Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Weird, Random Thoughts

[ia...]

My Valium taper ended 3 years ago.  I have recently tapered from 40mg. of Baclofen per day, down to 20mg.  It was almost as bad as my Valium taper.  For the last few weeks, I'm experiencing symptoms very much like benzo withdrawal, and I'm anxious about where the symptoms are coming from.  I'm having a problem with distressing, random thoughts that upset me.  This morning, I looked at a photo of a man and woman singing together, and my first thought was that it was strange that 2 people would sing together at the same time.  I immediately reminded myself of choir groups, and I knew my first thought was ridiculous.  But it stayed with me for a time, and I had a hard time shaking it.  As always, my fear is that my use of benzos and Benadryl has led to early-onset dementia.  I guess I'm looking for reassurance that my bizarre thoughts are common in withdrawal.  Thanks!

Hi,

Thoughts like this, and yours is actually a mild one, are common withdrawal symptoms, they are called "intrusive thoughts," and many of us have had them.  I did, and mine were morbid and deeply disturbing.  But all this is temporary, and they do go away in time.  Actively distracting myself worked best for me. 

You're not going crazy, it's just withdrawal.

:smitten:

I came off of baclofen prior to clonazepam, you are right- they are very similar. It’s also possible baclofen was helping with some benzo symptoms and coming off baclofen now they’re being exposed. I would think it’s the former as you’re at three years. Doesn’t matter which one it is really, end result is the same/ just keep going. 

megan918 is correct!  My CBT counselor, and have read several articles referring to them as " junk thoughts " and common from the withdraw phase and after, as your brain begins to realign the correct chemistry. That said, your brain believes what it sees. Each time you have these, you should redirect your brain by explaining to yourself that they are a result of the withdraw and have no real meaning or connection. If you have negative thoughts these also are attached to your loss of control and frustration which is projected on the random things that pop out of your brain. I projected on things on the TV, music, my bedroom, and even disturbing even violent thoughts. All normal. Continued redirect will train your brain to discard the thoughts rather than making them real and adding more anxiety. They will go away I had them as well and now clear. Hang in there.

megan918 is correct!  My CBT counselor, and have read several articles referring to them as " junk thoughts " and common from the withdraw phase and after, as your brain begins to realign the correct chemistry. That said, your brain believes what it sees. Each time you have these, you should redirect your brain by explaining to yourself that they are a result of the withdraw and have no real meaning or connection. If you have negative thoughts these also are attached to your loss of control and frustration which is projected on the random things that pop out of your brain. I projected on things on the TV, music, my bedroom, and even disturbing even violent thoughts. All normal. Continued redirect will train your brain to discard the thoughts rather than making them real and adding more anxiety. They will go away I had them as well and now clear. Hang in there.

That's great info, and a very thoughtful response, TC!  Many Thanks!

At 17 months off, I still experience these in waves. I only get them when I'm about to fall asleep, which ultimately prevent me from falling asleep and feed into my insomnia.

My last one was last night, kept me up the entire night. I kept visualizing a game of Tetherball and having to beat someone from an episode of a television show that I frequently watch... they make no sense and they're miserable, especially if you get them when you're trying to fall asleep, but they're part of the process. When you get them, tell yourself that they're signs that you're healing.

Good luck!

I have had these, and yes, they can be intimidating. I think the advice here re distraction and accepting reassurance is correct. I just can't take every bizarre, ugly thought so seriously, and I'm very tired of catastrophizing and being so scared. I know I've made my w/d worse by not working hard enough on banishing negative thoughts. Not easy to do, but SOOOO worth the effort. Distract and accept when you must...without piling on. Keep hope alive!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]