Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Alprazolam physically dependent

[Su...]

Hello,  I am physically dependent on Alprazolam and have been for 4 years. I am entering a detox and rehab treatment facility in a week. I am terrified and would like to learn as much as possible about the protracted withdrawal process. I would like to help others in any way I can. Thank you.

zDFSObb.png

Hello Sunshine2739 !

We are very glad that you found us!

Going Cold Turkey can produce a lengthy recovery period for some who are sensitive to benzo's. Please reconsider this if it is a choice. I would also like to suggest that you do some research on the various boards. Find a method that will work for you. Becoming well informed should better enable you to make difficult decisions as well as provide you with the tools you need for a successful taper & recovery. You will find many knowledgeable members who will support your efforts to become benzo free. I have enclosed a few links below that may help you. Check them out!

Wishing you a smooth taper & speedy recovery!

Bella  :smitten:

Please take the time to tell us about your history by creating a signature:

For a direct link:

CLICK HERE --->

Create a Signature <--- CLICK HERE 

Links:

Taper Info:

Suggested reduction rate is 5%-10% every 10-14 days 

Create Your Own Taper Plan  by Jim Hawk 

Hello, Sunshine

I made a decision to go to detox/rehab because I was having trouble tapering down last a certain point. In hindsight, it was the wrong decision for me. Had I read everything here beforehand I would have microtapered.

Some people can get off in a detox without protracted withdrawal. A lot seems to turn on whether the person is getting off for the first time or has had multiple attempts to get off and is “kindled”.  Kindled people seem to have the hardest time after a cold turkey. I was kindled when I went but didn’t know what that was.

The cold turkey board is helpful but keep in mind that most people on these boards are people who have had an extremely difficult time coming off of benzos either through cold turkey or slower taper. Those who don’t suffer generally don’t seek a peer support group.

Welcome to BB!

Carol

Hi Sunshine2739, Welcome!

I agree with Carol, please educate yourself about this process, the best thing we've found is to taper slowly in the hopes of remaining functional in your life.  Detox facilities can get you off of the drug, but that doesn't guarantee you'll be symptom free once you are.  I quit Klonopin cold turkey and suffered for months with symptoms, even though I was drug free. 

The other point I'd like to make about going to a detox facility is the fact that you state you are physically dependent, which means you probably aren't an addict, most people here aren't either.  But in rehab, you'll probably be lumped in with people who are and learning the 12 steps or whatever policy they adhere to won't benefit you.

I hope I haven't discouraged you because you can quit this drug and if you decide not to go to treatment, we can help you through this because we understand this process like no others can.

Heretohelp

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]