Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I joined flat earth society

[lo...]

One other thing, you mention the big bang theory and evolution, when in discussion about this most people just think of the start being the big bang, what came before this?

The human mind is incapable of comprehending infinity so everything we think about has a start and an end, religion is in fact a way of allowing humans to not think about a start and end point and say "you just have to have faith"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Ca...]

• [be...]

• [al...]

• 4 weeks later...
I'd like to hear more about what people say about the flat earth theory.  Quantum mechanics says all the solid stuff we see and feel is really just energy, so is it really implausible to think that the earth really could be flat?  Maybe it's a mass belief that the earth is really round?  I think the earth is round, but you never know?

I'd like to hear more about what people say about the flat earth theory.  Quantum mechanics says all the solid stuff we see and feel is really just energy, so is it really implausible to think that the earth really could be flat?  Maybe it's a mass belief that the earth is really round?  I think the earth is round, but you never know?

If you were no longer around to perceive the Earth how do you know that it would even exist?

I know of a very intelligent teacher/pastor/christian who believes the earth is flat because it says so in the bible.  Some people believe the Holy Bible is the inerrant word of God and will believe it. 

I know of a very intelligent teacher/pastor/christian who believes the earth is flat because it says so in the bible.  Some people believe the Holy Bible is the inerrant word of God and will believe it.

The bible is full of some wild stories. Compared to them, a flat Earth is not too weird. Who needs science when a few semi-primitive men sitting around a campfire a couple thousand years ago figured it all out and wrote down in a book.

The bible always mentions the "four corners" of the earth.  Sounds like flat earth to me.  I guess they all thought it was flat back then.  So you would travel until you hit the shoreline and saw all the water and think, "How far does that water go?"  When did people start sailing around the earth?  Was that when they realized the earth wasn't flat? 

Holy crap! I thought that the Flat Earth Society was a joke or perhaps an organization with a sense of humor and a mission to make fun of those who do not believe in science. I googled them and found out that they seem to be real. I could not find a punch-line anywhere on their website that indicates that it is all a spoof.

I did have fun reading their FAQ section on the site. When asked about how one can circumnavigate a flat earth they simply answered that all that is happening is that one would be following a line around a flat disk, much like how a needle on an old record player tracks across a record. In their view the north pole sits in the middle of the disk and Antarctica actually forms a ring of ice around the edges of the flat disk-shaped earth (perhaps keeping the ocean from falling off into space). How does one circumnavigate along the other way following a north or southward direction? I'm still thinking that I fell for their joke.

aloha, I knew that was a serious organization.  That messes with my mind trying to imagine what you wrote about why the earth is flat.  When you grow up being taught the earth is round, that causes cognitive dissonance trying to imagine otherwise. 

I'd like to meet one these flat earthers and have a cup of coffee with them and listen to what they have to say.  I wonder what occupations these flat-earthers are in?  Docs and lawyers.  LOL. 

As with all things good n true, they must be accepted by the smartest people on earth....

Sooo... -I ran it by my 14yo...

Ummm... -it didnt seem to pass...!!!

But he does agree im on drugs... -progress...!

i have a guy down the street that believes in the flat earth theory. he even goes to the extreme of writing flat earth all over his windows and puts signs in his yard. all over.  the latest is he put a balloon outside and wrote a sign saying "one example" drawing a arrow pointing to the balloon. lol  :balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:  everyone has the right to their opinion, but i don't get it ??? whats the point?  is it a christian thing?  i live in texas lol.  i guess i just don't understand why he wants to prove it so bad. i mean you should see his damn yard. lol  I'm gonna start putting aliens all over my yard and signs saying beam me up.....i do wish for that. lol

i don't care what people believe in that regard. it is just interesting when you dig into it. take disappearing ships behind the horizon for example.

if you stand in a long hallway, and make a photo, both the floor and ceiling will line up to your eye level. floor will appear to rise, ceiling to lower. that is obviously perspective only. nobody disputes that.

now why do ships and objects 'disappear' when you stand on the beach, the answer is not due to curvature of the earth, it is because they pass the point at which the ocean merges with your eye level due to perspective. (youtube dr zack laser test for example)

now you can just say this is all BS and shut your reasoning.

it is all curiosity ....

I don't believe in Aliens/UFO's, because there is nothing about it in the bible - nothing wrong to explore the topic

here are 2 one of  the best youtube's i found about it; once you drop all your previous knowledge about ball earth and heliocentrism, and start researching it with an open mind - it's hard not to believe flat / stationary earth

LOL. I've read and seen many things on YouTube about it. Hmmmm...... I, myself believe the earth is spherical. But hey, it's your opinion and open mind, eh?

PS - I believe in UFO's for what it's worth! What sounds crazier? Flat earth or UFO?

There's also nothing in the Bible about Trump. :laugh:

The bible always mentions the "four corners" of the earth.  Sounds like flat earth to me.  I guess they all thought it was flat back then.  So you would travel until you hit the shoreline and saw all the water and think, "How far does that water go?"  When did people start sailing around the earth?  Was that when they realized the earth wasn't flat?

And God gathered all the men around. He said you will find women who are loving and obedient. The he turned around and made the world round." :laugh:

I ask again, how can you circumnavigate the earth in a polar direction if the earth is a round flat disk with the north pole in the center? Is there a Flat Earth Society explanation for that? Is this whole thing just a rebellion against reason?

aloha: I don't know for sure, there are things which there is proof (like horizon perspective close sun etc), and this proof is sufficient.

when it comes to 'go around the earth', I assume - that nobody really did that. people go from point A to B and that's it. the assumption that the earth must be round otherwise you can not go around it, is a logical fallacy, because the premise is simply wrong.

Lol, there's no gravity either. Everything is expanding and what we feel as gravity is just the earth expanding like the way it feels when you're on an elevator. The earth is the floor of a giant elevator. Einstein's theory of relativity says we wouldn't know the difference between "gravity" and acceleration. Any takers? :D :D :D

Gravity doesn't really work very well without a central mass to attract objects. I believe that is why our atmosphere is held in place more or less equally around our GLOBE. An atmosphere above a disk shaped earth would behave rather strangely. Hard to imagine an atmospheric border that is 2 sided. Probably would have detected that by now. Not every earthly entity is allied with NASA to deceive all earthlings.

I personally feel that it is important to push back against beliefs that contradict all scientific reasoning. To not do so is to accept ideas like global warming is not real and other potentially dangerous beliefs. Science may not always be right, but it is constantly improving and heading in the right direction. As we become more and more challenged by over-population it will become even more important to correctly understand how our universe works so that we can make better decisions to handle the problems that we will face.

at first when I heard flat earth - I thought to myself - those guys are a bunch of %^^%^^^%. but after spending time and researching, I am coming to the logical conclusion that;

- the earth is stationary and flat

- the sun and the moon are pretty close - couple thousand miles at best

- the moon does not reflect the sun, but works as an capacitor and shines its own light

- everything the nasa ever produced is a hoax (moonlanding, pictures of earth etc)

- everything the bible speaks about, can be confirmed in the real world

this is a great topic to study - especially going through benzo w/d

So who wants to test the theory? Just start walking in a straight line. Eventually either you will fall off or you won't  :laugh:

[c5...]

The president of the US just issued an executive order stating that the earth is flat. Anyone in disagreement will be deported by being pushed off the edge. Global warming is of course a hoax, since there is no globe to be warmed.

The president of the US just issued an executive order stating that the earth is flat. Anyone in disagreement will be deported by being pushed off the edge. Global warming is of course a hoax, since there is no globe to be warmed.

:oops: I have to go underground. :laugh: And strip all my clothes off. Too hot..right?