

Vitamin C and WD.  Dr. Abram Hoffer a Canadian psychiatrist used vitamin C and niacin in three day intensive to successfully help withdraw heroin addicts with few symptoms.  Though deceased, many YT videos available.

Niacin has been used in neuromuscular diseases with good results including Parkinson's.

https://medicaldialogues.in/diet-nutrition/news/vitamin-b3-may-delay-progression-of-rare-neuromuscular-disorder-65784

NAD is approved by the FDA for IV use in rehab clinics for rapid detox.  Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) was significantly increased by niacin in human trials.

https://www.lifespan.io/news/niacin-increases-nad-significantly-in-human-trial/

Glutamate directly affects the beta cells of the pancreas. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0168822717310100

In a study of strokes, they found damage from glutamate causing a sudden release of sugar into the brain with strokes. Controlling this hyperglycemia had better outcomes.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/01.str.28.4.708

Taurine reduces glutamate.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/5246249_Effect_of_taurine_on_the_concentrations_of_glutamate_GABA_glutamine_and_alanine_in_the_rat_striatum_and_hippocampus

Although a more recent study suggested Taurine might dull GABA receptors, it was with "chronic use" in mice, however long that is. Other studies showed positive effects on GABA and receptor sites.

Taurine has protective actions on the heart and has been given to diabetics to heal blood vessel issues of the eyes.  It is GAS-  generally accepted as safe by the FDA and allowed in high doses in energy drinks.

L-theanine Reduces Psychological and Physiological Stress Responses. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16930802/

Bilateral back pain is a frequently noted clinical sign of adrenal distress. Others are poor pupillary responses, inability to regulate fine motor movements, and sudden bursts of high blood pressure. Propanolol in very low doses is prescribed frequently for sudden muscle jerking and increased BP to cope.

https://www.dummies.com/health/diseases/adrenal-fatigue/4-vital-signs-of-adrenal-fatigue/

*Highly unlikely in WD, but severe adrenal stress can turn into insufficiency called Addison's disease. It requires immediate medical intervention.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/addisons-disease/symptoms-causes/syc-20350293

I hope that answers any questions sufficiently.

The studies you cited are all anecdotal. Unfortunately, that's not how science works. Only large-scale randomized, placebo-controlled clinical studies can tell whether an intervention works for not. You cited animal studies, cellular (in vitro) studies, or non-scientific articles. None of the cited studies are clinical trials.

Don't be sorry about me, I'm doing perfectly well with my slow-taper.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [An...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [PE...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Vi...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Ma...]