Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

What things do u do for pleasure?

[Da...]

I forgot to add to my list my all time favorite pleasure in the world! BASEBALL!! Love it!! Go Twins!! Too bad they're doing so s****y this year  :'(  I love them good or bad, though...can't wait until next season  ::)

Go Yankees! Soon to be Go Indians!

Are you moving, Bets?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [Da...]

• [Ce...]

• [Ma...]

I forgot to add to my list my all time favorite pleasure in the world! BASEBALL!! Love it!! Go Twins!! Too bad they're doing so s****y this year  :'(  I love them good or bad, though...can't wait until next season  ::)

Are you moving, Bets?

Yes. soon. I mentioned it on chewing a while ago. Nobody cared, but Liberty, as I have been trying to help him. What else is new? :o::)

Are you moving, Bets?

Yes. soon. I mentioned it on chewing a while ago. Nobody cared, but Liberty, as I have been trying to help him. What else is new? :o::)

Ohio...I have a niece that just moved there from AZ.  Sorry, I don't care what you say...GO TWINS!!!  :D

The Twins are from Minn. Ohio has the Indians. That thread has been moved to Off Topic............

Are you moving, Bets?

Ohio...I have a niece that just moved there from AZ.  Sorry, I don't care what you say...GO TWINS!!!  :D

I've been thinking about this pleasure/joy issue during benzo wd--what it's like and how to cope with it and I think I have a way of explaining it: I lived all of my life until my later 20s on the east coast of the US where there are a bunch of trees. Fall in the east is a riotous explosion of yellows, organges and reds with spring is its own commotion of a million shades of green and more colors of flowers than there are words for.

After I moved out west when fall came that first year I couldn't notice any change. The locals were talking about the shift in colors but from my perspective they were simply hallucinating. Same with spring. Didn't really see anything until it was full summer and even then it was subtle. Disappointing.

But I learned to look for these things--for the subtle shift in shading in the fall, a difference in smells that somehow connected it all. In the spring I actively looked for the faintest splash of green on the tips of a few trees, the renewed songs of birds and learned to celebrate the lone wildflower poking its head through a patch of snow. All of these things became beautiful to me--deep, rich and meaningful but only because I chose to look for them and delight in the smallest changes. When I moved back east the colors almost seemed garish but still beautiful. Even in the desert there are waving cactuses and occasional hints of color from a hardy wildflower or plant.

Our pre wd life is spring and fall in the east. Wd is part winter part sping/fall in the west. We have to train and hone our senses to notice even the smallest bits of pleasure and joy. Then blow on these, nurture them, the way we blow on and feed a spark to build a fire. In time it catches. Just like in wd how with time the colors become more vivid, the pleasure more pleasurable and the joy more joyous. I still have a lot of symptoms but I can laugh and have my eyes/throat/chest well up when something touches me. For all of my time going up and down on meds, my taper, and the first few months after my jump I couldn't feel these things but I sought them out by exposing myself to funny and poignant material and experiences. I think we're having to retrain our minds to notice and feel these things again. The payoff is that we will likely feel them more deeply for the rest of our lives and certainly more than if we'd stayed deadened by benzos. The journey is worth it.

Hi Mtfan, I love the changing seasons too. My favorite is spring-summer and I love Winter-Spring, and also summer-fall but I like that the least (fall leads to winter). I don't like winter but I know what you mean because I used to live in Florida so I have that too.

Great response

I've been thinking about this pleasure/joy issue during benzo wd--what it's like and how to cope with it and I think I have a way of explaining it: I lived all of my life until my later 20s on the east coast of the US where there are a bunch of trees. Fall in the east is a riotous explosion of yellows, organges and reds with spring is its own commotion of a million shades of green and more colors of flowers than there are words for.

After I moved out west when fall came that first year I couldn't notice any change. The locals were talking about the shift in colors but from my perspective they were simply hallucinating. Same with spring. Didn't really see anything until it was full summer and even then it was subtle. Disappointing.

But I learned to look for these things--for the subtle shift in shading in the fall, a difference in smells that somehow connected it all. In the spring I actively looked for the faintest splash of green on the tips of a few trees, the renewed songs of birds and learned to celebrate the lone wildflower poking its head through a patch of snow. All of these things became beautiful to me--deep, rich and meaningful but only because I chose to look for them and delight in the smallest changes. When I moved back east the colors almost seemed garish but still beautiful. Even in the desert there are waving cactuses and occasional hints of color from a hardy wildflower or plant.

Our pre wd life is spring and fall in the east. Wd is part winter part sping/fall in the west. We have to train and hone our senses to notice even the smallest bits of pleasure and joy. Then blow on these, nurture them, the way we blow on and feed a spark to build a fire. In time it catches. Just like in wd how with time the colors become more vivid, the pleasure more pleasurable and the joy more joyous. I still have a lot of symptoms but I can laugh and have my eyes/throat/chest well up when something touches me. For all of my time going up and down on meds, my taper, and the first few months after my jump I couldn't feel these things but I sought them out by exposing myself to funny and poignant material and experiences. I think we're having to retrain our minds to notice and feel these things again. The payoff is that we will likely feel them more deeply for the rest of our lives and certainly more than if we'd stayed deadened by benzos. The journey is worth it.

Beautifully said MTfan! Great analogy on seasons and w/d comparison. Wow! Thank you.  ~CeCe

I used to really enjoy reading so I am going back to that a lot when I can get the chance and dont get distracted. I also instead of wanting to indulge in a drink or something else when I get the urge go for a 20min run and that normally kills the urge.

I enjoy spending time with my grandson.  I watch him four days during the week, 9 hours a day.  He's 3 years old, so he really keeps me hopping. I love every minute of it.

I enjoy watching my old sitcom reruns in the evening, right before trying to go to sleep.  Everybody Loves, Raymond, Golden Girls, I Love Lucy, and others.  For some reason I find relaxation and comfort in it.

Like going to a movie in the theater occasionally....love the popcorn.

Like going to parks and things outside, during the warmer months of the year.

Traveling to Disney World once a year.

Shopping and having lunch with my daughter.

Massages along with cupping.  Really helps my sore, tight muscles.

Mostly just plain and simple activities.  Nothing fancy.

Nice post, MT. I have to leave my beloved NE to the mid west, where fall is no big deal, except for Halloween.

Betsy

Why the change? Do you mean northeast or Nebraska? It's an adjustment for sure.

Nice post, MT. I have to leave my beloved NE to the mid west, where fall is no big deal, except for Halloween.

Betsy

Because I lived in Ohio for 17 years and moved every single moment there. Nebraska? Oh no. that's for hunters. CONNECTICUT, THE TAX-ME STATE. I won't miss paying such high taxes here. I'm leaving on Oct. 1. Will be off line for a month or two as I have to buy a place and then get my internet. Hold the fort down for me. ;) ;)

Betsy

Because I lived in Ohio for 17 years and moved every single moment there. Nebraska? Oh no. that's for hunters. CONNECTICUT, THE TAX-ME STATE. I won't miss paying such high taxes here. I'm leaving on Oct. 1. Will be off line for a month or two as I have to buy a place and then get my internet. Hold the fort down for me. ;) ;)

The fort will still be here!

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Massages, hot baths, chocolate, and my cats. I also developed a heron addiction while on my daily walks. HERON, not heroin! Specifically, the Yellow-Crowned Night Herons. They hang out at the creek. Gray long necks with black and white heads and a crown of yellow feathers on top. For some reason I just got fascinated by them. I'd spot one and I could actually feel my brain lighting up like I just consumed some drug. Then I'd stare at them and watch them hunt crawfish for a while, then continue on my walk and have warm fuzzy feelings for the next few hours. Sometimes I'd feel compelled to take a break from my telecommuting job and get down to the creek for another bird fix.

Then last month they migrated and I got all depressed. Stupid birds. I think I got a new bird now though, there's a beautiful great white egret that just starting hanging around a lot this past week. I hope he sticks around until next spring when the herons come back.

Massages, hot baths, chocolate, and my cats. I also developed a heron addiction while on my daily walks. HERON, not heroin! Specifically, the Yellow-Crowned Night Herons. They hang out at the creek. Gray long necks with black and white heads and a crown of yellow feathers on top. For some reason I just got fascinated by them. I'd spot one and I could actually feel my brain lighting up like I just consumed some drug. Then I'd stare at them and watch them hunt crawfish for a while, then continue on my walk and have warm fuzzy feelings for the next few hours. Sometimes I'd feel compelled to take a break from my telecommuting job and get down to the creek for another bird fix.

Then last month they migrated and I got all depressed. Stupid birds. I think I got a new bird now though, there's a beautiful great white egret that just starting hanging around a lot this past week. I hope he sticks around until next spring when the herons come back.

:2funny:  You sure got me on this one GJ! I had to reread that first line a couple times before I got past it. If you're going to become addicted to anything....I think herons or anything having to do with nature would be the way to go. Can't get enough of a good, harmless, and back-to-nature thing. Good for you!

I like getting a manicure. I purposely go to a place a town away. I like it because I can zone out there because they don't talk to you--just do your nails. I won't see anyone there I know and have to have a conversation. There's hardly any other customers and they play classical music in the background. A bonus is they massage my hands and arms and when my nails are under the dryer they give me a back and shoulder massage.

When I feel decent I go the gym and workout. I sometimes bring a friend along. It's always been a great stress reliever to me.

Becky  :smitten:

• 1 year later...
Professional artistic photography, “painting” in Adobe LR, reading (self-help, psychology & philosophy), listening to audiobooks while decluttering, cuddling Kitty plus her beauty rituals, enjoying nature, shopping for beautiful items, learning new words in a foreign language.

[a1...]

...I also developed a heron addiction while on my daily walks. HERON, not heroin! ...

That's pretty funny.

I also sometimes see a heron in the fens near my house (that's "fens" not "fentanyl"!).

Professional artistic photography, “painting” in Adobe LR, reading (self-help, psychology & philosophy), listening to audiobooks while decluttering, cuddling Kitty plus her beauty rituals, enjoying nature, shopping for beautiful items, learning new words in a foreign language.

I like learning foreign languages too, it's exciting, and I think it's a good exercise for the brain, I really enjoy it.  I also enjoy foreign travel, my last trip before withdrawal was from US to Ecuador, visited for a month, polished my Spanish a lot, didn't want to comeback.  ;)

I like to show goldens at AKC trials. I also like to judge there. But the most important thing in my life is: CHOCOLATE! Not dog food. :laugh: