Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Easier Taper Support Group

[so...]

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [ga...]

• [...]

• [ly...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump this thread!!

New here and was getting very scared

Thank you for bumping!

You will be OK. If you are holding to stabilize, you are on the right track!

Read back on this thread aways and you will find lots of helpful posts about how to make this journey as easy as possible. I'll try to find my sloth post and put it up, too.

Gardie :smitten:

Here it is! I wish I had known about holding sooner. I'm sure I would have stabilized much quicker.

My (Ongoing) Long Hold/Slow Taper Success

http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/rescued-baby-sloths-conversation-fb__700-png.jpg

I started my taper off of Xanax at a rate dictated by my original doctor. He said I could get off completely in 4-6 months. After 6 weeks I crashed so badly I couldn't function to take care of myself and was so agoraphobic I could barely leave the house. My adult children had to help me take care of myself (get groceries, drive me to appointments, set up my meds, etc.). I felt a total failure. Life was daily horror.

I switched to a slow daily micro-taper which was gentler. My symptoms were better, but still intolerable. I very slowly crossed to Librium. I traded anxiety for depression. I could semi-function but life was misery.

My doctor left the practice. My new doctor told me to hold until I stabilized, so I did. It took 4 months to see improvement. It took 6 months to be able to function independently (especially set up my own meds without messing them up). It was nearly a year before I felt well enough to taper again. During this year, as I was able to do more and more on my own, I got my ducks in a row better (made better social connections, improved my coping techniques) so I was better prepared and less scared about tapering again.

I started tapering again. I began with just one micro-taper cut the first week. Then slowly increased to near 10% per month. When my symptoms went up, I held 3 weeks. I am now tapering closer to 5%. My doctor is allowing this pace at this time.

I am now tapering with much, much less pain. Yes, I still have symptoms. Yes, I still struggle. But I am not living in hell every day. When I have a wave, I know a window is coming. I am more independent and less leaning on my adult children. They are starting to worry less about me. That alone has made this all worth it.

When I was holding, I thought I was wasting time. I was not. I was healing. I was preparing my brain and my body for a successful taper. I believe I will step off without long-term damage. It's a long way away, but I have learned patience through all of this. I will be a stronger, more patient person when this is all done.

Gard :)

Here it is! I wish I had known about holding sooner. I'm sure I would have stabilized much quicker.

My (Ongoing) Long Hold/Slow Taper Success

http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/rescued-baby-sloths-conversation-fb__700-png.jpg

I started my taper off of Xanax at a rate dictated by my original doctor. He said I could get off completely in 4-6 months. After 6 weeks I crashed so badly I couldn't function to take care of myself and was so agoraphobic I could barely leave the house. My adult children had to help me take care of myself (get groceries, drive me to appointments, set up my meds, etc.). I felt a total failure. Life was daily horror.

I switched to a slow daily micro-taper which was gentler. My symptoms were better, but still intolerable. I very slowly crossed to Librium. I traded anxiety for depression. I could semi-function but life was misery.

My doctor left the practice. My new doctor told me to hold until I stabilized, so I did. It took 4 months to see improvement. It took 6 months to be able to function independently (especially set up my own meds without messing them up). It was nearly a year before I felt well enough to taper again. During this year, as I was able to do more and more on my own, I got my ducks in a row better (made better social connections, improved my coping techniques) so I was better prepared and less scared about tapering again.

I started tapering again. I began with just one micro-taper cut the first week. Then slowly increased to near 10% per month. When my symptoms went up, I held 3 weeks. I am now tapering closer to 5%. My doctor is allowing this pace at this time.

I am now tapering with much, much less pain. Yes, I still have symptoms. Yes, I still struggle. But I am not living in hell every day. When I have a wave, I know a window is coming. I am more independent and less leaning on my adult children. They are starting to worry less about me. That alone has made this all worth it.

When I was holding, I thought I was wasting time. I was not. I was healing. I was preparing my brain and my body for a successful taper. I believe I will step off without long-term damage. It's a long way away, but I have learned patience through all of this. I will be a stronger, more patient person when this is all done.

Gard :)

I love this Gardie each time I read it. Thanks for posting it.  :thumbsup: 🎅 Peace and Healing My Friend. :smitten:

Crazy last few days.  We got locked out of the house at night, then had to rush to urgent care for our baby (which turned out that there was nothing wrong), and then our heat went out.

And despite all of those events, which did give me a good bit of anxiety, still got decent sleep and am now at 0.25 mg klonopin.  Woot.

Getting to .25 mg K was in my mind a christmas present to myself. Planning on holding a few days to enjoy the holidays and the back at the tapering.

Crazy last few days.  We got locked out of the house at night, then had to rush to urgent care for our baby (which turned out that there was nothing wrong), and then our heat went out.

And despite all of those events, which did give me a good bit of anxiety, still got decent sleep and am now at 0.25 mg klonopin.  Woot.

Getting to .25 mg K was in my mind a christmas present to myself. Planning on holding a few days to enjoy the holidays and the back at the tapering.

Wow, I'm sorry for all you're been through, but I'm sooooo happy your baby is fine. And congratulations on getting to your Christmas goal. You're doing great!

Gardie :)

Great news that you could handle things, and woo hoo on reaching another goal. 376.gif🎅 Peace and Healing.

Thank you!!

Love sloths  :smitten:

Well, that proves you belong here! ;D

That made me cry lol

Thank you  :hug:

Still trying to stabilize after my stupid rapid taper. Still not sleeping after a week but other symptoms have pretty much gone.

No longer restless! So now just tinnitus and insomnia

Gonna talk to my doc about remeron, might have luck with that if this doesn't clear up.

Seems a lot if people here use it and it helped them

My luck is I won't be able to tolerate it (my genesite test is a mess lol)

But for now I pray, and hope for a clear answer!!

"Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise."

Hope no one minds me getting a little spiritual. Its been a long time :(

Congrats!! Merry Christmas indeed!!

Glad the munchkin is alright!!

If you have time after the holidays Roland, would you mind letting me know how you tapered?

Dry cutting? I'm interested in how you knew the numbers so well

Byron, I take 25mg of Seroquel for sleep. I have weird genetics, too, and can't take most antidepressants. I'd rather take a sedating antidepressant. I think they're less dangerous than Q. I hope one works for you.

I recommend an app called iSleep Easy. It has helped me a lot in coping with bouts of insomnia. Very calming and helpful, especially in the middle of the night.

Byron, I take 25mg of Seroquel for sleep. I have weird genetics, too, and can't take most antidepressants. I'd rather take a sedating antidepressant. I think they're less dangerous than Q. I hope one works for you.

I recommend an app called iSleep Easy. It has helped me a lot in coping with bouts of insomnia. Very calming and helpful, especially in the middle of the night.

Seroquel is weird for me. 50mg paralyzed me but had no sedative effect. 25mg was kinda the same.

12.5mg works every now and then but not very well and the feeling of falling asleep is kind of scary, not a calm sedation for me

I've seen people be up to 600mg in some of my mental health support groups! I think that dose would kill me lol

Seroquel is weird for me. 50mg paralyzed me but had no sedative effect. 25mg was kinda the same.

12.5mg works every now and then but not very well and the feeling of falling asleep is kind of scary, not a calm sedation for me

I've seen people be up to 600mg in some of my mental health support groups! I think that dose would kill me lol

No, not hundreds of mg. Seroquel is only good for sleep below 100mg. Higher doses are for other things. Ah well, seems it's not the right med for you anyway. IMHO, if you keep holding things will improve as your nervous system stabilizes and probably your sleep will improve, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year everyone! It is so nice to come here and read about the success hat everyone is having! It makes a hard road a little bit smoother.

I am getting ready to step off, but am having a bit of anxiety about completely letting go, even though I am at such a tiny tiny amount. It feels like giving up my security blanket, even though I don't need it anymore.

I have been at .007 mg for just over a month now and just need that final push to not feel the need to swallow that minuscule drop of liquid each night, but I'm just scared to actually do it for some reason!

Happy new year everyone! It is so nice to come here and read about the success hat everyone is having! It makes a hard road a little bit smoother.

I am getting ready to step off, but am having a bit of anxiety about completely letting go, even though I am at such a tiny tiny amount. It feels like giving up my security blanket, even though I don't need it anymore.

I have been at .007 mg for just over a month now and just need that final push to not feel the need to swallow that minuscule drop of liquid each night, but I'm just scared to actually do it for some reason!

Hi Rosabell, good job of getting so low...I think most feel as you do...when so close to walking off. I think I probably will hold on the last of my fumes too, I think you will walk off when you are ready. One thing you could try, take your dose every other day and keep increasing the days...and then poof it will be gone. Stay Strong and know that you have come a long way. 💖 Peace and Healing. :smitten:

I understand completely. Any change can bring anxiety on. I did a hold through the holidays and was a nervous wreck when I started up again on the 1st. I'm better now.

This may be off the wall, but you could try a placebo on yourself. Take a tiny drop of water for a few nights instead of your med. It might work!

I just started a liquid taper.  I am on my 3rd day ...too soon to tell, however I feel better today for the first time since I was on HOLD for 6 weeks on 10 mg.  The liquid taper is 300 ml of water for 5mg of Valium.  You take out 1ml a day, 2ml next day, and so on and so on for 10 months till the 300 ml is gone.  Then you are off 5 mg in 10 months.  Praying this works simply bcuz it is a very slow taper and I'm still moving forward and IF I get sxs, they won't be crippling as what I had experienced when I RUSHED from 30 mg to 10 in less than 4 months. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [...]
    • [...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [Ho...]
    • [Ba...]
    • [Li...]
    • [So...]
    • [He...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [di...]
    • [Re...]