Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How many of you are "Aspies"?

[...]

[07...]

I like watching the TV show, The Good Doctor, about the surgical resident who is billiant but has autism.  I relate very much to how he behaves.  I feel alot like he does.  I think I have some autism.  Was an English major in college and did alot of writing.  Always wanted to work independently and as a kid felt most comfortable doing things by myself.  Was always very sensitive to harsh people.  Teacher on my first grade report card who wasn't too nice wrote,  "hope her "blank" days disappear."

I'm stubbornly going to make a personal differentiation between autism and Asperger's, and I really don't care if this group or that wants to eliminate the term.

I'm going to repeat that at no time has anyone, either a friend or a professional, even suggested that I belong anywhere on the spectrum. It's just that I know myself, and here are couple things that are unusual:

1. I was talking to the mother of my most talented young student, age 12. I don't think this boy has been formally diagnosed as having Asperger's, but I'd bet $100 on the spot that he has it. His eyes bore into me when I talk, and he has no sense of personal space. Hard to explain. He gets so close to me when he is looking at me and my computer as I am explaining things that I have to gently push him back a bit. Hard to explain. So there are many things. I was explaining to him and his mother that I did not speak when I was very young, and then suddenly I started speaking complete sentences. This slightly delayed speech is not definitely linked to Asperger's, but it is odd that this boy also did not speak, and his mother was worried and had him tested. She has not shared all the results, I think, but apparently the boy just started talking one day and has never stopped since.

2. I could not read social clues. I did not know when I was saying something odd. I know that other kids frequently looked at me like I came from Mars, and I was so far from being a "cool" kid that I was just the opposite. No friends, and I was desperately lonely.

I think some of us are borderline, and we can flip. Once I made it my business to study people the way I formerly studied music and my other interests, I got so good at reading social clues that I'm usually way beyond just about everyone I know.

But I know how I started, and I know how I got here. It was not automatic, natural or easy. Music, on the other hand, is and always has been as natural and easy for me as anything could be.

I don't understand my quote here and then the reply.  What am I missing?  Why was I quoted?

I was making a personal differentiation between "autism" and "Asperger's". No disrespect meant towards your post. To me there is a difference between people who are autistic in the sense that they are unable to take care of themselves, hold down a job, deal with society in general, and those like Temple Grandin who are just different in the way they think but who lead amazing lives.

Again, it is a personal way I look at things and may not be valid for other people.

Yeah. I didn’t know until recently that Asperger’s is no longer a “diagnosis” since what, the DSM5? (So many 🙄🙄🙄🙄 eye rolls for the DSMs! I hate how they are created and how diagnoses are literally voted on over drinks!) I know a few people with Asperger’s who are socially “off” much like I am; I just seem to be a better chameleon or actor? Most recently I’ve been friends with a guy who is a great advocate in the Medical Cannabis community in NM. We get along extremely well. Perhaps it’s because we’re probably more alike than I ever really thought about before the past few days.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Fl...]

• [Be...]

• [Rx...]

[25...]

100% agree with NMsafe well said

Differing views between "autism" and "Asperger's"

are more labels within labels

and no matter where you seek info now on Aspergers

you will find the two terms used often together possibly because

they were recently  lumped together

and  Asperger’s is no longer a “diagnosis”

since the DSM has been adjusted,

to suit the people whom use labels sadly.

We are all different in so many ways.

I was making a personal differentiation between "autism" and "Asperger's". No disrespect meant towards your post. To me there is a difference between people who are autistic in the sense that they are unable to take care of themselves, hold down a job, deal with society in general, and those like Temple Grandin who are just different in the way they think but who lead amazing lives.

Again, it is a personal way I look at things and may not be valid for other people.

Yeah. I didn’t know until recently that Asperger’s is no longer a “diagnosis” since what, the DSM5? (So many 🙄🙄🙄🙄 eye rolls for the DSMs! I hate how they are created and how diagnoses are literally voted on over drinks!) I know a few people with Asperger’s who are socially “off” much like I am; I just seem to be a better chameleon or actor? Most recently I’ve been friends with a guy who is a great advocate in the Medical Cannabis community in NM. We get along extremely well. Perhaps it’s because we’re probably more alike than I ever really thought about before the past few days.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Agree 100%!!!  IMO, it's so ridiculous and so harmful in so many ways!  Don't even get me started.

Why not rather identify with, say, the Myers-Briggs Personality Test?  In this way we can "box" ourselves as perfectly normal people within the wide "spectrum" ::) of human personalities with all our so-called strengths/weaknesses, quirks/foibles, good/bad, warts and all.

And so much more fun.  Here, what label are you? ;D

https://www.16personalities.com/

[07...]

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Agree 100%!!!  IMO, it's so ridiculous and so harmful in so many ways!  Don't even get me started.

Why not rather identify with, say, the Myers-Briggs Personality Test?  In this way we can "box" ourselves as perfectly normal people within the wide "spectrum" ::) of human personalities with all our so-called strengths/weaknesses, quirks/foibles, good/bad, warts and all.

Mediator INFP-T LOL

But yes. I loathe how these days shyness is a DISORDER. Grief over a death is a DISORDER. 🤦🏻‍♀️

[07...]

Mediator INFP-T LOL

But yes. I loathe how these days shyness is a DISORDER. Grief over a death is a DISORDER. 🤦🏻‍♀️

:laugh:  MEDIATOR (INFP-T)  :laugh:

Thanks abcd  fun test.  :thumbsup:

LOL You GAME for more tests. Skyblue? Hahaaa

[07...]

LOL You GAME for more tests. Skyblue? Hahaaa

:2funny: :2funny: :hug:  I think you have more courage than me re tests and info  :laugh: :laugh:  :smitten:

😂😂 You cracked me up the other day tho.

I don't think "labels' i.e. diagnoses are such a bad thing.  I think it's good to put a name to a disorder.  I'm ok with the docs determining that I have a severe Anxiety and Panic Disorder.  I'm also glad that they found my Lupus, Hypothyroidism and Thrombophilia.  It's important to have "labels" and names of different disorders and diseases since it helps docs to treat you more accurately.  I was surely glad when I found out that my next door nabe years ago was diagnosed a Paranoid Schizophrenic.  She came to my home one time and told me her bf was trying to poison her and kill her.  I didn't know what to believe and agreed with her until I found out she was delusional.  I saw her pill bottle of Seroquel which said "for psychosis" on the bottom of it and her bf told me she was paranoid.  Then I knew that he wasn't trying to kill her at all.  Some paranoid Schizophrenics are dangerous and they need to be identified as such for their family's and societies protection.  How else can docs treat a mental or other disorder without labeling it something?  It sounds like Asperberger's is a milder form of Autism.   

It's important to have "labels" and names of different disorders and diseases since it helps docs to treat you more accurately. 

The problem with labels is mostly with psuedoscience psychiatric diagnoses that are voted into existence by a committee and given to a patient by a doctor in the form a subjective diagnosis that doesn't involve any kind of scientific test.

Believe me, all this disgusts me as much as you, and I'll refrain from ranting.

The bottom line is that any majority finds a way to define itself as superior and thus finds a way to define a minority as inferior.

I'll leave it at that...

Mediator INFP-T LOL

I'm INFJ, always, every time I've taken a test. ;)

For the most part I like the way I am, which is why I brought up this topic. I had a lot of trouble growing up because lying is the norm, and being cruel is the norm. I didn't lie, I was not cold, and I either told the truth or hid. Today. I am the same, but I default to NOT telling anyone what I'm really thinking until I know I won't be attacked. That's what took time. By around age 25 I had it.

Someone said this to me at age 19: If someone asks you a question that is none of his business, any lie you give him is exactly what he deserves.

I thought that was horribly wrong, or cynical. Now I agree, although generally I default to no information. ;)

It's important to have "labels" and names of different disorders and diseases since it helps docs to treat you more accurately. 

The problem with labels is mostly with psuedoscience psychiatric diagnoses that are voted into existence by a committee and given to a patient by a doctor in the form a subjective diagnosis that doesn't involve any kind of scientific test.

BINGO!

Nuff said!!!

[07...]

👆🏻 This.

[07...]

Mediator INFP-T LOL

For the most part I like the way I am, which is why I brought up this topic. I had a lot of trouble growing up because lying is the norm, and being cruel is the norm. I didn't lie, I was not cold, and I either told the truth or hid. Today. I am the same, but I default to NOT telling anyone what I'm really thinking until I know I won't be attacked. That's what took time. By around age 25 I had it.

Someone said this to me at age 19: If someone asks you a question that is none of his business, any lie you give him is exactly what he deserves.

I thought that was horribly wrong, or cynical. Now I agree, although generally I default to no information. ;)

This sounds awfully familiar. Yes.

Ok, you all your opinions and I have mine.  Some people want "labels" and some do not.  I do want a diagnosis even if it's psychiatric.  How else would people be able to be treated without a diagnosis?  I saw a show on TV last night about the mentally ill.  The one guy heard voices and had trouble living on his own.  Without a labeled diagnosis he would never receive any sort of benefits or cash assistance, nor would I.  If they considered him normal, then he'd be homeless and out on the streets with no money or government help.  I think it's good that the shrinks called his diagnosis schizophrenia and put him on medication.  He seems to be doing much better.  Schizophrenics truly suffer.  My nabe did and I knew her quite well.  She made other people suffer too.

Ok, you all your opinions and I have mine.  Some people want "labels" and some do not.  I do want a diagnosis even if it's psychiatric.  How else would people be able to be treated without a diagnosis?  I saw a show on TV last night about the mentally ill.  The one guy heard voices and had trouble living on his own.  Without a labeled diagnosis he would never receive any sort of benefits or cash assistance, nor would I.  If they considered him normal, then he'd be homeless and out on the streets with no money or government help.  I think it's good that the shrinks called his diagnosis schizophrenia and put him on medication.  He seems to be doing much better.  Schizophrenics truly suffer.  My nabe did and I knew her quite well.  She made other people suffer too.

You make good points, labels have their place, I just think it is important to point out the dark side of labeling people.

Labeling schizophrenia is one thing, but what about labeling little kids with ADHD? What about pathologising the grief experienced by the death of a loved one? Where do we draw the line?

I don't know if anyone else is aware of this or not but the APA is trying to pathologise masculinity. Anyone with half a brain understands that masculinity (just like femininity) is a natural thing that is largely a result of differences between male and female biology and it can either be channeled for good things or bad things. I wonder how long it is going to be before this is codified in the DSM and we start to see new drugs designed to strip men of their masculinity?

That's the danger of labels. If the medical establishment can turn a natural thing such as masculinity into a worldwide health crisis on the basis of political pressure, how can you trust anything they say?

[07...]

Mediator INFP-T LOL

I have done this particular test for years and this is always my result too.

I've been a bit quiet here but hope this thread continues.

I will say this one thing tonight: there are "problems", and then something has to be adjusted, addressed or acknowledged. So on this "aspie" subject, if someone is having a problem adjusting, coping, connecting or simply leading a happy life, then we have to look at solutions. HOWEVER: We also have to decide of something is "wrong", or if a person or people are at a disadvantage simply because they are in a minority that is being judged by other people in a majority.

For instance, I like to write more than talk, but I see nothing odd about that. It just makes me unusual in this world. I also prefer traditional or "classical" music, so in this way I am also in a minority. I'm in several minorities, looking at things in this manner, but I don't see myself is damaged, wrong, inferior or in need of help.

I think that is what I was trying to express.

Why does everyone have to have labels in this life? If you don't conform to life's norms you're seen as an outsider. I never fit in at school, was never one of the 'cool crowd'. What do you define as normal?

Many of my friends say I'm a bit odd. What does that make me? I'm comfortable enough in my own skin now I'm older not to be bothered any more. I'd rather be looked as at eccentric! I also have a high IQ.

Why does everyone have to have labels in this life? If you don't conform to life's norms you're seen as an outsider. I never fit in at school, was never one of the 'cool crowd'. What do you define as normal?

Is that just a rhetorical question? Because I'd say that "normal" is just a word some people use to make themselves feel superior to other people.

Many of my friends say I'm a bit odd. What does that make me? I'm comfortable enough in my own skin now I'm older not to be bothered any more. I'd rather be looked as at eccentric! I also have a high IQ.

People who don't know me don't seem to think I'm eccentric. Everyone who DOES know me, on the other hand, is at least as eccentric as I am, so I'm in good company. :)

[07...]

Is that just a rhetorical question? Because I'd say that "normal" is just a word some people use to make themselves feel superior to other people. BOOM. Yes.

People who don't know me don't seem to think I'm eccentric. Everyone who DOES know me, on the other hand, is at least as eccentric as I am, so I'm in good company. :)👈 This.