Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Womp womp psych hospital

[An...]

I have used benydryl to help with the sleep. Never two nights in a row. Once off this stuff don't think I am taking anything that can affect CNS two days in a row!!

I started my taper at same level you did with a different set of charts. As I said hit the last 20% and a wall. When I went back and looked at Jim Hawks program that builder [i think] suggested] I saw they have an attenuated chart that slows down the last 1/3 taper to avoid the sx's. Wish I had seen that before.

Have backed up to .4 which I guess is a no-no but have a vacation/cruise coming up and if I don't make that ship am in trouble!! :-) Could be on the basement couch :-)!! And that adds anxiety as well. So am going to hold at that level then use Jim Hawks model for a slow taper and not rush. Taking zach55 approach and thinking positive and that I am in control and not this drug!! Reacting to the sx's just makes it worse for me and as I said I have stopped reading other threads except this one so I don't get ideas about how I should feel versus how I do feel and how I can control this drug.

So don't be scared. Get mad at this drug and don't let it beat you down. Be positive and trust the dr's and nurses.

Almost there and you can do it!!!

You should add, this was a study focusing on the elderly, especially those with alzheimer's and/or dementia,  which many medicines currently out there do.

My advice is do not take the Seroquel. 1) Movement disorder side effects are not that rare and appear after an unpredictable amount of time. 2) The drug can create physical dependence and be difficult to stop  3) The drug increases the probability of mortality by anywhere from 100-200% (https://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-alzheimers-disease-reports/adr170042). It's crazy to give this drug to someone without a psychotic disorder for any amount of time. I don't know if you have had delusions prior to benzo withdrawal, but if you are getting burning skin, tremors and high heart rate already, I would stop the drug. They are horrible medications and psychiatrists routinely downplay their risks, which has led to them being the top selling drugs in North America and killed god knows how many people who would otherwise be alive.

BTW, sorry you are having such a difficult time. For me, I could not take any medication, or even supplement. All made things worse. I hope you find something safe that helps you.

Good luck and be well.

You should add, this was a study focusing on the elderly, especially those with alzheimer's and/or dementia,  which many medicines currently out there do.

My advice is do not take the Seroquel. 1) Movement disorder side effects are not that rare and appear after an unpredictable amount of time. 2) The drug can create physical dependence and be difficult to stop  3) The drug increases the probability of mortality by anywhere from 100-200% (https://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-alzheimers-disease-reports/adr170042). It's crazy to give this drug to someone without a psychotic disorder for any amount of time. I don't know if you have had delusions prior to benzo withdrawal, but if you are getting burning skin, tremors and high heart rate already, I would stop the drug. They are horrible medications and psychiatrists routinely downplay their risks, which has led to them being the top selling drugs in North America and killed god knows how many people who would otherwise be alive.

BTW, sorry you are having such a difficult time. For me, I could not take any medication, or even supplement. All made things worse. I hope you find something safe that helps you.

Good luck and be well.

Yes, very true. Seems these medications should not be given to 1) children 2) the elderly 3) anyone whose health is frail. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the drugs' safety.

They stopped the Ativan last night. Not sure if I should start the 0.03 mg back up. I feel so shaky, blurred vision and the nigh time akathisia is starting.

heart rate finally normal. I think the Ativan was actually increases my heart rate.

Speak with a man here, on and off benzos. It's not good. They don't know what to do with him, neither does his family. We share similar symptoms.

Dear friend,

I believe it's very good that you stopped finally the Ativan.  You had such a small amount to wean off and you are thinking too much about the symptoms you might have.  You will start feeling better soon, just try to distract yourself with other things, talk to the kids on the phone basically get ready mentally to go home. You are free now from this medication that made you sick. Such a relief, trust that you will get better, NOT worse.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best,

Mary

Speak with a man here, on and off benzos. It's not good. They don't know what to do with him, neither does his family. We share similar symptoms.

Thats so sad  :'(

I met people inpaitent who were CTd off their benzos and were fine, and it peeved me to heck and back

Ya. I think ct can work for short term use people. I wish I did it. The ativan was paradoxical for me. I was eating poison thinking it would help me. I was a such stupid a fool. I'm upset I listened to the tapering advice here.

Ya. I think ct is fine for a lot of people. I wish I did it. The ativan was paradoxical for me. I was eating poison thinking it would help me. I was a such stupid a fool. I'm upset I listened to the tapering advice here.

Dont be mad at yourself! I would CT if i could, but my failed rapid taper was miserable, and if youre having symptoms while tapering a CT most likely wouldve been doubly bad. Hang in there, you can do this!

I would echo Byrjun comments and think I understand where anxiousmama coming from now off. Also understand from this blog that majority could not c/t depending on usage and so the advice was with all good intentions. I guess no one knows how anyone will react to this stuff whether taper or c/t. I can't imagine being on this stuff at high doses for years.

I want off and almost there. Holding for a few weeks until back from trip then a taper down to "jump" although the thought of just jumping at the hold level also a thought.

Great now off anxiousmama!!! Congrats. Keep us updated. Hopefully turned the corner and home soon!!!

I would echo Byrjun comments and think I understand where anxiousmama coming from now off. Also understand from this blog that majority could not c/t depending on usage and so the advice was with all good intentions. I guess no one knows how anyone will react to this stuff whether taper or c/t. I can't imagine being on this stuff at high doses for years.

I want off and almost there. Holding for a few weeks until back from trip then a taper down to "jump" although the thought of just jumping at the hold level also a thought.

Great now off anxiousmama!!! Congrats. Keep us updated. Hopefully turned the corner and home soon!!!

Thank you. I'm off 2 days now and quite frankly feeling a lot better. The Ativan was paradoxical for me... it was making me sicker, and more anxious. This is concerning because for those that were paradoxical to the drug, healing seems much slower. Theory is that it affects our genes to a greater degree.

Maybe it is good I am in a full service hospital for this. I worry about the medical effects more than the mental effects.

Good stuff..!!

Thanks for the updates, and your thoughts... Its a real help to be able to follow through as things unfold and changes happen..

Strength to you..!!

Paradoxical is one thing some of my past Drs mentioned, but not for benzos... Now im starting to re-visit the whole concept as it might relate to some of us... Pre concieved ideas and lack of discussion made me dismiss what appeared to be casual comments from those couple of Drs..

Keep up the good work... The rewards are coming..

:)

Good stuff..!!

Thanks for the updates, and your thoughts... Its a real help to be able to follow through as things unfold and changes happen..

Strength to you..!!

Paradoxical is one thing some of my past Drs mentioned, but not for benzos... Now im starting to re-visit the whole concept as it might relate to some of us... Pre concieved ideas and lack of discussion made me dismiss what appeared to be casual comments from those couple of Drs..

Keep up the good work... The rewards are coming..

Thanks Cant

I think paradoxical reactions are a real concern and aren't rare on this site. Lexapro made me manic. Ativan made me anxious, sick, stressed, weird. I could never feel well on it. 2 hours after a dose I felt high heart rate. I'm in no way thinking I am walking off this drug but it's amazing to me that I can think clearly for the first time, no panic, I feel connected, no racing heart or sick sweat smell. I feel kind of fine, actually. The benzo people here say it'll hit'll soon.

I have assurances by the psych team that I wont be reinstated on benzos, nor locked up in the P-ICU area unless I hurt myself or others, and I am being given vitamin c, magnesium, l-theanine, and half a benedryl for sleep by the nurses. I'm waiting for the pharmacist to research and clear my NAC, ALA, PQQ, Inositol. They want to see me get better here by doing group activities, which I keep telling them is not going to miraculously happen in a couple of weeks, but that's what they think benzo withdrawal is. They think my fear and expectation of a hard withdrawal is a delusion, still, but whatever.

I think they are keeping the Seroquel in their back pocket. They say no lyrica or muscle relaxants, same gaba stuff. My psych says i'm "in a pickle." One psych came in to check on me and said the worst thing you can do for withdrawal is give other medications.

I think the group activies are a very good distraction ànd you should párticipate. This way you cooperate with them and they will let you go home.

Yeah, jump in, make the most of it... My detox was one of the grandest social events of my post accident life..  As to the Drs.. I would just say how you feel and leave them with the diagnosing.. let them explain to you why it ISNT WD, if they want "treat" you for something that you dont think is right..  Kinda just let it go if it isnt serving you well... A bit of reverse psychology 101 on the ol' Doc...

I just hope you get a pretty smooth ride from here on...

. . . it's amazing to me that I can think clearly for the first time, no panic, I feel connected, no racing heart or sick sweat smell. I feel kind of fine, actually. The benzo people here say it'll hit'll soon.

I have assurances by the psych team that I wont be reinstated on benzos, nor locked up in the P-ICU area unless I hurt myself or others, and I am being given vitamin c, magnesium, l-theanine, and half a benedryl for sleep by the nurses. I'm waiting for the pharmacist to research and clear my NAC, ALA, PQQ, Inositol. They want to see me get better here by doing group activities

All of that above seems pretty good!

. . . it's amazing to me that I can think clearly for the first time, no panic, I feel connected, no racing heart or sick sweat smell. I feel kind of fine, actually. The benzo people here say it'll hit'll soon.

I have assurances by the psych team that I wont be reinstated on benzos, nor locked up in the P-ICU area unless I hurt myself or others, and I am being given vitamin c, magnesium, l-theanine, and half a benedryl for sleep by the nurses. I'm waiting for the pharmacist to research and clear my NAC, ALA, PQQ, Inositol. They want to see me get better here by doing group activities

All of that above seems pretty good!

Thanks, hubby. :)

Dang, can I come to your hospital?! I was just let out of the hospital because their psyche ward is full and so are all the others in the area, I had panic attacks at work and now need to quit...

They wanted to send me to a place that has like 10 rights violations within the past few years  :o

Great to see anxiousmama has "sidelinedsupporter" standing by her side!!! Saw day 5 now off and an example for us all.

On vacation for two weeks [and that has me stressed??] as I just want off this stuff as well. Can't happen soon enough so will be tapering somewhat to get a lower value and jump. Having said that part of me says low enough to take the hit for the 72 hours or whatever it takes to clear this out of system.

Looking forward to getting back and seeing that you have dumped this stuff!!! Thanx for sharing your experience with this stuff. Hard to wrestle with this stuff when no one to really chat with so those group activities should be valuable as zack55 says.

Take care

anxiousmama--

The fact that you feel better is very promising. I know that acute can pop up after several half-lives of the Ativan, but honestly if you're feeling better off and you aren't even getting any creep up in symptoms at day 2 you may be in the clear. If not, the fact that you're feeling better could mean that anything that does manifest will be mild, and no matter what, you will get through this and be much better off. Well done on getting off the poison!

My Klonopin started to become paradoxical too, so I have sped up my taper. I feel sick, weak, toxic, caustic, and my heart rate is elevated, but I get the prickling burning, anxiety, and an increase in tinnitus and hyperacusis right after dosing. I also have benzo flu all day which I never used to have. If I hold I feel progressively worse and worse. I can't wait to be free too. I'm rooting and praying for you. You got this!

anxiousmama--

The fact that you feel better is very promising. I know that acute can pop up after several half-lives of the Ativan, but honestly if you're feeling better off and you aren't even getting any creep up in symptoms at day 2 you may be in the clear. If not, the fact that you're feeling better could mean that anything that does manifest will be mild, and no matter what, you will get through this and be much better off. Well done on getting off the poison!

My Klonopin started to become paradoxical too, so I have sped up my taper. I feel sick, weak, toxic, caustic, and my heart rate is elevated, but I get the prickling burning, anxiety, and an increase in tinnitus and hyperacusis right after dosing. I also have benzo flu all day which I never used to have. If I hold I feel progressively worse and worse. I can't wait to be free too. I'm rooting and praying for you. You got this!

Thanks Trust. I was like that too. A week hold made me sooo sick. Each dose felt caustic in my mouth. I thought it was just withdrawal but it was the ativan itself that was making me sick. Trust your gut... you are so close! I feel terrible, but less terrible than I was on it. I'm noticing I'm shakier, twitchier and having trouble with cognition more today. Also, I notice that I can't cry? Trying to do crosswords and having a tough time :(  But heart rate is lower. I think it'll hit soon but that stuff was no good for me all the way down. Terrible drug. I hope I can heal up and get back to seeing my kids soon. What a mess.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [El...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [jo...]
    • [ca...]
    • [Ni...]
    • [...]
    • [Sk...]
    • [in...]
    • [Ho...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [Bu...]