Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Best way to taper off Klonopin

[Be...]

Hello, I have been taking .5 mg Klonopin for over 3 years, prescribed by my general practitioner. I started to build up a high tolerance to them, and began taking more than I should, and I go through awful, horrible withdrawal symptoms, including seizures. I have been doing a lot of research on the best way to taper off, and the forums I have been reading say to replace the Klonopin with diazepam. I’m afraid to have seizures anymore, and I am reaching out for advice on how to taper off correctly. Please if anyone has advice I would love to know what worked for you.

Hi Beccaboo86 :hug: and Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are pleased you joined.  Seizures can be dangerous, and since you have experienced them I would consult with your doctor or a neurologist, prior to making any changes in your benzodiazepine medication.

if you suffer from a seizure-type disorder, even following what normally would be considered a sensible and gentle withdrawal schedule, you risk suffering dangerous withdrawal seizures. If you suffer from epilepsy, any kind of seizure disorder, or even if you suspect that you suffer from a seizure disorder, it is imperative that you consult with your doctor (better, a neurologist) prior to making any changes to your benzodiazepine medication.

A good resource about benzodiazepines is the Ashton Manual. Here is a link to the manual: Professor Ashtons Manual It’s great for learning about these meds and for taper plans.  The general recommendation is reducing between 5 - 10% every 10/14 days. Some need to taper much slower, whatever feels comfortable.

Here are a few links to some resources:

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support

You might also like to check out this support group, 

Klonopin Klub 

If you would like to add a signature  (history of medication/doses etc). It will help members give you relevant advice. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]