Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Learning a foreign or programming language while in WD

[za...]

Did anyone try to learn a new language during this long process? Does it help or its too hard and unmanageble?

Thanks,

Mary

Not this specifically, but anything you can do that works your brain is going to help heal you in the long run. It’s a positive stressor. Too many on here stay sick because they’re afraid to push themselves. Go for it.

while being in acute withdrawal I learned things that were totally new to me and it worked. Like Tai Chi.. But I could also improve some language skills..you need to find out whats possible and try it some months later. In early wd things change quickly, - I am 3 years medfree now and still I find myself healing..

I did try to learn programming but it didn't work for me.  I'm off for 4 months and have not tried again yet.  I found I couldn't figure out how things worked very well.  My mind just could not grasp certain concepts.

Recently, my husband tried to explain to me how he was hooking up our new water filter, under the kitchen sink, and I could not follow it.  I think this is a similar problem.  I need pictures in front of me, of how things flow.  I can't keep the pictures in my head very well right now. 

I also took foreign language classes and had much better luck with that. 

I am taking a Visual Basic programming class right now. It has been a struggle, like someone else said, I have a hard time comprehending some things but I am passing, and this is my last week of class. It can be done but for me, it was my toughest class so far.

Thank you all for the input and words of encouragement.

I'm pushing myself hard to go to classes to learn German.  It's a struggle every day as mornings are the hardest but by the end of the day I feel good and I am making progress.  I live in Germany for the moment and my withdrawal happened to be here so learning the language is a must. It also gives my day a structure and an opportunity to meet new people which sometimes I have to admit that it can be challenging. I try to live in the present and not think of the past and the future...because it can trigger sadness and fear. 

Wishing all of us a full recovery,

Hugs, Mary

Good Luck with the German Mary!  For me, I was taking French, practice conversations were the parts I remember.  I know that my memory wasn't as good as it used to be, so for vocabulary, I would have to go over things many more times than a normal person, but it is still possible.  Be patient with yourself is my advice. 

Bravo for all you guys doing this.  BRAVO!  SO Proud of you all!  I ADMIRE WHAT YOU ARE DOING, gives us all HOPE! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]