Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help! Constant adrenaline for over a week, panic, insomnia. Will I get over thi

[Mi...]

Constant adrenaline,  panic, shaking  chills, no appetite, no sleep. Using coping skills that barely make a dent in panic. Withdrawing  from Clonazapam was on for 11 years. Titrated down to .25 from .50 when these symptoms started a week ago. Increased back up to .50, still same symptoms.  PANIC! What is going on? No triggers, just constant panic. It.won't.go.away and I'm terrified. Will this ever go away? Dr. Won't change any meds. Anyone have this with withdrawl? Does it ever go away?

:o:-[:-\ :'(

Yes. It is withdrawal. You cut your dose in half. This reaction, as unpleasant as it is, is normal. Sadly for us, many of us have been through it. On the other hand, fortunately for you, many of us have been through it. And so we can tell you: IT WILL END. That is the good news. The bad news? Nothing but time will make it end. My best advice? Try to accept it. Learn as many coping strategies as you can. Start go ogling "dbt grounding exercises" and "progressive muscle relaxation", start meditating. If you have trouble sleeping, don't panic. Meditate instead. Distract yourself. Don't dwell any more than you have to. Tell yourself you will only think about, research, and dwell on this "during business hours". Nighttime is off limits. Exercise. Use your anxious energy walking, jogging, dancing, doing jumping jacks, whatever works for you. Give your heart a good reason to be beating so fast and you will feel a bit better. Above all, accept, and have hope. You are going to be okay. And in the meantime, you are not alone.

Thanks responding waves and Tweed. I have been doing every one of these coping skills including running on my treadmill for over a mile and weight lifting starting last night with the added e exerciseml. Also, getting out of house and walking around stores since its winter and can't walk outside, diaphragmatic breathing all of the time, muscle tense/relax from head to toe, visualization of relaxing places, relaxation music/videos, warm shower with lavendar Epsom salt, praying, hubby helps with massage. I will look at the websites you listed, than you!

Trying to accept it but I worry how long it will last and that it is always there and painful/scary/extremely uncomfortable. How long did both of you have to endure it before it left? Thank you for the encouraging words. I feel like my body needs a massive break from this. If it wasn't for this site I would be much worse as yesterday my dr said that this is not related to going down on clonazepam and basically poo poo it when my hubby and I know it has to be based on the timeline of events. Again thanks both for the support,  means more than you know!

I can relate to this so much. Just know it will end.

There are some things that might ease your symptoms. Some of us have been prescribed propranolol. It’s a beta blocker- helps with headaches for me, and racing heart. Phenergan is for nausea, and it makes me sleepy so it helps with falling asleep. Go slow- you can do this!

Yeah my doc won't prescribe those meds that I so much need. It's so frustrating. When I went to see her bp was 170/105 normally 135/90. They didn't care and I know that bp medications help relax, saw it when hubby went on them.my stomach feels like I have a pit in it, nausea and d all the time.  It doesn't go away. Sleep deprivation is so hard because that's when your body and brain heal as well as getting a much needed break from the panic. I feel like if I could sleep 4 or 5 hours in a row it would help tremendously.  I slept for literally 15 min at one time last night and 1 hour the next. Not enough sleep to recover. Thank for the encouraging words. I need them so much right now to continue through.

There are some things that might ease your symptoms. Some of us have been prescribed propranolol. It’s a beta blocker- helps with headaches for me, and racing heart. Phenergan is for nausea, and it makes me sleepy so it helps with falling asleep. Go slow- you can do this!

Thanks responding waves and Tweed. I have been doing every one of these coping skills including running on my treadmill for over a mile and weight lifting starting last night with the added e exerciseml. Also, getting out of house and walking around stores since its winter and can't walk outside, diaphragmatic breathing all of the time, muscle tense/relax from head to toe, visualization of relaxing places, relaxation music/videos, warm shower with lavendar Epsom salt, praying, hubby helps with massage. I will look at the websites you listed, than you!

Trying to accept it but I worry how long it will last and that it is always there and painful/scary/extremely uncomfortable. How long did both of you have to endure it before it left? Thank you for the encouraging words. I feel like my body needs a massive break from this. If it wasn't for this site I would be much worse as yesterday my dr said that this is not related to going down on clonazepam and basically poo poo it when my hubby and I know it has to be based on the timeline of events. Again thanks both for the support,  means more than you know!

For me, that stage of acute withdrawal lasted for about 4 weeks. All told, I was recovering from my too-big cut for about 3 months. I cut from 0.75 to 0.25, so a bigger cut than you, but had only been taking it daily for 2 months prior, so was less dependant than you. It is impossible to know your timeline until it happens ("it takes as long as it takes"), but with clonazepam, you are looking at at least 3 weeks.

I know you feel like you need a break. But there is nothing harmless that will give that break to you. The best thing is to hold on and ride it out. It is a possibility to split the difference and updose to 0.375 (which is what I did), it may shorten the time until your receptors catch up, but it will not bring immediate relief.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Also pm me anytime if you need to. You are not alone. :)

Thank you so much Buddie! I appreciate you telling me your story. It brings so much comfort in uncomfortable times to say the least. I will keep in touch.  Thank you for the offer to PM you :smitten:

For me, that stage of acute withdrawal lasted for about 4 weeks. All told, I was recovering from my too-big cut for about 3 months. I cut from 0.75 to 0.25, so a bigger cut than you, but had only been taking it daily for 2 months prior, so was less dependant than you. It is impossible to know your timeline until it happens ("it takes as long as it takes"), but with clonazepam, you are looking at at least 3 weeks.

I know you feel like you need a break. But there is nothing harmless that will give that break to you. The best thing is to hold on and ride it out. It is a possibility to split the difference and updose to 0.375 (which is what I did), it may shorten the time until your receptors catch up, but it will not bring immediate relief.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Also pm me anytime if you need to. You are not alone. :)

Thank you StTeresaA. I will go slow and try to be kind to myself  :smitten:

Sorry! Thanks do much waves on the shore. :smitten:

Have I got good news for you.  You are accidentally still in withdrawal and you can solve it REALLY fast. I know clonazepam, really well. Take a HIGHER amount for a few days. It will NOT screw up your taper, but it WILL get your blood-level of clonazepam back up faster, then drop down to your previous cut level where you felt okay.

What a lot of people don't take into account when they make a hard cut, then go back up to where they last felt okay, is that clonazepam is a LONG half-life drug, so the amount that was in your blood when you were on 0.5 was actually HIGHER than you will get taking a mere 0.5mg when you go back up, after being dropped down for a while, because the doses overlap. This is why when you make a cut or try to quit, and decide that it's too harsh of a cut, and want to go back up and try again later, you have to take a bigger dose for a day or three. This won't change your tapering at all. 

Personally I'd do it all in one shot. Literally you can take a 1mg+ and it still won't mess up your taper, just take the 0.5 the next day. If you still feel rough, take another 0.25 or whatever you have to to feel normal.  The key with clonaz is to wait 2 hours.  You will know in 2 hours if you feel basically fine.  It takes 2 hours for clonaz to peak and you'll pretty much feel miraculously better as soon as the blood level is back to normal, or at worse, you'll have only a minor withdrawal. It may be the case that you waited a bit long to do the higher dose thing, and you might suffer a bit of withdrawal no matter what, but it will likely not be as harsh, and you have a very decent chance it will still work entirely. 

Once you've done your higher dose(s) and got yourself feeling normal enough you can cope, then dropped back down to your previous dose, of 0.5mg, hold on to your previous dose for at least 3 weeks before you try to cut again. Take time in between to stabilize. You want to be feeling normal before you cut again.  Then next time don't drop from 0.5 to 0.25, instead make a smaller cut based on how you felt last time, or based on some tapering method you'll probably hear lots of them here.  The smaller the amount, the less withdrawal you'll feel.

The normal recommendation is 10%, but honestly, it's not really that important.  You tried 0.25, found it too rough, now you know to try less next time.  Maybe you could handle 0.4? Chances are good you can. You might even be able to handle 0.35! I wouldn't be surprised.  But before you try another cut, wait until you're stable.

If you ever need a break, take one. A month at a certain dose or two months, if you need your life to be stable for a while. It's still there waiting for you.  Don't lose your prescription when you quit. If your doctor is hinting at being anti-benzo, don't tell them you're tapering, because that's one of the worst outcomes.  You need to be in charge of the timeline if at all possible.  I give everyone this advice because you'd be horribly surprised how often people get hurt by their doctors lack of understanding, ESPECIALLY of benzo's, clonazepam - I've taken it off and on 20 years and have met 0 doctors in person who know how to taper it properly, or even know all of the things clonazepam is used for, or aren't missing some crucial information, like knowing it's half life. You name it. Doctors spend practically NO time learning about these drugs.  Maybe the younger ones do, I don't know.

When you finally quit your clonaz, don't stop your prescription for at least 30 days of taking no pills and feeling NO withdrawals, or even 60 if you want.  This might not be the advice of everyone, but in my life personally, this would have saved me from a good deal of suffering.  Sometimes you have to keep trying. Remember you aren't failing if you don't quit quitting.

I had to go back up sometimes after rough cuts, it's NO big deal, nothing. I had to wait to stabilize, take a break sometimes.  One cut was rougher than the others but bearable enough to stick it out.  Etc.  When I finally quit I was taking inaccurate CRUMBS of the big flat 0.5mg pills, and when I finally went to 0, I felt nothing at all.

Unfortunately a medical situation got me back on them, and I'm re-dependent. I say this so that my posts are always as honest as possible.  But I was not dependent for a good deal of time. I've quit it more than once, I've cold turkeyed off a high dose and had protracted withdrawals for years, and then I did a roughly year and a half taper later in my life which worked like a charm. World of difference.  When I did the slow taper, I got NO withdrawals when I went to 0. 

The only thing I would do differently is the advice I just gave you. NEVER tell your doctor unless they REALLY understand.  If they show even a HINT of not understanding benzo's 100%, I'd personally never tell them.  Once you get to a low enough pill to cut all the way to quitting.

0.5mg pills are fine if they're the big kind with a slit down the middle, once you get to crumb sized pieces your body is not likely to care as much about how accurate it is, you'll stabilize regardless. Alternately you can do one day on and one day off once you're on truly low doses since clonaz has such a long half life. I did not try this but I always kept it in mind - so you might have to research on that. But the half-life should technically allow for that.

I pray that the Lord Jesus Bless you and set your free from your suffering and hardship. Take courage!

I had the adrenaline during the acute part of WD. I thought it wouldn't ever end. It does end. I tried putting one leg out of the bed (like when you spin when drunk). I tried praying. I tried getting up. I went through insomnia, too. Your body is healing, even though you may feel like shite. Drink lots of water. I found that as I got off my meds, these symptoms do decrease.

Stay strong and don't go back on the meds once you're off. It gets better. Believe it. Hug yourself. Hug someone else. You'll get through it.

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Thank you so much for the great advice! Unfortunately my dr only gave me the exact amount of pills. I really appreciate your great insight and may be able to use this info for the future :smitten:

Have I got good news for you.  You are accidentally still in withdrawal and you can solve it REALLY fast. I know clonazepam, really well. Take a HIGHER amount for a few days. It will NOT screw up your taper, but it WILL get your blood-level of clonazepam back up faster, then drop down to your previous cut level where you felt okay.

What a lot of people don't take into account when they make a hard cut, then go back up to where they last felt okay, is that clonazepam is a LONG half-life drug, so the amount that was in your blood when you were on 0.5 was actually HIGHER than a mere 0.5 because the doses overlap. This is why when you make a cut or try to quit, and decide that it's too harsh of a cut, and want to go back up and try again later, you have to take a bigger dose for a day or three. This won't change your tapering at all. 

Personally I'd do it all in one shot. Literally you can take a 1mg+ and it still won't mess up your taper, just take the 0.5 the next day. If you still feel rough, take another 0.25 or whatever you have to to feel normal.  The key with clonaz is to wait 2 hours.  You will know in 2 hours if you feel basically fine.  It takes 2 hours for clonaz to peak and you'll pretty much feel miraculously better as soon as the blood level is back to normal, or at worse, you'll have only a minor withdrawal. It may be the case that you waited a bit long to do the higher dose thing, and you might suffer a bit of withdrawal no matter what, but it will likely not be as harsh, and you have a very decent chance it will still work entirely. 

Once you've done your higher dose(s) and got yourself feeling normal enough you can cope, then dropped back down to your previous dose, of 0.5mg, hold on to your previous dose for at least 3 weeks before you try to cut again. Take time in between to stabilize. You want to be feeling normal before you cut again.  Then next time don't drop from 0.5 to 0.25, instead make a smaller cut based on how you felt last time, or based on some tapering method you'll probably hear lots of them here.  The smaller the amount, the less withdrawal you'll feel.

The normal recommendation is 10%, but honestly, it's not really that important.  You tried 0.25, found it too rough, now you know to try less next time.  Maybe you could handle 0.4? Chances are good you can. You might even be able to handle 0.35! I wouldn't be surprised.  But before you try another cut, wait until you're stable.

If you ever need a break, take one. A month at a certain dose or two months, if you need your life to be stable for a while. It's still there waiting for you.  Don't lose your prescription when you quit. If your doctor is hinting at being anti-benzo, don't tell them you're tapering, because that's one of the worst outcomes.  You need to be in charge of the timeline if at all possible.  I give everyone this advice because you'd be horribly surprised how often people get hurt by their doctors lack of understanding, ESPECIALLY of benzo's, clonazepam - I've taken it off and on 20 years and have met 0 doctors in person who know how to taper it properly, or even know all of the things clonazepam is used for, or aren't missing some crucial information, like knowing it's half life. You name it. Doctors spend practically NO time learning about these drugs.  Maybe the younger ones do, I don't know.

When you finally quit your clonaz, don't stop your prescription for at least 30 days of taking no pills and feeling NO withdrawals, or even 60 if you want.  This might not be the advice of everyone, but in my life personally, this would have saved me from a good deal of suffering.  Sometimes you have to keep trying. Remember you aren't failing if you don't quit quitting.

I had to go back up sometimes after rough cuts, it's NO big deal, nothing. I had to wait to stabilize, take a break sometimes.  One cut was rougher than the others but bearable enough to stick it out.  Etc.  When I finally quit I was taking inaccurate CRUMBS of the big flat 0.5mg pills, and when I finally went to 0, I felt nothing at all.

Unfortunately a medical situation got me back on them, and I'm re-dependent. I say this so that my posts are always as honest as possible.  But I was not dependent for a good deal of time. I've quit it more than once, I've cold turkeyed off a high dose and had protracted withdrawals for years, and then I did a roughly year and a half taper later in my life which worked like a charm. World of difference.  When I did the slow taper, I got NO withdrawals when I went to 0. 

The only thing I would do differently is the advice I just gave you. NEVER tell your doctor unless they REALLY understand.  If they show even a HINT of not understanding benzo's 100%, I'd personally never tell them.  Once you get to a low enough pill to cut all the way to quitting.

0.5mg pills are fine if they're the big kind with a slit down the middle, once you get to crumb sized pieces your body is not likely to care as much about how accurate it is, you'll stabilize regardless. Alternately you can do one day on and one day off once you're on truly low doses since clonaz has such a long half life. I did not try this but I always kept it in mind - so you might have to research on that. But the half-life should technically allow for that.

I pray that the Lord Jesus Bless you and set your free from your suffering and hardship. Take courage!

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and understanding. I feel not so alone which makes me panic less. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :smitten:

I had the adrenaline during the acute part of WD. I thought it wouldn't ever end. It does end. I tried putting one leg out of the bed (like when you spin when drunk). I tried praying. I tried getting up. I went through insomnia, too. Your body is healing, even though you may feel like shite. Drink lots of water. I found that as I got off my meds, these symptoms do decrease.

Stay strong and don't go back on the meds once you're off. It gets better. Believe it. Hug yourself. Hug someone else. You'll get through it.

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Mindful,

If you even want to talk, feel free to message me. I am still fresh off WD, or who knows, maybe a really nice window. But it wasn't that many weeks ago that I was doing good to even take a bath because of this crap. If I can help others keep some sanity in their WD, it's the least I can do.

The Benzobuddies group has been my lifeline! I learned what was going on with my body here when doctors could not figure out my symptoms.

Fish and chip you rock, ty!

Mindful,

If you even want to talk, feel free to message me. I am still fresh off WD, or who knows, maybe a really nice window. But it wasn't that many weeks ago that I was doing good to even take a bath because of this crap. If I can help others keep some sanity in their WD, it's the least I can do.

The Benzobuddies group has been my lifeline! I learned what was going on with my body here when doctors could not figure out my symptoms.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Pa...]
    • [gr...]
    • [in...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Gu...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Mi...]
    • [ra...]