Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tappering .5 Xanax after long time use

[...]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [bu...]

• [Bi...]

• [sh...]

1)  The generally accepted conversion between xanax and diazepam is 1mg X= 20mg diazepam.

2)  You cannot just "switch", you need to migrate gradually,  lowering the X while you increase the diazepam.

Then if it's a slow migrate..I won't have enough valium to see if xanax has been causing my eye issues since march.. this sucks.

But Ashton says start by replacing one of the dosages with the valium.

So I could take ..250 xanax and 5mg valium.

Maybe do this for a few days?

It  will probably  be 7-10 days before you really know what the impact of that change will be. 

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to make you aware of how diazepam works.  To reach full effectiveness, it has to slowly accumulate in the body.  For tapering, that is a good thing, but it means a quick cut over from a short half-life benzo may be a little rough.

You mean the impact on my eyes? Or impact on me?

I'm not sure what to do now. My main reasoning was to determine if in fact xanax can be the culprit in my eyes  burning and pain.

You mean the impact on my eyes? Or impact on me?

What I'm saying is you probably will not notice much immediate impact from the diazepam.  It will take several days, maybe a week, before it reaches full effectiveness.

If you were to simultaneously trade .05 X for 1mg of diazepam, there is liklihood you would experience some sxs for some interim period.  Your body will metabolize the X faster than the onset of the diazepam.

hey builder, I am in acute at .01mg spread over 5 doses per day. i am planning to jump on Monday. do you think my sxs will get any worse? also, did have acute when you jumped?

I would agree but .. I have also been on the same ssri meds as the past and that's also thought to be unlikely.

From 20mg Prozac I tried up dosing to my original dose of 60mg and my eyes had issues

Zoloft 120mg and eyes had issues

And  luvox which I'm on at 43.75 and my eyes hurt.

I'm now going to try Lexapro.  The only thing I was thinking this week was maybe xanax was the culprit.  I have no way of knowing what's causing this issue presently . I'm just searching for answers

I would agree but .. I have also been on the same ssri meds as the past and that's also thought to be unlikely.

From 20mg Prozac I tried up dosing to my original dose of 60mg and my eyes had issues

Zoloft 120mg and eyes had issues

And  luvox which I'm on at 43.75 and my eyes hurt.

I'm now going to try Lexapro.  The only thing I was thinking this week was maybe xanax was the culprit.  I have no way of knowing what's causing this issue presently . I'm just searching for answers

Maybe your eye issues are unrelated to your meds.

Prozac at over 20mg causes eye issues  /// xanax usage was higher per day

Zoloft  at 120mg I had eye issues but at 100 the pain was not as bad.

Now luvox I have burning and when I go up on luvox it gets worse.

I was just thinking "maybe " a correlation existed between xanax and my eyes

My eyes currently burn and are sore. I have tried 3 different ssri's at very low dosages. All ssri's that gave me no issues in the past. The one constant is xanax I have fluctuated going up and down and now wonder if xanax could be causing my eye pain. Max I have went was. 750 but now stay at .5 doctors can't figure out what's causing the eye pain.

I wanted to try something for a few days to rule out xanax? It the one thing that's basically stayed the same .

I am the only person here who can use Google? :laugh:

REF;  http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/xanax/eye%20pain/

Summary

Eye pain is found among people who take Xanax, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Zometa, and have High blood pressure . We study 80,173 people who have side effects while taking Xanax from FDA. Among them, 462 have Eye pain. Find out below who they are, when they have Eye pain and more.

What to expect?

If you take Xanax and have Eye pain, find out what symptoms you could have in 1 year or longer.

You are not alone!

Join a support group for people who take Xanax and have Eye pain

I read that also.. but before I knew about benzo withdrawal I tried 3 days without xanax and still had eye pain.

I may take 6 months without xanax to stop the eye pain. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well my doc finally prescribed klonopin which he said last longer then. Xanax . Will I have an issue with changing from

5 xanax to .5 klonopin?

I assume this will help when I try tapering again?