Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

I haven't gone back to Crossfit yet since my panic attack mid workout last week but I did go into the gym and rowed on the rowing machine for 1000meters.

I've been walking the dog every day since and he has enjoyed it too. Doing my best.

Last night I did a video thing I subscribe to called Rom WOD... Range of motion workout of the day. It's like yoga for athletes. I felt so much better when I was done. All this laying on the couch is not good for any of us.

Tonight I'm going to watch a competition at the gym. Trying to do a little exposure therapy to get myself back at it.

Thanks for all your comments on this thread. You keep me Inspired!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Exposure therapy at the gym went great.

I arrived with blurry vision. I left with a sense of accomplishment.

Rowed 1500 meters, superset of 5x10 Air Squats and 15# dumbell bent over rows. Did some glute bridges with the band (to heal my weak hip) and some upper back strengthening with PT band (to rehab old shoulder injury). Then did 5 sets of 10 sec on 50 sec off air assault bike- High intensity / varied state cardio. Kept telling myself my brain needed the BDNF (from the book Spark). My heart was beating REAL LOUD and I told myself- "see this is not panic, this is exercise."

So proud of myself.

Also took 2 short walks with the dog.

I'm gonna sleep like a baby!

So it finally happened. I hit a wall at 5.4mg Diaz and I just couldn't exercise because I was going out of my mind with mental and physiological sx.  I remember one member saying that he hit a wall at 6mg.  Has anyone else run into a wall and what did you do to break through?

Many thanks,

Ed

So it finally happened. I hit a wall at 5.4mg Diaz and I just couldn't exercise because I was going out of my mind with mental and physiological sx.  I remember one member saying that he hit a wall at 6mg.  Has anyone else run into a wall and what did you do to break through?

Many thanks,

Ed

Ed,

I hit a wall at 4mg last February.  I had to do a long hold.  I held for a month and it worked out.  They'll tell you the same in the Valium thread.  Don't push through it with cutting because it will just get worse and the symptoms add up.  Hold and wait for it to pass.

Many thanks,

Ed

Ed,

I hit a wall at 4mg last February.  I had to do a long hold.  I held for a month and it worked out.  They'll tell you the same in the Valium thread.  Don't push through it with cutting because it will just get worse and the symptoms add up.  Hold and wait for it to pass.

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Hey guys,

I have an exercise question.

I walked the dog 1 mile today and toward the end, I got a little more dizzy than usual and I think dilated pupils. Everything looked really bright to me and colors more vivid (I don't know if this is just numbness wearing off or a withdrawal symptom).

So then I just kinda laid on the couch all day and got ancy in the evening. I thought I better do some moderate/high intensity for a few minutes to get some blood in my brain and muscles.

I only did 5 sets of 15 bodyweight squats and 10 pushups on my deck chairs. Then I did 100 jump ropes. This was 6:04 minutes total of exercise. I have been working out consistently for about 2 years but have taken a few days off.

I came in the house and did about 10 minutes of yoga/stretching and noticed the sweat was just poring out of me. 20 minutes later, my heart rate was still 95. I also felt a little nausea but I don't know if it was from eating a crappy dinner or from stretching or what. It was gone in about 30 minutes.

I thought- ang- this is just more anxiety trying to stop you from exercising.

I made myself get in shower and I feel a lot better now.

I'm just wondering, am I doing too much? It might be too early to say as this kind of happened about 10 days ago (panic attack DURING the workout) but I have done a little bit since then.

I don't know how it feels when you can't exercise or are exercise intolerant or anything. How does one know?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forum but really didn't see anything helpful to my question.

Ang...I know I'm still exercise intolerant because after I've worked out(and I mean for the next day or two not immediately after) I get terrible heart palps, incredible exhaustion, and muscle pain.  I've exercised my whole life and what I get is not normal post exercise stuff and it's not something to just get used to. It's very similar to the anxiety I had before the drugs and after I quit.  It was a whole new ballgame in intensity I never had. Regardless of what the "professionals" told me I knew it was from the benzos.  At 23 months my anxiety is the least I can ever remember si I figure my exercise intolerance will drop away too.

It is so hard to know what is what in recovery from this shit but you know your body and it's a lot of trial and error. 

That's a good tip, thanks drew28.

I don't feel any muscle pain today from the workout yesterday besides a little tiny bit of soreness in my arms.

Don't feel exhaustion, just calmer than I was earlier.

This is all so strange.

Let's see if anyone else has any comments.

Hey guys,

I have an exercise question.

I walked the dog 1 mile today and toward the end, I got a little more dizzy than usual and I think dilated pupils. Everything looked really bright to me and colors more vivid (I don't know if this is just numbness wearing off or a withdrawal symptom).

So then I just kinda laid on the couch all day and got ancy in the evening. I thought I better do some moderate/high intensity for a few minutes to get some blood in my brain and muscles.

I only did 5 sets of 15 bodyweight squats and 10 pushups on my deck chairs. Then I did 100 jump ropes. This was 6:04 minutes total of exercise. I have been working out consistently for about 2 years but have taken a few days off.

I came in the house and did about 10 minutes of yoga/stretching and noticed the sweat was just poring out of me. 20 minutes later, my heart rate was still 95. I also felt a little nausea but I don't know if it was from eating a crappy dinner or from stretching or what. It was gone in about 30 minutes.

I thought- ang- this is just more anxiety trying to stop you from exercising.

I made myself get in shower and I feel a lot better now.

I'm just wondering, am I doing too much? It might be too early to say as this kind of happened about 10 days ago (panic attack DURING the workout) but I have done a little bit since then.

I don't know how it feels when you can't exercise or are exercise intolerant or anything. How does one know?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forum but really didn't see anything helpful to my question.

I think the symptoms you're describing are all anxiety. When we're in fight or flight our senses are heightened, hence the bright vivid colors. I think Drew is right that it's from the Benzos. It's great that you're doing exercise as exposure therapy. I went through that too, as exercise was my biggest trigger. I don't even think about panic or anxiety at all when I work out now. It's totally gone. I did a lot of work with the CBT and the panic was gone by about 6 months post jump. It was already fading at 3-4 months off. I think challenging yourself with exposure is the best attitude and will serve you well.

Ang, I've had those symptoms when I overdo either in intensity or duration. One day it can be a good amount and the next day the same level will leave me feeling rotten but I usually feel off before I start. It's very tricky knowing when to push through because I'll feel better afterwards and when it will leave me worse. What I'm trying to do is when I feel exhausted but like I can do something, I dial it back and that seems to go better. But if I feel like total crud and weak, I need to skip a day.

Thanks MTFan. That's good advice too. One day at a time. One workout at a time.

I walked the dog today again, it went very well. No dizziness, no dilated pupils. A calm walk and I just tried to focus on the flowers and trees that are all in spring bloom.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all sorry i have been out and havent supported ya all or posted my exercise lately. I havent done as much. busy w therapies though. I need to be in a positive place like here. some recent posts elsewhere are scaring me (setbacks months after quitting

Ang1111 - i like your sig "everyday feels like exposure therapy" - totally get that.

How do you feel or manage exercise if you arent sleeping? even if i find some energy i feel weak. anyone? I skipped any exercise yesterday (walking alot w errands ) as i felt energy but nervous energy like it could wipe me out. like a false energy.. from nerves. ironic part is exercise is good for helping sleep

couple wks ago i could jog a minute at a time on treadmill and did 3 lb wts.  Im hoping its just a phase i just seemed way more active in fall and parts of winter

I feel that false anxious energy too. A lot. I also feel the weakness a little bit too.

I stopped doing Crossfit and started doing yoga at home using YouTube. I'm on day 5 today of a 30 day yoga with Adriene program. When I'm tired and/or weak I just do what I can! No ones watching- just me.

I agree that it's helping me sleep too- for sure.

So far so good and I'm able to tolerate it well.

wow crossfit seems like a real challenge

im often on the fence w exercise lately cause if i work the muscles, and dont sleep, they dont recover i believe.

i admit ive been running around doing therapies and not my yoga stretching

do you meditate too for anxiety/sleep

Yes meditation and mindfulness every single day, several times a day. At minimum right when I wake up and I use it to fall asleep.

good for you girl! find them on Utube? Ive been slacking on that. I tend to need to stay busy. i know that i should practice! Ive been in all day but goin to bf sisters for overnight. change of environment. I never stay home all day - gotta get outta my head! I think it will help.

goinna try another short hike before going. hope to get up my "big hill" again soon. maybe i should push myself more often like i was. im unsure cause of the less sleep - does anyone have a comment on this? Hows your exercise going what changes if any if you are having sleep issues?

This yoga stuff is helping my sleep issues. I'm sleeping way more deeply. Also I've noticed I've hard more sleep issues since I stopped doing Crossfit. That's why I started the yoga.

Search on YouTube for "Yoga with Adriene" there's an intro video then do 30 days yoga camp. It's very gentle nothing crazy.

Kris,

I regularly exercise with little or no sleep. What I've noticed is that I don't make the gains I would when I was able to sleep but I very slowly make progress. I'm stronger than I once was but overall stamina isn't great. Yes I'm more achy than I used to be before wd but it was worse when I wasn't exercising. I try to push through the fatigue unless it's one of those days that I'm totally destroyed with it but usually I can at least get in 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, often closer to 60 3-4 times a week. Meditation seems to help with overall calmness and at night when I'm trying to sleep gets me in a quieter state of mind. I practice mindfulness stuff here and there throughout the day to help get me actually experience my life rather than enduring and ignoring it.

So do what you can. Yoga's a great idea too.

The ones I do are apps on my phone: "Michael Stone meditation" and "Mindfulness" and "Mindfulness II." 

The ones I use on YouTube are Bloom in Wellness (benzo specific postive affirmations and meditations), I do the Body Scan meditation with Jon Kabat Zinn to sleep and sometimes I do a search like "guided meditation for ..." anxiety or positive thinking and do whatever has the most views. It's really been helping me so much.

Hi MTfan,

I can push through fatigue usually too, not in the morning though. The biggest problem has been intense stiff pain to the bone, like rubbing my thighs feels like im touching a bruise on the bone

so i wonder if im doing too much for the amount of sleep im getting. Im hardly doing as much as i did in fall and winter. I was sleeping better then too. There is some connection with the burned out sore weak legs (everywhere really) and lack of sleep

have you or anyone noticed this or is it just me? Im in such a dilemma with exercise cause it helps sleep, but is it doing damage to muscle that doesnt get any deep sleep? then what? I know movement help the blood flow but its like ya just cant get it that deep? (speaking of blood flow, in the morning i am so not coherent! not ready to think or drive etc This with the pain creates huge worry over functioning the way i need to)

I hope and pray i sleep tonight. gonna try a different bedroom. Anxiety is spiking with this pain, sometimes just sitting i can feel it goin on

ps scheduled a massage for next week

From some one that wrote a success story last year, some wise words for ALL us who think pushing it is a good idea

I learned an important lesson. Even though I am over a year from tapering my CNS is still healing. i really got into the exercise kick, I pushed myself everyday and the intensity of my exercise was the most I ever had, more intense then before withdrawal. This I thought was a success, proof that I was all the way back.

What I learned was that a damaged CNS can get worse with over exercising, even a year away from the last dose.

I think I caught my mistake in time and have eased up the intensity and duration, my meals and my sleep. So now I realize That I do still have a damaged CNS and that I can't do high intensity and am "listening" to my body. After a few weeks of rethinking my exercise, meals and sleep schedule I am back to feel better.

I still exercise, but I have a pre workout snack for energy, I have a post workout 30 mins after. My workouts were too long, I checked. So I shorten them to no more than an hour a day. I took down the intensity a few notches and I monitor my water intake.

I was so engrossed with it all I was really doing much more than I should have been doing. And that could have really hurt me.

With my changed exercise my energy is coming back and I feel better and much more clear.

Listen to your body its your best mentor and a lot wiser than us when it comes to healing that's why it gives us signals to slow down or just rest for a while. The muscles need rest to repair, you would not repeatedly stamp on a broken toe so way keep bashing a broken CNS that runs all of our body and brain not just one small part?  ???

In a tribe where they have great warriors if that warrior gets hurt they rest until completely well for as long as it takes not go back in to battle half injured where they would be a hindrance not a help. Or a hunt where they would be as good as useless , that's why this Benzo Warrior listened and apart from the very occasional 5 to  10 minutes slow walk when I am able. Which has been 4 or 6 times in 8 months is resting for now :thumbsup:

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Buddies!

I am now following this thread for motivation  :thumbsup:

I used to LOVE going to the gym, 3 or 4 times per week, a place where I made lots of friends as well... and I let the tolerance/withdrawal exhaustion take it away from me. I still like to do some yoga in the morning, at least some stretching and I "power walk". I am hoping to get a little fitter this Spring - I'm aware of the benzo-implications  :D I need to do more "feel good" things and finding a balanced exercise regime is more than likely to be a great improvement to my life!!

Best to All!

Julz x

yes sounds like gaging your exercise is key.

Id still like to know does lack of sleep directly correlate to muscle pain n weakness for anyone?? Then exercise is harder and seems to spiral backward - atleast thats what im afraid of after my experience last summer! (strugglin w my sleep again now)

Also do you guys wake up feeling heavy in the chest like heart has to work harder? and stiffness is the worst.

I read that we can take tylenol but not advil the by way! Anyone use tumeric and how much? mine isnt cuttin it

Hello Buddies.  This is my first post in this club.  I posted this in another club but I wanted to share it here and hear anyone elses experiences.  I jumped on 1/1/16 and have definitely had waves and windows.  Main sxs are health anxiety, tinnitus, muscle ticks, 4am surges (like internal buzzing and heat) 3-4 times a week, night sweats, occasional waves of nausea, and a few chemical induced physical symptom anxiety attacks:

My day was pretty good yesterday.  I felt good enough to go to the gym after work and do some weight lifting for the first time in a few months.  I ran a couple of miles on the treadmill on Saturday and felt pretty good afterwards (until I got food poisoning) so I figured I would give a medium intensity full body workout a shot.  I felt pretty good afterwards but had a muscle tick in my left triceps that lasted for a couple of hours.  Muscle ticks are the norm for me in w/d but this was was a bit more intense than most.  And then I had some pretty intense night sweats and was even hot into the morning and lightly sweating when I woke up this morning still.  I'm at work and have the fan on me because I still feel a little hot.  I did throw in some medium weight deadlifts which are super taxing on the CNS so I think I might have just overdone it a little for a first workout back.  I need to keep telling myself I'm not in the shape I was prior to my taper but it's hard to not press as hard to try and get back there.  I've maintained my weight throughout this whole process but it has definitely changed from muscle mass to fat  :laugh: .  It's time to start changing that back!  Good luck all!

Hi again!

Did a yoga flow sequence with Youtube (Yoga with Adrienne, as I had heard about it by Ang  :thumbsup:), thoroughly enjoyed the breathing/flow experience, got my heart rate up a notch and broke a little sweat. Most importantly: felt less anxious  :thumbsup:

Hi Kris, no Advil? Do you mean for muscle pain? I don't think Ibuprofen helps with sleep if that was your question.

Hi EricSS and welcome! You are doing really good by the sounds of it  :thumbsup: You seem to have good knowledge of exercise and stress induced. I used to love deadlifting and am so eager to get back into it... but you've reminded me that we need to look at how things affect our poor CNSs...

All the best to All and happy healing!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ka...]
    • [El...]
    • [jo...]
    • [...]
    • [kn...]
    • [de...]
    • [Li...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Lo...]
    • [Al...]