Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Connection ADHD and prolonged BZW

[Ho...]

Hey guys, are there more people diagnozed with ADHD and experiencing a harder withdrawal or prolonged withdrawal with severe symptoms? I think I am one of those unlucky guys with a very sensitive brain and addicted pretty fast to things. Let me know!

[57...]

Hey guys, are there more people diagnozed with ADHD and experiencing a harder withdrawal or prolonged withdrawal with severe symptoms? I think I am one of those unlucky guys with a very sensitive brain and addicted pretty fast to things. Let me know!

I have ADHD too...never thought about if that could cause a worse w/d . But I know that all intrusive thoughts and even racing thoughts might effect my brain which is already in full speed...

:)

I have developed very bad behaviour thanks to my lovely ADHD brain. During this process I became obsessed with gambling with all the consequences. Great!

But I strongly believe there is a connection, because our brains are hyper anyway and have been crashed because of stopping the benzo's to quickly. I have an appointment with the neurologist soon, we will see what he tells me. Another buddy told me she has ADHD as well. I mean we can't do anything with this information, but it seems common.

I have adhd, if there is any negative connection it is probably poor coping skills. For example I can’t meditate, my brain just won’t do it. So that’s a coping skill I miss out on during the withdrawal process that I’m sure helps healing. With adhd we’re super intense into things for short periods then leave them. Healing is about making commitment to long term changes, which is not our strong suit. So if there’s a connection at all I think it lies there.

Guys, did you ever wonder whether that worked the other way round? I mean, did you have ADHD before benzos and withdrawal? I sure didn't and right now my brain goes from one thing to another => that tells me this is withdrawal, and for me, mental akathisia.

For those of you who got diagnosed with ADHD while on drugs or after discontinuation, even after many long months... I'd say this: give it some healing time and see what happens.

In the meantime, find ways to cope, I know it is very hard and causes a lot of distress. I'm unable to watch TV or sit still with anything (mental and physical akathisia)...

I don't want to challenge any diagnoses, but perhaps open some buddies up to the idea that this too might be withdrawal... and if is, well it is good news, because it will get better 😉

Julz xx

Hi Julz, never thought this way but may be you are right. We are getting labels on our forehead.

However I have always been a restless and overactive person so would not surprise if this is the case.

If yes, thats not a big deal to live with. Everything better than BZW. I think we have to wait and see untill it’s over. A friend of mine is taking Ritalin, but to be honest I am done with any kind of pills from now on.

With adhd we’re super intense into things for short periods then leave them. Healing is about making commitment to long term changes, which is not our strong suit. So if there’s a connection at all I think it lies there.

I definitely agree with this. Are you taking any prescription against it?

[57...]

Guys, did you ever wonder whether that worked the other way round? I mean, did you have ADHD before benzos and withdrawal? I sure didn't and right now my brain goes from one thing to another => that tells me this is withdrawal, and for me, mental akathisia.

For those of you who got diagnosed with ADHD while on drugs or after discontinuation, even after many long months... I'd say this: give it some healing time and see what happens.

In the meantime, find ways to cope, I know it is very hard and causes a lot of distress. I'm unable to watch TV or sit still with anything (mental and physical akathisia)...

I don't want to challenge any diagnoses, but perhaps open some buddies up to the idea that this too might be withdrawal... and if is, well it is good news, because it will get better 😉

Julz xx

I have been diagnosed with ADHD before benzo use  :angel:

Hi,

I was diagnosed with ADHD 5 years after my benzo use.  Once I tapered off of K, I then tapered off of my ADHD medication.  My brain is so much better without both.  Of course, I still have bad days, but overall brain is almost back to the clarity and focus I once enjoyed every day.

So, I believe my ADHD diagnosis was a direct result of my benzo brain.

-L2S

I was diagnosed before benzos. Was on vyvanse a long time, 10 years or so and it worked well. I came off it late I my taper because I didn’t want anything clouding the picture at all. I’ve stopped intermittently for a couple weeks before and this last time was the same- I want to sleep for 3 days and then it’s over, that’s all the withdraws I’ve ever had from it. Right now my mind is fucked from clonazepam,  but once I’m healed up I may take vyvanse again, who knows. I do feel (same with adderall and others I’ve taken) it tends to deaden my emotions and make me flatter, so I very well may never touch it again once I have a huge new appreciation for my future recovered self.

I was diagnosed with ADHD a long time before w/d.

Now, it is really difficult bc I think my depression and anxiety for years were actually misdiagnosed, and I meet the diagnostic criteria for almost every damn mental illness and mood disorder across the map since having d/c clonazepam and having w/d symptoms.

I need support meds but I do not know what is best for me now.  I am going to fill out the paperwork for the DNA test for psych meds tomorrow and take it to my pdoc.  I hope my pdoc agrees, as he has been belligerent, agitated, and dispassionare at my last two visits.  Otherwise, I am going to seek out a new pdoc.

Right now my mind is fucked from clonazepam,  but once I’m healed up I may take vyvanse again, who knows. I do feel (same with adderall and others I’ve taken) it tends to deaden my emotions and make me flatter, so I very well may never touch it again once I have a huge new appreciation for my future recovered self.

I think we all share this, ADHD is something you can live with. I guess this is one of the reasons I became burn out, because our minds are always racing and overactive. May be in the future I am thinking about specific medication which does not work on GABA. But very scared to take something after this experience. With time, our bad habits will vanish and we get more inner rest. This experience is such an assault on my life that I am only looking at the bigger picture. A big house, car, job are not interesting at all, but a general well-being is worth everything.

I was diagnosed with ADHD 30 years before starting benzo’s. I took Dexedrine for 40 years. I am now off both benzo and Dexedrine. I am recovering. But I do think people with ADHD may have more sensitive brains to the chemicals and alcohol.  It might be something called a leaky blood brain barrier.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]
    • [Ni...]