A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×

Withdrawal cause heart problems?

[he...]

I have been housebound since I finished my taper with severe panic attacks and weakness, and other crazy bizarre symptoms.  I have been having heart palpitations and went to see a cardiologist for a check up.  My echocardiogram shows I have low cardiac output at 35-40% and now I have to start taking lisinopril for it and have a heart catheterization done on Monday to find the cause.  I also wore a home heart monitor and was just diagnosed with atrial flutter and have to start taking metoproplol for that.  Does withdrawal cause heart problems?  I don't know why I've developed the low cardiac function when 4 years ago it was normal.

Hi,

I'm so very sorry you're going through this, it must be very hard for you.  But, I've been on this forum for almost six years, and I've never heard of withdrawal actually causing physical heart problems.  Palpitations and rapid heartbeat yes, usually due to anxiety, but not physical issues. 

:smitten:

Megan

Hi hennypenny! I can't really comment on your specific heart conditions, but I do agree with Megan's comment regarding the notion that benzo withdrawal won't typically cause any serious heart issues. I would like to suggest the idea of being very careful of adding other meds, though, particularly Metoprolol. It will indeed treat an atrial flutter problem, but since benzo withdrawal and anxiety can tend to induce heart palpitations as well as some minor flutter issues that go along with it, I'd be absolutely certain of the cause before taking this drug. The reason I say this is because Metoprolol is also used to treat high blood pressure, and if your current blood pressure is somewhere within the normal range, this drug can bring your BP down to dangerously low levels. It's also quite possible to become dependent on Metoprolol, so that can further add even more withdrawal problems.

About five years ago I had a doctor prescribe Metoprolol for having borderline hypertension. Instead of suggesting that I change my diet and to lose weight in order to bring my BP down a bit, he just stated that this drug would solve the problem. Long story short, I eventually lost some weight as well as eating better, and it resulted in my BP plunging to levels where I could hardly stand or walk, not to mention that I felt as though I was going to pass out all of the time. That further resulted in a rather long process of having to wean myself off of the drug as well as going through a lengthy withdrawal period that was considerably worse than my benzo withdrawal. I've since brought my BP down to normal levels while having no need to take these drugs any longer.

At any rate, I'm certainly not trying to frighten you by any means, but I'd hate to see you go through an experience such as the one I had. I also have a very sensitive CNS, so that didn't help matters, either. Still, if your BP is within the normal range and if by chance your atrial flutter is caused by benzo withdrawal, I'd be highly cautious of adding Metoprolol to the mix.

Wishing you the very best!

Hi, hennypenny68, I'd like to chime in also, in case this info may be of use to you. 

I tend to agree with megan918 and JTele that benzo withdrawal usually isn't associated with serious heart issues, as far as I know, heart palpitations and rate, sure, but not issues that would require heart catherization or other interventions. 

Your cardiac output ("ejection fraction") of 35-40%, sounds like they're thinking/assuming it might be due to clogged arteries, which they'll verify with the heart cath.  Do you have high cholesterol?  If not, wouldn't seem likely that you'd have clogged artery issues.  But I do know that reduced heart function can be caused by viral infection.  They don't really have a way to check for such infection, of course, but if you've had a healthy heart and there's no other explanation, they could attribute your reduced heart function to such infection (and then the heart cath won't show anything).  Might you have had a bad cold virus or pneumonia recently? 

I ask these questions to try to get at what might be behind your heart issue, because I also agree with JTele that taking on more meds, including heart meds (metoprolol, lisinopril, etc.), should be done with the utmost care. 

A question for JTele (you're welcome to PM me with a reply or of course to reply here if your info could be of help to others), you said "That further resulted in a rather long process of having to wean myself off of the drug as well as going through a lengthy withdrawal period that was considerably worse than my benzo withdrawal. I've since brought my BP down to normal levels while having no need to take these drugs any longer."  What did you mean by "having to wean off" the metoprolol?  How did you do it?  Withdrawal from metoprolol was actually WORSE than benzo withdrawal?  Again, could you explain your experience with this drug?  Would very much appreciate hearing about it.  Thank you! 

delta1

Hi delta! Yeah, I'd be happy to reply to your question here, especially if it's of any help to the OP.

Well, first off, I was on Metroprolol for about two years. It actually worked pretty well for me until I lost just enough weight for it to turn its ugly head. When I realized that I needed to wean myself off of it, I basically used a tapering program that's very similar to what BB members have used for tapering themselves off of benzos. Since doctors were of no help whatsoever, I decided to search online for others who've had similar problems. I did eventually find some people who basically gave me the same kind of support that you'll typically see here, so I found myself gradually cutting doses for several weeks before making the jump. I probably should've taken more time in doing so, though, for my withdrawal period was horrific. While I had many of the same symptoms as I had with benzo withdrawal, I found myself to be much weaker. Even getting out of bed in the morning became a huge task, and often times I felt as though I'd keel over. It also led to two ambulance rides to the hospital as well as several trips to the ER. Not surprisingly, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. They gave me EKGs, a heart cath, stress tests, and numerous other tests without finding a clue as to what was wrong. One doctor even commented that I must be in terrific shape with a pulse rate of around 48 or so.......sheesh. Of course, my blood pressure dropped to dangerously low levels as well, so I'm pretty sure that much of the weakness was do to that.

Now, having said that, if you've noticed in my signature, I was a short-term user of Xanax. I pretty much attribute my easier time with benzo withdrawal to using the drug for a much shorter period of time. Of course, it wasn't at all easy, as far as I'm concerned, but it wasn't as intense 24/7 like it was with Metroprolol. There have been some major differences, too. Once I was past my Metoprolol withdrawal, I had no more rebounding symptoms of any kind. With Xanax, however, I experienced close to a 3-month wave that I never experienced with Metoprolol. I do know that both of these drugs can have a profound effect on our nervous systems, though, so in that respect, the withdrawal symptoms were very similar.

At any rate, I hope this helps in answering your question. Perhaps it's more information than you care to know.......LOL.

Hope you're doing well!

Can you share how much metoprolol you were taking?  I have been prescribed 25 mg metoprolol twice a day but I'm only supposed to take the second one if my systolic number is above 105.

They are looking for a cause of my low cardiac output and therefore are starting with the most common cause which is a blockage.  I personally have a gut feeling that there is no blockage.  I'm not overweight and I have not been retaining fluid.  My blood pressure had been recently been going up a little higher than what is considered normal for me but not so terribly high that needs to be treated.  It's been awhile since I've had my cholesterol tested but whenever I did have, it was always normal.  As far as I am aware, I have not been ill with anything but that's debatable because I have not felt well in about 4 years since all this psych med withdrawal and polydrugging really began.  I have been having some breathing problems, especially concerning my throat that gets so unbearable at times that it increases my anxiety and I feel in distress.  I have been to an ENT for it but no one seems to find anything but the problem keeps getting worse.  I also have CFS/ME and other chronic health problems so I have no idea what is causing all my symptoms but I'm feeling hopeless that I will ever have a semi decent day in my life.

I called my cardiologist today because I have been having stomach regurgitation from the lisinopril and I woke up the other night with stomach pain like what happens if I eat something I'm intolerant to.  He said I could stop the lisinopril but will be talking to me after my heart cath on monday about some different medications he wants to put me on.  I know they said on the phone after they told me that I have the atrial flutter that he will most likely want to put me on a blood thinner because atrial flutter puts me at risk of blood clots.  I have had heart palpitations for years and heart tests in the past but was always told they were normal so this has come as a shock to me that they are actually finding stuff now.  I also had a calcium score done which was 0 but the scan also showed a view of my lungs and they said there were 2 nodules on my lungs and that I need to have my primary care doctor follow up with a ct scan of just the lungs.  I have had nodules show up in my lungs before and they would go away so I'm hoping that is the case again but I hate exposing myself to so many ct scans  :-\

Well, it sounds like many of your symptoms are similar to those of benzo withdrawal. That's the frightening thing about it, though, for many of us can have so many symptoms without knowing what's actually causing them. It would be great if your doctor can rule out a few things, and your heart cath will certainly give you a great deal of information as well. Please keep us posted!

I took 25mg of Metoprolol twice a day. Since it initially brought down my blood pressure to the normal range, I didn't think anything of it. As I posted earlier, one day it just turned on me. My BP dropped as low as 65/35 until I started reducing my dosage, at which time it shot up to the 160/100 range. I'm sure that the high spikes were primarily due to rebound effects as well as anxiety. It didn't return back to normal for almost two months after I stopped taking the drug.

Your doctor seems to be giving you good advice regarding the notion of taking your second dose only if your systolic is above 105, for you really don't want that number to drop below 90 if you can help it.

I have absolutely no experience with Lisinopril, but it would certainly be nice if you could get to the root of these problems before taking these drugs on a regular basis. The good news is that a heart cath is a relatively painless procedure while being very effective. If they do find some blockage, they'll place a stent in that location right then and there. It doesn't take very long, either. I'm sure that alone will certainly give you a peace of mind once it's over with.

Again, wishing you the very best!

Atrial flutter is not an uncommon arrhythmia.  But it isn't caused by benzo withdrawal per se, but maybe it aggravates it?  It in and of itself can cause low cardiac output. That is because usually the atria beat in rhythm with the ventricles.  First the Atria contracts, pushing the blood into the ventricles, then a second later the full ventricle contracts pushing the book out to the body. In atrial flutter, the Atria are beating too fast and not allowing the ventricles to fill completely before they contract, thus causing low cardiac output.  That is why they try to use drugs like beta blockers to try and reset the heart back to its normal rhythm.  If they can reset the normal rhythm, the low cardiac output is improved. Sounds like you ate getting the proper care and advice. Hang in there!

She

Hennypenny, it's great you got it checked out and started treatment.

I wanted to add that I went to the doctor a few weeks ago for the first time in probably 12 years, and was told I have a heart murmur. Now, the doc said it's nothing to worry about unless I'm getting chest pains or heart palpitations out of the blue when I'm not stressed (which I only get them when I am stressed), however when I was 16, I first started experiencing heart palpitations and had some type of recording done to my heart, and if I remember correctly, the test did not find a heart murmur. I don't really know if I developed the heart murmur after withdrawal, and I'm not saying benzos/benzo withdrawal caused this, but I've thought about it a few times and think maybe the extra stress on my heart from the physical symptoms of withdrawal might have done something to my heart-- this is only my opinion and has no medical grounding. Just thought I'd add that in here.

Like others have said, I haven't ready anything on the forum about withdrawal causing any type of physical damage to the heart.

Hi delta! Yeah, I'd be happy to reply to your question here, especially if it's of any help to the OP.

Well, first off, I was on Metroprolol for about two years. It actually worked pretty well for me until I lost just enough weight for it to turn its ugly head. When I realized that I needed to wean myself off of it, I basically used a tapering program that's very similar to what BB members have used for tapering themselves off of benzos. Since doctors were of no help whatsoever, I decided to search online for others who've had similar problems. I did eventually find some people who basically gave me the same kind of support that you'll typically see here, so I found myself gradually cutting doses for several weeks before making the jump. I probably should've taken more time in doing so, though, for my withdrawal period was horrific. While I had many of the same symptoms as I had with benzo withdrawal, I found myself to be much weaker. Even getting out of bed in the morning became a huge task, and often times I felt as though I'd keel over. It also led to two ambulance rides to the hospital as well as several trips to the ER. Not surprisingly, the doctors couldn't find anything wrong. They gave me EKGs, a heart cath, stress tests, and numerous other tests without finding a clue as to what was wrong. One doctor even commented that I must be in terrific shape with a pulse rate of around 48 or so.......sheesh. Of course, my blood pressure dropped to dangerously low levels as well, so I'm pretty sure that much of the weakness was do to that.

Now, having said that, if you've noticed in my signature, I was a short-term user of Xanax. I pretty much attribute my easier time with benzo withdrawal to using the drug for a much shorter period of time. Of course, it wasn't at all easy, as far as I'm concerned, but it wasn't as intense 24/7 like it was with Metroprolol. There have been some major differences, too. Once I was past my Metoprolol withdrawal, I had no more rebounding symptoms of any kind. With Xanax, however, I experienced close to a 3-month wave that I never experienced with Metoprolol. I do know that both of these drugs can have a profound effect on our nervous systems, though, so in that respect, the withdrawal symptoms were very similar.

At any rate, I hope this helps in answering your question. Perhaps it's more information than you care to know.......LOL.

Hope you're doing well!

Hey can you point me towards the tapering off metoprolol forum?  My mother is having issues because of this and the doctors are of no help.  I would like to see more information about this. 

Hey can you point me towards the tapering off metoprolol forum?  My mother is having issues because of this and the doctors are of no help.  I would like to see more information about this.

PM sent......

hennypenny68

Have you brought up to the physicians about your withdrawing? I'm just curious, you may have said something about this and I missed it. The reason I am asking is that if you plug in "heart palpitations" you will get tons of experiences about having HP during withdrawal and even months or years after. PVC are pretty common, I've had them even before my experience with Benzodiasopams. PACs  are different but both are affected by electrical impulses. I'm not sure about the heart output. If your heart output is low constantly that would sure be far different than a temporary condition while experiencing a palpitation.

I have experienced the same issues as you during withdrawal. I never had a doctor check my heart output. For all I know, it may have been affected the same as yours. Here is something that you may try with your doctors knowledge. Either take magnesium (not oxide) or ask your doctor to administer magnesium and then have your heart output measured again. Magnesium may lessen you heart palpitations. It seemed to help with me. It may also help some of your other issues, such as your regurgitation.

hennypenny68

Have you brought up to the physicians about your withdrawing? I'm just curious, you may have said something about this and I missed it. The reason I am asking is that if you plug in "heart palpitations" you will get tons of experiences about having HP during withdrawal and even months or years after. PVC are pretty common, I've had them even before my experience with Benzodiasopams. PACs  are different but both are affected by electrical impulses. I'm not sure about the heart output. If your heart output is low constantly that would sure be far different than a temporary condition while experiencing a palpitation.

I have experienced the same issues as you during withdrawal. I never had a doctor check my heart output. For all I know, it may have been affected the same as yours. Here is something that you may try with your doctors knowledge. Either take magnesium (not oxide) or ask your doctor to administer magnesium and then have your heart output measured again. Magnesium may lessen you heart palpitations. It seemed to help with me. It may also help some of your other issues, such as your regurgitation.

I think I did mention to the cardiologist that I was trying to stay off of the valium.  I had actually been using magnesium daily and it never seemed to make any difference in my symptoms.  I was taking magnesium malate and was taking it about 4 months.

• 1 month later...

I hope elevated BP is just withdrawal because I am really struggling with my BP.  But I do think it is withdrawal.  Withdrawal for me causes anxiety and then anxiety raises BP.

I hope elevated BP is just withdrawal because I am really struggling with my BP.  But I do think it is withdrawal.  Withdrawal for me causes anxiety and then anxiety raises BP.

That's exactly what happened to me early on. It still does very slightly, but I think the worst of that is over for me these days. Still, I know the feeling all too well. Unless your BP is skyrocketing into life-threatening levels, it's probably just fine. Do you have a BP monitor?

I had my heart catheterization and everything came back great.  No blockages and the cardiologist said my arteries looked like brand new ones.  My cardiac output had even improved to 45-50%  He said that most likely the atrial flutter was causing the low cardiac output and that my episodes of atrial flutter were very fast which the metoprolol is helping.  I am being referred to an electrophysiologist for a possible cardiac ablation.

I'm not having as many panic attacks now and the anxiety and terror feelings have improved.  Still struggling with severe fatigue and the problem with my throat has not improved but am following up with my lung doctor who said my breathing test showed some type of obstruction in my throat and wants me to follow up with an ENT so hopefully there will be a remedy for it.

Hey hennypenny, Very glad to read your heart catheterization revealled no blockages. Benzo withdrawal can cause palpatations and tachycardia (raised heartrate) but It wouldnt on its own cause a low cardiac output, however the atrial fibilations could contribute to that problem and your doctor pointed out. I think if you had some underlying atrial fibrillations to begin with, withdrawal could well exacerbate them, but I doubt It would cause it completely. Ablations are often very successful in curing fibrilations however. I hope it all goes well  :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...
hello!i am at seven months CT and had rebound anxiety triggered by health anxiety for annual mamogram etc. my heart has been racing when i wake up and is at 118 when usually is 60. even in early withdrawal it was lower..can rebound anxiety cause this? blood pressure fine. very worried any comments would help!

Hi!

7 months after cold turkey is still unfortunately going to give you a heck of a ride regarding bizarre symptoms.

Symptoms that leave can visit from time to time, and then new symptoms take center stage.

Health anxiety is also common, bc our fear center is so easily triggered still.

Us e coping techniques to relax yourself. When you can speak logically and positively to yourself regarding stressful situations. A new scent or temperature can help with anxiety - basically any sensory changes that comfort you or distracts your body.

But the early morning racy feeling is textbook for most members here. Our body is very sensitive to the body's normal morning cortisol surge. It creates anxiety at the same time. It would wake me out of my sleep, and the racy thoughts would follow. As the body adjusts to this in the morning, ppl usually feel better closer to noon.

If you feel like approaching a doctor about this, or getting your cortisol levels checked for reassurance you could do that. However many of us have done this only to come up empty and its just the joys of benzo recovery!

:smitten:

Thank you for the quick and thoughtful response. My only comfort is in September my resting was 60 and I was 4 months ct and in December during a wave it was 118. I doubt I developed a heart problem in just a matter of a couple months but since it’s a “new” and alarming symptom I am still worried. That being said an ekg would be a huge trigger for me since I have health anxiety so it’s a delicate balance of being thorough but not hyper..it’s hard to take my pulse rate because now I get so anxious before checking it that my heart races! What are your tips and have you heard people at 7 months out having elevated heart rate and rebound anxiety? Thank you henny!!

I never had any heart issues, I did a 2 year taper off of 1-2 mg of rivotril taken for 16 years. the day I jumped I began having PVCs, heart test came back as inconclusive.

Gaba controls everything in your body, there is no doubt in my mind that withdrawal can cause heart issues, even the doctor agreed which surprised me.

My anxiety is out of control, having panic attacks that last for days, yes they can last that long when you chain them together, not sure how long the body can do this for, its out of control, Im 6 months free of benzo, everyday is worse than the last.

Hey hennypenny, Very glad to read your heart catheterization revealled no blockages. Benzo withdrawal can cause palpatations and tachycardia (raised heartrate) but It wouldnt on its own cause a low cardiac output, however the atrial fibilations could contribute to that problem and your doctor pointed out. I think if you had some underlying atrial fibrillations to begin with, withdrawal could well exacerbate them, but I doubt It would cause it completely. Ablations are often very successful in curing fibrilations however. I hope it all goes well  :thumbsup:

Agree with sunshine.

This post is going to scare a lot of people and I don’t support causing fear for newbies. I have never seen wd cause a heart problem as long as I’ve been here. It causes benign skips and tachycardia. Not serious issues. But it probably can make existing serious issues worse.

I hope you feel better soon and I’m glad the medicine is helping.

[6f...]

I notice this post was originally made in 2018.

I experienced the same exact thing right after I came off of Valium as the original buddie posted.

I’ve met one other person who also had EF of 35% after coming off of a benzo. Neither of us had any underlying heart conditions beforehand. Then a year later it was at 55%.

So as it can scare people, it indeed can and has happened. 

hi gang! has anyone had TSH bouncing around even 7 months out CT? my t3 and t4 are normal and my TSH is staying just under Hypothyroid and i have no symptoms but realize if it goes over 10 i need to medicate, anyone else waited it out and had it correct on its own? thank you!