Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Brain zaps

[7f...]

[7f...]
I tapered off of Klonopin 2 months ago, and finished my antidepressant taper today yay. I got hit with brain zaps that lasted all day, and have been dizzy and nauseous. Is there anything that helps with this? Please don't tell me this last forever because this has been the most debilitating physical withdrawal yet.

I saw a Support Group just for this in the Forum.  I am going to taper of Prozac starting in November.  I got off Benzos in June last year.  Head zaps were pretty severe in Acute and then lightened up for me at about 2 months.  Still get them (NOT frequently at all) when I am overtired or like last night - sick with unrelated issues.  But I am not seeing your signature so I have no idea how long you were on Benzos and dose and what you were taking for SSRI.  Hopefully you were a short term user as getting off BOTH meds within two (2) months would be frightening for me... I know you will be fine it is recommended to wait until you over Benzo withdrawals before starting to taper SSRI.  You are a strong one!

[7f...]
I was on Benzos for 11 years and antidepressants for 9months. After a lot of reading and experiencing tolerance withdrawals, I believe these drugs are not designed for long term use. Antidepressant were made to get you through a rough time and should be used for 6-9 months max. I actually reinstated my antidepressant at 5 mg and that has helped with my brain zaps. I wanted to be off everything, but I need to survive. Slow and steady.

Yes I agree with you hundred percent anti-depressants are short term use I have read 9 to 6 months .But in a lot of cases here you have to wait out the benzo withdrawal for maybe a year and a half to 18 months before tapering off antidepressants that’s just my observation reading all these posts.

I tapered off of Klonopin 2 months ago, and finished my antidepressant taper today yay. I got hit with brain zaps that lasted all day, and have been dizzy and nauseous. Is there anything that helps with this? Please don't tell me this last forever because this has been the most debilitating physical withdrawal yet.

When I tapered off Paxil (pre-benzo), the brain zaps lasted for about a month and then faded away.

I was on Benzos for 11 years and antidepressants for 9months. After a lot of reading and experiencing tolerance withdrawals, I believe these drugs are not designed for long term use. Antidepressant were made to get you through a rough time and should be used for 6-9 months max. I actually reinstated my antidepressant at 5 mg and that has helped with my brain zaps. I wanted to be off everything, but I need to survive. Slow and steady.

After being on and off Paxil for nearly 40 years, I have come to the same conclusion. Had I used it just long enough to work with a therapist to address my depression directly, I would probably have been better off. While Paxil did it's job pretty well in relieving my symptoms, it also stifled any emotional access I may have had. 

Why people want to get off SSRI? I felt so good when was takeing them.

I think that other’s don’t want to have to deal with another wd or b dependent on another medication. SSRI’s r still altering the amount of serotonin that ur brain releases. I can completely understand why someone who doesn’t feel that they r dealing with a permanent depressive disorder would want to get off of a medication like this. Yes, there r definitely those out there that NEED this medication in order to have a good quality of life, but if they know that their depression is due to wd or a rebound effect from another medication, then staying on it will just prevent the brain from returning to its most balanced & natural state. If it is not necessary to functionality, then why continue putting chemicals in ur body that aren’t beneficial to ur health?

Nothing helps but attitude. Stop looking for things to "help". Time helps. Only time. If anyone tells you about anything that helps, don't do it!! If taking Magnesium helps, STOP. You don't want help. You don't want anything to interfere with the healing process and so anything that "helps" hinders.

I get brain Zaps. I think they're kind of cool, no kidding. They're trippy and they don't hurt and they don't harm. I don't like the muscle spasms everywhere but they don't harm either. None of this will harm you, remember that. This is far from my first Rodeo and I know better now.

Coping mechanisms help. When I get dizzy, I just imagine I'm on a roller coaster. I mentally raise my hands over me head and thing "weeeeeeee". Then I laugh at myself. That helps. Things like that help.

Brain zaps are common during the first 3 months of stopping. It eventually goes away. I am in month 10 of withdrawal and they are non existent now. 😊