Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Study, Feb/19: Dzpm inhibits post-trauma neurogen, blocks aberrant dendritic dev

[se...]

This is an animal study but I thought it might be interesting for some.

Journal: Journal of Neurotrauma

Full title: "Diazepam inhibits post-traumatic neurogenesis and blocks aberrant dendritic development"

Abstract

Traumatic brain injury (TBI) triggers a robust increase in neurogenesis within the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus, but these new neurons undergo aberrant maturation and dendritic outgrowth. Because GABAA receptors (GABAARs) modulate dendritic outgrowth during constitutive neurogenesis and GABAAR-modulating sedatives are often administered to human patients after TBI, we investigated whether the benzodiazepine, diazepam, alters post-injury hippocampal neurogenesis. We used a controlled cortical impact (CCI) model of TBI in adult mice, and administered diazepam or vehicle continuously for one week after injury via osmotic pump. Although diazepam did not affect neurogenesis rate in control mice, it almost completely prevented the TBI-induced increase in hippocampal neurogenesis as well as the aberrant dendritic growth of neurons born after TBI. Diazepam did not reduce cortical injury, reactive gliosis, or cell proliferation early after injury, but decreased c-Fos activation in the dentate gyrus at both early and late timepoints after TBI, suggesting an association between neuronal activity and post-injury neurogenesis. Because diazepam blocks post-injury neurogenesis, further studies are warranted to assess whether benzodiazepines alter cognitive recovery or the development of complications after TBI.

Thanks for posting this.  Adult Neurogenesis is an essential component system that is affect by chronic Benzodiazaphine use.  There are several other very interesting stroke and TBI studies concerning Benzodiazaphines and how their affect on adult neurogenesis affects recovery.  Some are positive and some are negative. 

This is a very interesting area of research.

Thanks for posting this.  Adult Neurogenesis is an essential component system that is affect by chronic Benzodiazaphine use.  There are several other very interesting stroke and TBI studies concerning Benzodiazaphines and how their affect on adult neurogenesis affects recovery.  Some are positive and some are negative. 

This is a very interesting area of research.

No problem.  I'll keep an eye out for this type of work.  I honestly don't know much about the biology/biochem/pharmacology aspects of benzos.  I just haven't dug into it yet but I'd like to.  I haven't really found a solid synopsis yet.