Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

No permanent damage (I'm living proof)

[Mi...]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mi...]

• [Be...]

• [sa...]

• [...]

I'm 55 and I keep getting worse by the day.  Some ppl. heal and some don't.  Benzo's cause dementia and I've got it now.  I'm not going to deny it.  Since I got off the pills almost 4 years ago, I haven't had an appetite and I've been shaking inside all that time.  I have extreme external stress in my life.  Too many things to mention.  I can't even talk anymore without stuttering and I walk with a limp now.  Anxiety is always through the roof.  Bad OCD and I can't stop it.  I was never like this before I took the benzo's or even when I was on them.

Well, if you're concerned about dementia you should have it checked by a doctor. If you do have dementia it's completely non-related to benzo's. The reason you felt better while using benzo's is beacause benzo's can help people with dementia relax more and promote/stimulate certain parts of the brain. In fact, it can help people with with alot of different neurological conditions. I'm certain benzo's don't cause dementia or anything of the sort. It's easy to blame the benzo's beacause we want to blame something for our issues in life, the fact is that some people simply get neurological issues, just like some people get cancer, it's mostly just hereditary. Most people with dementia get early symptomes in their late 40s early 50s, and that's exactly the same time you stopped taking benzo's, it's completely coincidental. I know people that have taken benzo's their entire life and are well into their 60s and 70s, and then quit. No damage or neurologcal issues. The symptoms you describe, like stuttering and walking with a limp is typical anxiety, some people develope idiopathic issues like not not walking correctly or stuttering after trauma, quitting benzo's is a REAL traumatic experience. And also, 4 years isn't enough for everyone to get completely recovered. Some need 5, 7 or even 10. I'm sure you'll heal, give it more time. And go see a doctor to get some tests done, and put you're mind to rest if you're worried. I wish you the best of luck!

time to heal 5,7or even 10  may be die before heal .so scary.every day,hour,miniute was so long.who can live like this crab for time like that.i think for long time like that may have someone can not reach to that point.may be .....age

Sadly to say, but if it takes me 3,5 or even 10 years to recover, then my life is ruined anyway.

It's a financial and personal disaster in many ways....impossible to recover from this tragedy !

Sadly to say, but if it takes me 3,5 or even 10 years to recover, then my life is ruined anyway.

It's a financial and personal disaster in many ways....impossible to recover from this tragedy !

Not impossible. Very difficult and challenging, but not impossible.

:thumbsup::smitten:

No no, not at all, you're life is far from ruined, I used to think the same, I had a business and a pro-sports career before the benzo crisis hit me. I though my life was over, for good. But thats far far far from the truth. I used the years of recovery to change my thinking and life-philosophy. Life is about more than money, i'm sure you're post-benzo life will be great  :)

Oh damn, I wish I hadn't clicked on this particular page of this thread.  :tickedoff:

Don't worry, the chances of having hereditary dementia is so small you're more likely to find a bag with a billion dollars on the buss.

It's the biggest challenge of you're life. But it also yields the greatest reward. An opportunity to chance you're life and become a better person.  :)

Thanks I needed what you have said.  Going through a rough patch.  Thanks again

Hey Cosmo. I'm glad I could help you buddy! The rough patches will get shorter and shorter, weaker and weaker. Don't worry, soon they will be gone for good!  :) When I had rough patches I used to write and read alot, it helped me. Try it out, might help you too.

Thanks a lot for this post and all of your positive replies to people - I really believe we on this board need as much "positivity" (if that's a word) as possible!  thanks again!

Milky Way.  THANK YOU!  I am 10 months out and having a tough time with my memory.  I try to give myself a daily pep talk that things will be ok.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  You have helped me out immensely.  Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

benzos do NOT cause dementia. that is patently false. I apologize if I sound

harsh. it is not intended. but what you said is simply completely false.

while we're on the topic, why are so many doctors so spooked about benzos here of late?

anybody? are the Docs all looking at the internet too much. my doctor has me on a rapid

taper off of klonopin which I never wanted in the first place. 

he is adamant. I am scared to death. some people cannot function without the benzos

There are tons of research studies done showing an association between benzo's and dementia.  I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that it's not possible.  I know what happened to me and I'm not stupid, so don't say that I am.  When I got off the pills, my mental state started to rapidly decline.  I'll say they caused my dementia.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

while we're on the topic, why are so many doctors so spooked about benzos here of late?

anybody? are the Docs all looking at the internet too much. my doctor has me on a rapid

he is adamant. I am scared to death. some people cannot function without the benzos

5+ yrs ago,  new NP c/t me off yrs and yrs of benzos......

Oh, they know something.

Thank G-d doctors are finally spooked out about benzos. I don't know any like that. My doc told me I can take it safely for life. Well. They ruined my life for the last 3 years, and counting.

Oh, they know something.

they know something. for example? what is it they know? I assume you mean the doctors.

I am getting the vibe there are many on the site who are pro tapering, or pro "kick the benzos"

something of a disappointment. they worked well for me, before my doc started tapering me off WAY way too fast. I don't get it. why are benzos thought of as such bugaboos?

Benzosbehelpful, thank G-d you don't understand why. If you would've stayed on them a bit longer they could have ruined your life. Thank G-d a million times you don't understand. Most of us here do, and that's why we're telling you, get off those benzos as soon as you can, before your life becomes hell. The fact that I am alive right now is a sheer miracle. There have been some who have taken benzos as prescribed and suffered so much, they took their own lives.

Oh, they know something.

they know something. for example? what is it they know? I assume you mean the doctors.

I am getting the vibe there are many on the site who are pro tapering, or pro "kick the benzos"

something of a disappointment. they worked well for me, before my doc started tapering me off WAY way too fast. I don't get it. why are benzos thought of as such bugaboos?

I think they know how disabling and dangerous they can be

Where I went, she didn't seem to understand tapering or the need to

It was a brutal c,/t

One of the biggest topics when it comes to benzo usage is permanent damage to the brain. Well, I can tell you right now there is no such thing as permanent damage when it comes to benzo usage. If you do a quick google search you'll find thousands of scary articles stating that benzo's might cause permanent damage. Well, there is no scientific proof for any of those claims. There is alot of anecdotal "evidence" and alot of if, maybe, might, possibly. Everyone thinks they are an expert on the field and there are alot of hobby-doctors out there. Stringing together alot big scientific words they found somewhere on wikipedia. It's all bullshit, don't listen to that nonsense. I convinced myself i was "damaged" beacause i read all those articles and forum posts. I though i must be damaged, this is taking so long. Well, yes, it took a long time, our body has been battered and beaten. Like being run over by a truck. So it's going to take a long time, no matter who you are or how you taper.

I used and abused benzo's in all kinds of ways, for a decade.

I mixed them with ALOT of alcohol.

I mixed different benzo's together.

I used WAY WAY too much at one time

I mixed them with other types of pills

AND I tapered the wrong way.

So I should be REALLY brain damaged right? No. The fact is this, the body heals. It might feel like an eternity at times but it WILL happen. I'm not special, i'm not a superhero with healing abilities, i'm just a normal human. So if I healed so will you. That's the only proof you need, the only proof that matters. Yes there are some very rare cased where someone experienced a really powerfull seizure and ended up in a coma. But that is so rare, you're more likely to find a suitcase with a billion dollars.

That being said, there is one type of damage that does happen, psychological damage. Not in everyone, but in most. In my case I was really depressed and broken down while tapering and during my recovery. And ever after, it took me a long time to recover and get back on my feet. This is the real challenge, facing reality again. Benzo's distance us so much from reality, we're left in a haze. And when we come out of it, the entire world is on our shoulders. This is a tough ordeal, as we all know. But you'll be fine, trust me. And in the end, even stronger than before!.  :)

How long have you been benzo-free for?

How long did it take you to be able to say that you're healed?

Milkyway, there are many people who say they've never gone back to who they were before, and I don't mean only psychologically. So you're from the lucky people. I don't think there is research or proof either way.