why is nobody talking about this

[he...]

Hello BB community! Please I need some help. I am 3 months off Ativan (cold turkey) and while most of my physical symptoms are gone (I’m functioning and able to work) I am still having horrible intrusive and violent thoughts. I don’t see many posts about this issue (I understand why, it can be really triggering) but is nobody talking about this because it’s triggering or because they’re not going through it? I’ve read this is a common symptom in withdrawal and I NEVER had this before Benzos. It’s really debilitating and makes me feel like I’m going insane. Is there anyone else that experienced this? Should I be concerned this is something else? Please help !!

Thank you

Have you done a search on rage, aggression and irritability?    You'll find threads that discuss these symptoms.

Rest assured they are very common side effects/symptoms.

xo aimee

Hello BB community! Please I need some help. I am 3 months off Ativan (cold turkey) and while most of my physical symptoms are gone (I’m functioning and able to work) I am still having horrible intrusive and violent thoughts. I don’t see many posts about this issue (I understand why, it can be really triggering) but is nobody talking about this because it’s triggering or because they’re not going through it? I’ve read this is a common symptom in withdrawal and I NEVER had this before Benzos. It’s really debilitating and makes me feel like I’m going insane. Is there anyone else that experienced this? Should I be concerned this is something else? Please help !!

Thank you

I think she is also asking what to do about the intrusive violent thoughts.  They were the most frightening part of w/d for me.  They would come outa nowhere and it is hard to figure out how to respond and manage these. 

It's hard to talk about for many of us because the usual coping tools like distraction or mindfulness may not be effective.  My thoughts were too strong and dark for any of my technique to work.  I did practice very loud self talk assuring myself that these thoughts would pass and they were a sx of the inflammation or mis firing in my brain.  The stronger the thoughts, the louder and more intense my reassuring self talk had to be.  I never got close to acting on them.  But still so disturbing.

Thank god these passed for me.  Sure hope they pass for you soon.

Here ya go Healing.  A friend sent me this who is going thru a rough w/d.  This therapist put this into nice simple terms.  Her name is Julia Kristina....How to stop intrusive thoughts.

It is hard to talk about the benzo intrusive dark thoughts/ill will/rage stuff without getting scared or angry as ruminating starts.  I won’t avoid it but I am not going to bare my soul here.  The best thing I found was really understanding that they were BENZO thoughts and basically on the same level as the Benzo nightmares while awake. The nightmares are horrible but are uncontrollable.  Same thing with the intrusive thoughts but we feel responsible for them because we are awake.  What we can control is what we do, or if we act in accordance with our unwanted thoughts.  That’s how I see it and kinda get through it.

I have the same question. I even posted to the feedback board with a proposition to open a board for intrusive thoughts/memories as I see so many asking about this. However, I see how this can also be triggering. My violent intrusive thoughts hit me only this year and I just straight up went to a psych ward because I had a mental breakdown, thinking I was a psychopath.

There have been dozens of posts on this forum about intrusive thoughts and intrusive memories.

I myself have posted about the subject many times. All you have to do is search for them.

[*]Go to the Home page.

[*]Click on a board: for example, Withdrawal Support.

[*]In the Search field at the top-right of the page, enter the word "intrusive".

[*]Click on the Search button.

That's all there is to it.