Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

I have been on this forum since 2012 and just now ran onto this blog. So glad I did. How refreshing to read some good post on tapering. I follow some Facebook groups too and many are very discouraging to read. I always look to see what a persons history is, their signature but that’s hard to do with Facebook groups. Many things can come in to play when withdrawing from these drugs, c/ t, cutting too much too fast, other meds. Anyway happy to find this blog.

Jackie  :smitten: :smitten:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Totally agree Jackie!  :) I think that's why many of us (unnecessarily) become overly worried. I think very early in this thread (perhaps page 2 or 3) someone who was experiencing a very easy taper pointed out the same thing. Thanks for highlighting this  :)

Harmonee

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Horizon - very inspired by your posts.

Today, after 2 or 3 crap days...is a, dare I say it...window of sorts. Feel almost 80% myself. I guess the hold at 3mg helped and hopefully I am stable on this until I switch to liquid V for a daily micro-taper. It's nice to feel somewhat normal during this taper - reminds me of what life will be like down the road.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday!

Thank you!  I am glad my posts are helping.  I didn't want to come of as sounding self absorbed.  I just want to post as I knew that seeing others posts, those who were getting through this was very important to me as I went through the process. 

Glad to see that you are starting to stabilize.  I would recommend waiting at least a week once you switch over to liquid to allow your body to adjust.  I had a few people tell me there was no need for that but when I first switched I did feel a need to hold.  Nothing major, but taking benzo via liquid did feel a bit different for me at least.

Horizon, how are you doing today? :smitten:

Doing pretty good thanks for asking.  Slept better last night (7 hrs).  Had a little bit of anxiety this morning but nothing major.  I didn't need to take anything though for it though, it kind of lifted around 9:30 on its own and I have felt pretty much normal since that.  How's by you?

Doing well, on my 30 day hold that is up on Feb 25th, then back to 10 taper...rinse and repeat. Doing well post sinus infection, sleeping a bit more at night, and dreams, which I had missed.  :smitten:

I have been on this forum since 2012 and just now ran onto this blog. So glad I did. How refreshing to read some good post on tapering. I follow some Facebook groups too and many are very discouraging to read. I always look to see what a persons history is, their signature but that’s hard to do with Facebook groups. Many things can come in to play when withdrawing from these drugs, c/ t, cutting too much too fast, other meds. Anyway happy to find this blog.

Hi, Jackie. Glad you found us. You make a very good point. Look at signatures! It helps to keep things in perspective. :thumbsup:

Hi Gardie, I agree, I think that if there is no siggy the poster loses out...I hesitate to post if I do not know what they are taking and such...I think it needs to be done before newbies can start posting. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Saw my GP today, found out he’s totally onboard with a slow taper and even suggested holding few weeks to months if needed.  So I should have a solid supply of lorazepam for as long as needed.  So this is all good news, I think he has some benzo smarts and experience.

I switched my liquid density Saturday to prepare for a smaller/slower taper rate.  That and some movement in dosing times seems to have triggered a little instability and symptoms.  So sensitive to this stuff right now!  I’m planning to hold stable again for awhile and get more stable so I can hopefully return to work soon.

Take care everyone!

Hi, Jackie. Glad you found us. You make a very good point. Look at signatures! It helps to keep things in perspective. :thumbsup:

Hi Gardie, I agree, I think that if there is no siggy the poster loses out...I hesitate to post if I do not know what they are taking and such...I think it needs to be done before newbies can start posting. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Great idea! :thumbsup:

Saw my GP today, found out he’s totally onboard with a slow taper and even suggested holding few weeks to months if needed.  So I should have a solid supply of lorazepam for as long as needed.  So this is all good news, I think he has some benzo smarts and experience.

I switched my liquid density Saturday to prepare for a smaller/slower taper rate.  That and some movement in dosing times seems to have triggered a little instability and symptoms.  So sensitive to this stuff right now!  I’m planning to hold stable again for awhile and get more stable so I can hopefully return to work soon.

Take care everyone!

That's very good news. I have a doctor in no hurry, too. Quite a good thing!  :thumbsup:

Speaking of easy tapers...

I started on February 1st  from 15mg Valium reducing at .03mg per day.

Day 1: 14.97mg

Day 2: 14.94mg

Day 3: 14.91mg

Day 4: 14.88mg

This has been EASY. I don’t think my body has detected any difference yet. However, who knows what’s in store as I get down in dose. I hope it stays easy.

Hi all,

Got directed to this Support Group after starting a thread in another forum about my upcoming planned taper from Valium. I won’t be starting it for at least a few weeks as I’m currently tapering off an antidepressant (with the intention of trialling a different one).

So, my history - in mid January I completed a fairly rapid crossover from 1mg/3 times daily of Lorazepam to 5mg/3 times daily of Valium. The Ashton Manual recommended twice that amount of Valium as the equivalent but I found it too fatiguing on my first crossovers. Anyway, the crossover went reasonably well I think.

In the interests of continuing advice from the Ashton Manual, I had thought I would try tapering 1mg Valium every 1-2 weeks. However, I’ve read so much here about tapering by 10% of each dose. Now I’m paranoid if I try the 1mg every 1-2 weeks it won’t go well!

Really looking for some people who have had success with sticking to the Ashton method rather than the 10% method. Anyone?

If it means anything, I am on additional meds (listed in my signature) which may or may not have bearings on my Valium taper.

Hi all,

Got directed to this Support Group after starting a thread in another forum about my upcoming planned taper from Valium. I won’t be starting it for at least a few weeks as I’m currently tapering off an antidepressant (with the intention of trialling a different one).

So, my history - in mid January I completed a fairly rapid crossover from 1mg/3 times daily of Lorazepam to 5mg/3 times daily of Valium. The Ashton Manual recommended twice that amount of Valium as the equivalent but I found it too fatiguing on my first crossovers. Anyway, the crossover went reasonably well I think.

In the interests of continuing advice from the Ashton Manual, I had thought I would try tapering 1mg Valium every 1-2 weeks. However, I’ve read so much here about tapering by 10% of each dose. Now I’m paranoid if I try the 1mg every 1-2 weeks it won’t go well!

Really looking for some people who have had success with sticking to the Ashton method rather than the 10% method. Anyone?

If it means anything, I am on additional meds (listed in my signature) which may or may not have bearings on my Valium taper.

Hi TheatreGirl -

I went from 10mg to 3mg very fast, following Ashton. Then when I got to 3mg it got much harder and I am holding here until I do a daily liquid micro-taper until I get to 0. I think that it's important to listen to your s/x and proceed with careful caution. Most people here can not handle the speed of Ashton, especially as they get lower. My advice would be to do a daily micro taper (check out the Titration board for info - lots of great people on there who will help) and cut 10% of your last dose every 2 weeks. Slower means a smoother taper and you are healing as you taper so why rush it and suffer? Also IMO, a slower, smoother taper means that once you step off, it will be easier rather than "jumping off" into a sea of s/x. You will do this but don't rush the process as it could really make things worse.

Stay strong! You will heal!

Hi all,

Hi TheatreGirl -

I went from 10mg to 3mg very fast, following Ashton. Then when I got to 3mg it got much harder and I am holding here until I do a daily liquid micro-taper until I get to 0. I think that it's important to listen to your s/x and proceed with careful caution. Most people here can not handle the speed of Ashton, especially as they get lower. My advice would be to do a daily micro taper (check out the Titration board for info - lots of great people on there who will help) and cut 10% of your last dose every 2 weeks. Slower means a smoother taper and you are healing as you taper so why rush it and suffer? Also IMO, a slower, smoother taper means that once you step off, it will be easier rather than "jumping off" into a sea of s/x. You will do this but don't rush the process as it could really make things worse.

Stay strong! You will heal!

What more could I possibly add..??!!

-Just welcome TheatreGirl... :)

-and anyone I might have missed.. Sorry..

And a quick HI to all..

:)

Hi TheatreGal,

I pretty much went down the Ashton model. Like you, I found Ashton's Valium equivalency was a little high for me, so tapered at 16:1,. Pobably could have gone lower, but didn't want to risk it. I was only on Xanax, no other meds and I have noted from other buddies that can make a difference. Everyone is different though and you seemed to have crossed over to a much reduced dose without issue.

My taper has been very smooth, I've been very fortunate. Not everyone experiences a bad taper, in fact the majority don't according to the likes of Prof. Ashton. Still it is wise to treat these drugs with the contempt they deserve. My aim from the get-go was not to 'upset' my system by pushing past what felt comfortable.

Best of luck  :thumbsup:

Harmonee

"Welcome TheatreGal," My ENT Doctor followed the Ashton taper plan...and it was much too fast for me, I was able to get down twice to 0, but the shock to my system caused me to have stroke like sx, and was advised to avert a stroke to go back on...I did twice...and was OK, but still I wanted off...so I devised my own taper plan and this third time has been easy compared to the other two horrific tapers. I learned that we all must find what is best for us, if one is sick all the time...go back to the drawing board and try again. Best to you on your Journey. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thank you so much to all of you for the advice and information regarding your experiences. I did some research into whether liquid Valium is available here in Australia as I wasn’t sure, and it seems that it is, so a liquid micro taper will probably be what I aim for. I might try and drop down from the 15mg initially just using tablets to see how I go, but I am keen to minimise side effects (obviously, aren’t we all!) as much as possible.

I’m probably feeling extra cautious after being hospitalised for my anxiety in November last year where for reasons still unknown to me, the doctors stopped me cold turkey from Paroxetine (which I’d been on for 17 years) and sent my body into Antidepressant Discontinuation Syndrome. Not fun! Having said that, some of the things I’ve read online about tapering off benzodiazepines sounds so much worse! And I definitely don’t want to end up in a situation where I find myself back in hospital. Juuust a little bit of PTSD associated with hospitals now.  :'(

So thank you again for all the advice. I’ll be sure to pop back in once I start the journey.

Speaking of easy tapers...

I started on February 1st  from 15mg Valium reducing at .03mg per day.

Day 1: 14.97mg

Day 2: 14.94mg

Day 3: 14.91mg

Day 4: 14.88mg

This has been EASY. I don’t think my body has detected any difference yet. However, who knows what’s in store as I get down in dose. I hope it stays easy.

Just take one day at a time, and as Harmonee said, not everyone has a hard taper, she had some very wise words you should read too. Best to you.💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thank you so much to all of you for the advice and information regarding your experiences. I did some research into whether liquid Valium is available here in Australia as I wasn’t sure, and it seems that it is, so a liquid micro taper will probably be what I aim for. I might try and drop down from the 15mg initially just using tablets to see how I go, but I am keen to minimise side effects (obviously, aren’t we all!) as much as possible.

I’m probably feeling extra cautious after being hospitalised for my anxiety in November last year where for reasons still unknown to me, the doctors stopped me cold turkey from Paroxetine (which I’d been on for 17 years) and sent my body into Antidepressant Discontinuation Syndrome. Not fun! Having said that, some of the things I’ve read online about tapering off benzodiazepines sounds so much worse! And I definitely don’t want to end up in a situation where I find myself back in hospital. Juuust a little bit of PTSD associated with hospitals now.  :'(

So thank you again for all the advice. I’ll be sure to pop back in once I start the journey.

You're being very sensible, theatergal. Be cautious. Gather information. Listen to your body, not charts. Go as slowly as you need to to keep symptoms low, and you will be fine. :thumbsup:

Gardie :smitten:

I’m SO looking forward to taking a break once this mg is out (.03 to go, which is in 3 days(.  In a bit of a wave- hoping to stabilize once I take a little break. Holding for a short time usually helps me in between mgs.  :smitten:

I’m SO looking forward to taking a break once this mg is out (.03 to go, which is in 3 days(.  In a bit of a wave- hoping to stabilize once I take a little break. Holding for a short time usually helps me in between mgs.  :smitten:

Me, too! :thumbsup:

Just wanted to post something optimistic on this thread - even after a bad night with 2 hours of sleep (usually I get...5 hours...which I am grateful for).

I don't think my taper is "easy" but I do feel it is easier when I read how badly some people suffer (and my heart goes out to them).

Things that make my taper seem easier:

I am not bed-bound or housebound. I go out and walk around. I work (freelance now but still work every day). I do yoga when I have the energy and don't feel off-balanced. I walk a lot. I cook healthy food for myself.

My stomach is fine. No benzo belly or weird issues.

My biggest s/x are anxiety (especially in the morning), uneven sleep and waking up every day at 5am no matter what, a sense of depression that comes and goes, brain fog (also comes and goes) and a general "why me?" sadness when I spend too much time thinking about benzos. I try and avoid the horror stories but also support people on the board as much as possible - especially new people who want to taper fast. I campaign for a slow steady daily micro-taper as those people seem to suffer the least and be able to step off and be OK.

...I do live life when I taper. I watch TV and movies, I read, I interact in the real world and try and always see and imagine the light at the end of this tunnel.

I feel very lucky. And I try and manifest this positive outlook into the future and don't get panicked like I used to about stepping off and having a horrible time. I think a slow taper where you are functioning means that stepping off will not be painful. I am so thankful I did not have to cold turkey or do a rapid taper. We are blessed that we had the information to taper slow and steady and survive and one day we will all be benzo-free.

Sending LOVE and HEALING to all.

Soberhope, well said, things can always be worse when tapering benzo's you have a good attitude. Yes going slower and not decreasing too much will help us as we go down. On the way we will have some stumbling blocks, but we will accept them and move on...slowly, things will get wonky...but once your Brain can catch up to the cuts...it will get better...my hx is that things come and go, pretty much the same things...making me think that when it does...some deep healing is going on...and it takes time, so I just deal with it. I am hoping when my time to walk off will not be too bad, I do know that I will have some type of aftereffects...but I will deal with them...as I have dealt with everything on my way down. Stay Strong and you give very good advice to Buddies, keep up the good work, distraction is the best thing you can do. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Soberhope, well said, things can always be worse when tapering benzo's you have a good attitude. Yes going slower and not decreasing too much will help us as we go down. On the way we will have some stumbling blocks, but we will accept them and move on...slowly, things will get wonky...but once your Brain can catch up to the cuts...it will get better...my hx is that things come and go, pretty much the same things...making me think that when it does...some deep healing is going on...and it takes time, so I just deal with it. I am hoping when my time to walk off will not be too bad, I do know that I will have some type of aftereffects...but I will deal with them...as I have dealt with everything on my way down. Stay Strong and you give very good advice to Buddies, keep up the good work, distraction is the best thing you can do. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thanks BeGood - I always like your posts. It's funny how you get to know the person behind the screen name (my name is Pete btw) and feel like they are your friend and on your team.

I love the word "wonky" - always have. Its very British in the best way.

We will ALL heal and going slow and steady is the way to heal best I think. I try and tell that to everyone I can. And agreed that s/x are a sign that we are healing - as are windows - they show us that our body is actually healing and what is in our future.

Sending you LOVE and HEALING always!!

:smitten:

Just wanted to post something optimistic on this thread - even after a bad night with 2 hours of sleep (usually I get...5 hours...which I am grateful for).

I don't think my taper is "easy" but I do feel it is easier when I read how badly some people suffer (and my heart goes out to them).

Things that make my taper seem easier:

I am not bed-bound or housebound. I go out and walk around. I work (freelance now but still work every day). I do yoga when I have the energy and don't feel off-balanced. I walk a lot. I cook healthy food for myself.

My stomach is fine. No benzo belly or weird issues.

My biggest s/x are anxiety (especially in the morning), uneven sleep and waking up every day at 5am no matter what, a sense of depression that comes and goes, brain fog (also comes and goes) and a general "why me?" sadness when I spend too much time thinking about benzos. I try and avoid the horror stories but also support people on the board as much as possible - especially new people who want to taper fast. I campaign for a slow steady daily micro-taper as those people seem to suffer the least and be able to step off and be OK.

...I do live life when I taper. I watch TV and movies, I read, I interact in the real world and try and always see and imagine the light at the end of this tunnel.

I feel very lucky. And I try and manifest this positive outlook into the future and don't get panicked like I used to about stepping off and having a horrible time. I think a slow taper where you are functioning means that stepping off will not be painful. I am so thankful I did not have to cold turkey or do a rapid taper. We are blessed that we had the information to taper slow and steady and survive and one day we will all be benzo-free.

Well that is a very good post.

Thanks BeGood - I always like your posts. It's funny how you get to know the person behind the screen name (my name is Pete btw) and feel like they are your friend and on your team.

I love the word "wonky" - always have. Its very British in the best way.

We will ALL heal and going slow and steady is the way to heal best I think. I try and tell that to everyone I can. And agreed that s/x are a sign that we are healing - as are windows - they show us that our body is actually healing and what is in our future.

Sending you LOVE and HEALING always!!

:smitten:

:smitten::thumbsup:  :smitten:

I think a slow taper where you are functioning means that stepping off will not be painful.

Yes, I believe that 100%, and that seems to be bearing out here.  I believe that once you start your liquid taper things will go very smoothly for you.

That is great to hear Horizon - inspiring to hear that you had a smooth taper doing DLMT. I am hoping the same for myself. And hoping NYC has liquid Valium but if not I will just be a scientist and make my own solution.

How are you now post-jump?

Congratulations!

Doing pretty good here, can't complain at all.  I have had a little bit of anxiety off an on but nothing unmanageable at all.  Still working, exercising and able to carry on all my other "life stuff" without issue. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Fa...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [Ti...]
    • [Av...]
    • [de...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [Os...]
    • [Lo...]