Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Trying to quit benzo

[Gw...]

Hello. I am joining here because i am working on quiting using benzo. I have been taking valium for about 12 years (with some breaks). My dosages has varied alot and most of the 12 year period it has been 5-7 days a week. My average dosage has probably been around 15mg/daily, where at my highest i took 35-40mg daily. In my 12 years I have had some off periods aswell where I have been off it for a few months at a time. Thoose times I have never experiences withdrawals any longer than a few weeks, and even in that period they were nothing really bad (except for the first period if i CT).

This period in my life has been the longest period I have gone without a break from valium and this time I want to quit for good and never start it again. I have taken a much slower approach to my tapper this time because i felt it was needed. I am currently at 0,5mg (i cut a 2mg tablet into 4 pieces and take 1 of them) and have been at this dosage for the past 3 months. I have currently little to no withdrawals at this small dosage, but if i miss my dosage one day the withdrawals feel horrible. I am looking for help on how to get down from my current dosage of 0,5 mg to quiting it completly. I would appreciate any help :)

Welcome Gwagwages to Benzo Buddies!

Glad you have joined. Good work tapering down on your valium. Sorry you are having withdrawal symptoms. I know it's rough. You have come to the right place.  You will find support to help you through the rest of your taper, including what others have found helpful in tapering and dealing with withdrawal symptoms.

Normally we recommend to cut your daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Some do find reduction harder at the lower doses to cut small amounts and may go slower.

Please take a look around the site.  When you are ready feel free to post questions.

Below are some links to help you get started.

The Ashton Manual  is a great place to start. Full of information on Benzo withdrawal including recommended reduction rates.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

It's helpful if you create a signature with info on history-  medication/doses/cut dates etc. This allows members to give support specific to your situation.  Here's how. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile.

We are glad you are here. Please reach out for support. It really helps to know you are not alone.

JuJuBi

Thank you for your reply.

I have allready been tappering for a long while, and currently i am down to 0,5mg where I need to cut a 2mg tablet into 4 pieces. This dose I have been on for about 3 months, and I do not have alot of withdrawals while being on it. But if i try to cut it out from 0,5mg to 0 my withdrawals gets bad. I am having trouble to cut the 2mg tables into more than 4 pieces as they are really small allready, so i dont have any clue what I should do from here. Anyone got ideas they want to share? :)

Do you have a jeweler’s scale? This would allow you to make smaller doses using the weight of the whole tablet (or average of several) as a guide. Make sure the scale is good to .001 g/1 mg, like the Gemini-20 many here use.

I dont have one, but could buy one if its necesarry. Personally I thought it would not be a problem to going off from 0,5mg, my original plan was going to 0 after being on 1mg for a few weeks. But that did not work because i got bad withdrawals then

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]