Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like a nice group to be a part of. I’m not having a horrendous time it’s been reasonable. Exercise seems to make a difference for me. And I find that I need a lot of patience because the process isn’t as fast as I’d hoped. I was going at a nice clip then I’ve been feeling extremely fatigued the last few weeks and need to function to care for my children and work. So I think I’ll be holding at least a few weeks and see how I feel then. I keep telling myself it’s not a race.

I completely agree Horizon, never cared much for doctors but this completely changes my outlook going forward. Wishing much healing to everyone.

Same here, mountain. Accepting that this is going to take a long time has been the key to getting through this. You're being very sensible. :)

I initially thought I would be done in 6 months!  :2funny:

I know Garden, I don’t know what I initially thought but I definitely didn’t think two years. Ha I’m doing some thinking and I’ll most likely end in the spring weather I’m holding or walking off because I plan to do some traveling over the summer and don’t want to be tapering then. There is a whole life to live and I won’t be missing it. I want this poison out of me but also have put a lot on hold for too long.

I have decided to hop off a few days early.  I was schedule to step off Sunday but took my last dose this morning instead.  I heard from others that the dose at which I was (.02 mg) Ativan was not enough to be physiologically active, so there really wasn't much reason to continue on taking it.  I had felt an uptick in anxiety over the past few days which I suspected was not withdrawal but anxiety over taking my last dose.  After I decided to make my dose this morning my last, that anxiety lifted.  ;D.  It turns out that I had probably actually walked off a few days ago and didn't really know it.  I am feeling very good so far, hopefully that will continue.....the psychological lift from taking your last dose is gratifying.  :thumbsup:

I have decided to hop off a few days early.  I was schedule to step off Sunday but took my last dose this morning instead.  I heard from others that the dose at which I was (.02 mg) Ativan was not enough to be physiologically active, so there really wasn't much reason to continue on taking it.  I had felt an uptick in anxiety over the past few days which I suspected was not withdrawal but anxiety over taking my last dose.  After I decided to make my dose this morning my last, that anxiety lifted.  ;D.  It turns out that I had probably actually walked off a few days ago and didn't really know it.  I am feeling very good so far, hopefully that will continue.....the psychological lift from taking your last dose is gratifying.  :thumbsup:

"Congratulations"." Great job of tapering, stay positive and enjoy your New Journey of wellness. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

"Congratulations"." Great job of tapering, stay positive and enjoy your New Journey of wellness. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

Thank you!  :)

That’s great Horizon! So happy for you and encouraging to see. I hope my step off is as graceful.  :smitten:

That’s great Horizon! So happy for you and encouraging to see. I hope my step off is as graceful.  :smitten:

Thank you!  I always liked to see some positivity and stories from people who had completed their tapers when I was tapering so I figured I would post my experience.  I see that you are close as well.....hang in there and keep truckin', freedom is just around the corner.

Congratulations Horizon  :clap:

I am so glad you posted. Iv'e been a little anxious myself and I'm sure it is psychological. I'm pretty close to 'hopping off' myself soon. Travelling to Europe in April and it will be great to go benzo free.

So far I don't think I've had any sx, even after 22 years on Xanax. I have some tinnitus but I had it long before I heard the word benzodiazepine.

Anyway, all the best. You're free to live life to the fullest now  :thumbsup:

Harmonee

Congratulations, Horizon!  :thumbsup:

Harmonee, how exciting to travel in Europe!

It's incredible how long this all takes. I had to move my "finish line" a few times too; it's discouraging but we do what we have to. Love reading about folks who are doing relatively well through it all.

Gwinna

Congratulations Horizon  :clap:

I am so glad you posted. Iv'e been a little anxious myself and I'm sure it is psychological. I'm pretty close to 'hopping off' myself soon. Travelling to Europe in April and it will be great to go benzo free.

So far I don't think I've had any sx, even after 22 years on Xanax. I have some tinnitus but I had it long before I heard the word benzodiazepine.

Anyway, all the best. You're free to live life to the fullest now  :thumbsup:

Harmonee

The fact that you have not had sx on your taper I think bodes well for a sx free "hopp off".  I was fully expecting something bad to happen to me, but it didn't and when I realized that it probably isn't going to I felt much better.  I guess I had to give myself permission to accept a good outcome.  Best of luck with the rest of your taper and enjoy that European vacation Benzo free!

Hi everyone -

I read this thread everyday as I consider my taper to be much easier than so many which I am very thankful for.

I tapered a bit too fast at the start, going from 10mg of V in October to 4 by January. I got down to 2.5 but had to updose to 3mg as the cut was too drastic. I have been at 3mg now for almost 2 weeks and I'm going to start a daily micro taper using liquid valium all the way down to 0. Many can jump off at .5 but I want to go slow and steady and get to 0 and hopefully avoid/minimize any post-jump s/x.

Congratulations to everyone who has made it through.

My biggest s/x are not enough sleep (max 5 hours a night if I am lucky) and bad chemical anxiety in the morning - that is unpredictable and is worse some morning and better others. I have had a few windows during this process for which I am grateful and feel like is a sign of recovery.

Thanks for listening/reading!

Hi everyone -

I read this thread everyday as I consider my taper to be much easier than so many which I am very thankful for.

I tapered a bit too fast at the start, going from 10mg of V in October to 4 by January. I got down to 2.5 but had to updose to 3mg as the cut was too drastic. I have been at 3mg now for almost 2 weeks and I'm going to start a daily micro taper using liquid valium all the way down to 0. Many can jump off at .5 but I want to go slow and steady and get to 0 and hopefully avoid/minimize any post-jump s/x.

Congratulations to everyone who has made it through.

My biggest s/x are not enough sleep (max 5 hours a night if I am lucky) and bad chemical anxiety in the morning - that is unpredictable and is worse some morning and better others. I have had a few windows during this process for which I am grateful and feel like is a sign of recovery.

Thanks for listening/reading!

You have a good plan and keep at it, unless things get wonky...and then go back to the drawing board. Taking your time will help more than anything. I would never walk off at .5mg, no way, I know how bad I felt before and do not want to go back.

I only slept 4 hrs, but good sleep and woke up OK, since I have gone down further, I am getting a bit more sleep. Accepting changes helps us to get through this, and keep your bedroom cold and know that it will pass. I am so glad you have had some windows...things looking good for you. Stay Strong. 💖 Peace and Healing.

Thanks so much BeGood - your posts really inspire and uplift me a lot.

To be honest, I think I am only going to come to this thread on BBs. When I go to other threads I fall into a hole of reading horror stories and my heart aches for these people, but then of course I think: "what if that is me too?" Then I calm down and remind myself: I am not bed ridden, I do not suffer s/x as horribly as those poor people, I am doing a slooooooow taper and have not been C/T-ed or did a rapid taper. In fact, yesterday I went for a long walk in the cold, did a bunch of grocery shopping, watched a movie, ate 3 meals  - all with no problem. And that was after a rough morning of anxiety.

My taper has not been easy per se, but it has been easier than I thought in many ways and I have a plan: to go slow and steady, listen to my body/mind and not rush to "jump off" - as many of you have said, I am going to slide off, not jump off.

When I get home to NYC I am getting liquid Valium (Rx) and starting a daily micro-taper, another smart move I think as many have benefitted a lot going this route. The buddy "Builder" is SO helpful and generous with how to do this and his taper was smooth and mostly painless as was his jump. It can be done. And he was on Benzos for much longer than myself so that is inspiring too. It can be done. We ALL will heal.

If anyone on this thread wants to PM me, please do - I want to build a supportive network of friends and this thread is where I am staying. I almost wish I could only have this thread pop up every time I signed into BBs.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday and will reach out to me whenever they want. I am here for everyone of you.

Thanks for letting me ramble - feeling hopeful (and in an 80% window today too!)

:) :)

Pete

This is so wonderful. I'm so happy for you!

This is so wonderful. I'm so happy for you!

Thank you!  Still doing OK here, had a little bit of anxiety yesterday but I think that is more from the idea of being off and thinking of the what-ifs rather than any actual sxs.

Thanks so much BeGood - your posts really inspire and uplift me a lot.

To be honest, I think I am only going to come to this thread on BBs. When I go to other threads I fall into a hole of reading horror stories and my heart aches for these people, but then of course I think: "what if that is me too?" Then I calm down and remind myself: I am not bed ridden, I do not suffer s/x as horribly as those poor people, I am doing a slooooooow taper and have not been C/T-ed or did a rapid taper. In fact, yesterday I went for a long walk in the cold, did a bunch of grocery shopping, watched a movie, ate 3 meals  - all with no problem. And that was after a rough morning of anxiety.

My taper has not been easy per se, but it has been easier than I thought in many ways and I have a plan: to go slow and steady, listen to my body/mind and not rush to "jump off" - as many of you have said, I am going to slide off, not jump off.

When I get home to NYC I am getting liquid Valium (Rx) and starting a daily micro-taper, another smart move I think as many have benefitted a lot going this route. The buddy "Builder" is SO helpful and generous with how to do this and his taper was smooth and mostly painless as was his jump. It can be done. And he was on Benzos for much longer than myself so that is inspiring too. It can be done. We ALL will heal.

If anyone on this thread wants to PM me, please do - I want to build a supportive network of friends and this thread is where I am staying. I almost wish I could only have this thread pop up every time I signed into BBs.

Hope everyone is having a great Saturday and will reach out to me whenever they want. I am here for everyone of you.

Thanks for letting me ramble - feeling hopeful (and in an 80% window today too!)

:) :)

Pete

I understand what you are saying...I am the same to a point, I do try to post to threads that I think I may be able to help...not all the time but some. I think it would be good for you to stay on this thread, do what you are comfortable with. there are some threads that are fun, I will leave you the link, it is a good way to interact with others. :smitten:

Just wanted to update to provide another account of how it goes after hopping off:

Wed: - Felt anxiety, trouble sleeping, First "sxs" I had felt since August.  Everything had been very smooth up to this point.

Thursday: - Felt anxiety and realized that it was probably the anticipation of being off that was causing it rather than the actual withdrawal. Decided to go ahead and hop off at .02 and be done with it.  I immediately felt better.

Friday (+24 hours) - Felt tense all day and a bit of anxiety at night.  I took a couple of extra strength Tylenol which knocked out the anxious feeling and was able to sleep about 6 hours.  I still think the anxiety was me anticipating something bad happening.

Saturday(+48 hours) -Feeling very good so far, very little anxiety or other symptoms.  A little head pressure but I think that is from the weather changing radically here in Florida.

Just wanted to update to provide another account of how it goes after hopping off:

Wed: - Felt anxiety, trouble sleeping, First "sxs" I had felt since August.  Everything had been very smooth up to this point.

Thursday: - Felt anxiety and realized that it was probably the anticipation of being off that was causing it rather than the actual withdrawal. Decided to go ahead and hop off at .02 and be done with it.  I immediately felt better.

Friday (+24 hours) - Felt tense all day and a bit of anxiety at night.  I took a couple of extra strength Tylenol which knocked out the anxious feeling and was able to sleep about 6 hours.  I still think the anxiety was me anticipating something bad happening.

Saturday(+48 hours) -Feeling very good so far, very little anxiety or other symptoms.  A little head pressure but I think that is from the weather changing radically here in Florida.

Hi Horizon, thanks for the update  :thumbsup: I know what you mean about "...anticipating something bad happening." I can't help feeling the same way  :o Every little thing, I wonder "Is this a sx?". I've had tinnitus since I was a very young adult and wouldn't have even noticed had it not been for my ridiculous vigilance.

I'm not going to come off these at .5mg, thinking .25mg if all goes well.

Best of luck, I'm sure it will all pan out fine. When I find myself over-thinking, I keep telling myself "not everything is necessarily a sx".

Harmonee

I probably will be walking off at the dose you did, I do not want to walk off any sooner, I decided long ago I would walk off in fumes....and so far doing that. Many say there is no sx this low, but I have noticed an uptick in my Meniere's disease, the reason I was put on Valium. I am not sure if it is post sinus infection...or like I said an uptick. I may end up holding longer if it keeps getting worse...but I am sure I will be overthinking a bit when I get as low as I can go, but I hope not too much...but we will see. You have done well, just breathe and relax...you are off. :thumbsup: 💖Peace and Healing.

Thanks BeGood for the link and congratulations Horizon on stepping off - you are doing great! Please keep us posted as to your progress as much as you can :) very excited and inspired!

Hi Guys... :)

More new faces..!  -Soon well be a mob.. Harmonee, -dont roll your eyes.. :)

Wishing the best to those jumping.. -ooops -Stepping n sliding off... (must have been in the trenches too long..)

And those getting close too... :)

lol, BG, Carefull what you wish for... By conversion, you are at Horizons Ativan stepping off dose..!!

-Well done Horizon...  -A huge mile stone reached..!!

As most of you know... (sorry)

I had to slow right down at low dose too, and stepped off feeling pretty good, -starting to get out and about in life..

Post Valium went fairly well, no nasty suprises... Well, life conspired against me, but the fact I survived that speaks volumes for a slow taper, Imo..

I did have symptoms, and some were new, but overall the intensity and length was much like previous cuts...

At about 4 months things got much better, and I moved on to my final jump off lyrica.. -That hasnt gone quite so well...  But Im surviving... (I pushed too fast)

I was tapering 2meds while in tolerance on another, and the main thing I wanted to say was, -What an amazing ability the body has to heal when given enough time and support..  Even if things do get rough, just relax through it and let the body do its thing... -All will be well..

:)

***Recently..

The last few days, sleep has improved a bit.. Light sensitivity isnt so bad, and a few other indications that im steadying out a bit from the last wave... The physical "anxiety" has started to retreat into some pretty intense afternoon toxic naps, which im taking as a real good sign, esp. as its nearly gone from my mornings and days... 

Its funny, I have been here before, actually several times before I joined BB, but I had no idea what it all was apart from feeling real bad from various WDs..  A lot of it was all mixed in with the mess from dropping 75% V before I even found BB.. A great thing I have gotten from this site is the information to kinda put it all together, -which gives me the ability to not over worry and even let it all go to an extent... It also reinforced how different we all are, and that its much better to trust my own taper, than worry about suffering what others may be experiencing...

Its hard to explain what that first bit of real healing is like.. For me it was a mental freshness, and after that I just knew it would all be ok in the end...

You guys will all get there too... -Just wait and see..!  :)

And thats more than enough of a blurt from me... :(

Its just good to drop in and read from you all...  Wishing Everyone the best...

:)

Thanks for dropping in Cantfly - you are showing signs of improvement which is great and very inspiring.

I know the feeling of toxic naps - I avoid napping now because I don't really nap and feel worse after. It's hard but I just stay awake.

Hope you have a great Sunday :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [TH...]
    • [Os...]
    • [Lo...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Le...]
    • [He...]
    • [Sc...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Ro...]