Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Ambien Withdrawal

[Ic...]

Hello all, in short I had been abusing Ambien (Zolpidem) and have attempted to quit cold turkey three times. I originally was put on Ambien as a painkiller for unidentified chronic stomach pain and that is how the abuse started. Withdrawing the first time was easy, but when the stomach pain returned, I took an Ambien which then led to using the bottle modestly for a couple of months. When I ran out, I attempted to quit cold turkey a second time. Once again, the chronic pain began again, so once again, I started the Ambien. After using my whole bottle within a couple of days, I quit cold turkey and have been off for almost two months--1 month and 15 days to be exact. Cold turkey was a must for a couple of reasons: I ran out of my prescription and even the ER won't refill for tapering, I didn't know any better, and I was so addicted that quitting all at once made sense for me.

Hello IcyPeppermint112 :hug:

Welcome to BenzoBuddies we are glad you found us. I am sorry you are having a rough time. Withdrawal symptoms are awful but it will get better with time.  While Ambien is not a benzo it is what is called a z drug and does impact the same part of the nervous system as a benzo.  It is generally suggested to taper slowly off these meds.

I will leave a link to the Ashton Manual, although it discusses benzo withdrawal, there is some information about Z drugs. We have a very helpful and friendly community. Please feel free to ask questions so that members can respond with the appropriate information

Professor Ashtons Manual

Z-DRUG SUPPORT GROUP

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [An...]
    • [Pi...]
    • [PE...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Vi...]