Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

I don't life weights, so I am sorry that I have no input on that topic. As for the revved up part, while I am exercising on the treadmill I feel incredible. The rush I get from cardio overwhelms any type of sx I may have going on. But within 20 or so minutes upon cessation of the cardio, I do get a bit of anxiety and chills. And yes, mine subside after a short period (under 2 hours) as well.

--Edzo

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't worry too much about panic attacks during or after exercise, though I understand it's difficult to "not worry" while having a panic attack. Fear can't hurt you, it's just creepy. If you enjoy the activity more than you dislike the side effects, more power to you.

I've never read a single report of people getting sicker (long term) from exercising.

Does anyone on here have issues where u lift weights and start to go into panic mode I used to get this early wd now I'm 16 months out and started hittin the gym and liftin heavy and noticed I went into a panic now I'm back in off to my normal light workout but still getting the panic I find it odd that this far out this is happening my anxiety has been through the roof this week and I have to keep exercise up so my pots don't come back I'm really confused on what I should do power through it and try to ingmpre the panic or talk it easy back off of my workout and pray pots doesn't come back

I've had what you're talking about all throughout WD. I'm in my 20th month off Klonopin. I've never been diagnosed with pots, but I've read about it and I get pots like symptoms. I just get them way less frequently than I used to. In fact I've been working out at the gym lately and not even thinking once about my heart. That's how it goes. It's a really slow progression, but you'll get back to normal for sure. 16 months is still sort of early for some folks. As far as the panic, just continue doing what you're doing if you can. not doing something because of panic is avoidance and that reinforces the panic cycle. A panic attack isn't harmful at all. Some people say they feel like they're going to pass out, which is obviously not safe if you're lifting weights. In a panic attack your BP is elevated so that's actually the opposite of passing out. If you did faint, that's low BP and something other than panic. Hope that's helpful.

The pots symptoms seem to stay away mostly it's more the constant anxiety I'm getting and panic that ruining my workout I try to push through but whoa I feel like I can't take it wich is weird cause I haven't had that issue for a while I was taking a beta blocker on occasion but not taking right now I took it wen this started and it made my panic worse not sure if a beta blocker triggered this mabe exercising to hard I noticed I got my first glimpse of this at the gym wen I was lifting heavy on the bench and I got quite the panic then but now it's not goin away I guess I can try pushin through I just worry this is making symptoms worse

Chris, no you're not making anything worse. Every day you put between you and benzos you're making things much much better for yourself. It will turn around and the anxiety will fade. When I got panicky in the weight room I would finish my set and then get a drink of cold water and rest till I calmed down. But it's important not to leave at the peak of a panic attack. If you can, continue your workout after your panic subsides a bit. Put a number on your anxiety 1-10. Make sure it's come back down to a manageable level like 5 or less before you leave. You'll gain confidence each time you do this, and eventually the anxiety will get less and less.

I wonder if it's a temporary increase in adrenaline that sets us off a bit for a short amount of time.  With our CNS being in a sensitive state this might be the case???  Who knows but the good thing is that we recover and don't make things worse long term.

I don't life weights, so I am sorry that I have no input on that topic. As for the revved up part, while I am exercising on the treadmill I feel incredible. The rush I get from cardio overwhelms any type of sx I may have going on. But within 20 or so minutes upon cessation of the cardio, I do get a bit of anxiety and chills. And yes, mine subside after a short period (under 2 hours) as well.

--Edzo

Yeah you nailed it.  Same here,

--Edzo

I just noticed you're still tapering and at 6mg.  That's awesome you can exercise at this point.  When I was at 6mg, no way!!

Keep up the good work!

chris14 for what its worth I usually feel refreshed but not anxiety after exercise but on occasion i notice too much adrenaline, i back off. Ill do slow stretching and alot depends how ive eaten that day!

Vegan thanks for your long post earlier on...been out a few days. I know what you mean about not expecting exercise, bodywork etc to make me better faster, its just that it reminds me of ME , even just being in the gym to use the roller..,its my old habitat and does something for me psychologically. The summons i got preoccupied me and stressed me for days, gettin info, trying not to overreact, and i did not exercise at all :( I hope im not gonna have a rough ride as you say. i read some success stories and compare histories to feel hopeful. I had some issues before the klon but I had stopped paxil and cant even remember the timeline so who knows...

If i even jog for 15 sec on a walk, i note it in my calender :)

Kris: Sounds like you are doing everything just right. Being reminded of who you are sounds like just the right kind of healing, so I hope you can get to do that as often as you feel you need it. Hoping for the best for you.

--Edzo

I just noticed you're still tapering and at 6mg.  That's awesome you can exercise at this point.  When I was at 6mg, no way!!

Keep up the good work!

At what point did you have to stop exercising?  I'm getting pretty close to having to give it a break, to be honest.

Also, it looks safe to assume that you are once again exercising. At what point (mg wise) were you able to get back to the gym?

I haven't decided if I'm going to go up to the gym tonight or not.  Rough day and whatnot.

Yeah, I was on it for 25 years as a migraine preventative.  It helped a lot.  I mainly wanted to get off of it because I wondered if I could lose weight better if my heart would actually beat!  I took two months to taper off and had no problems except that my blood pressure kind of gave me grief and I had to go on other meds for awhile.  Looking back, I'm thinking the one thing I'd have done differently in my tapering off all this stuff is that I maybe should have tapered off propranolol last.

I certainly don't feel like it's anything scary like all the benzos and ADs.

Maybe Drew will chime in.  He finally decided to give it a try and I don't think he's any worse for it, isn't that the case, Drew?

--Edzo

Keep up the good work!

At what point did you have to stop exercising?  I'm getting pretty close to having to give it a break, to be honest.

Also, it looks safe to assume that you are once again exercising. At what point (mg wise) were you able to get back to the gym?

I haven't decided if I'm going to go up to the gym tonight or not.  Rough day and whatnot.

Somewhere between 1.2mg and 1mg my exercise tolerance was getting noticeably better.  When I first started I would have head pressure after the work outs.  Now the head pressure is very very minimal and sometimes not noticeable.

I would like to add I had two days of stress and it was a rough one.  My body finally settled down but minor symptoms came back last night.  Today I am doing OK.  It's true that normal stress sucks when you have a compromised nervous system.

--Edzo

So, looking at your signature, you had to take about 10 months off from the gym? That must have been a difficult period.  I hope and pray that I won't be forced into that long of a lapse. Not sure what I'd do with myself.  At any rate, you are right about stress affecting a compromised CNS. Sometimes, when I allow my thoughts to wonder without thinking about it, I catch myself having stressful thoughts and can literally feel my heart rate begin to increase and my breath becoming more shallow. At that point, I try to do whatever I can to force those thoughts away. I guess I will have to further hone this coping mechanism the further down I reduce.  Thanks you for always taking the time to get back to a newbie. I truly appreciate it.

Best,

Edzo

Keep up the good work!

Somewhere between 1.2mg and 1mg my exercise tolerance was getting noticeably better.  When I first started I would have head pressure after the work outs.  Now the head pressure is very very minimal and sometimes not noticeable.

I would like to add I had two days of stress and it was a rough one.  My body finally settled down but minor symptoms came back last night.  Today I am doing OK.  It's true that normal stress sucks when you have a compromised nervous system.

I have a question....was off of klonopin for 8 months and off antidepressant for 2 months in November 2015 when I went back to 30 minutes on the elliptical and some light weight lifting for 3 days in a row and then I started experiencing withdrawals....then the withdrawals subsided until one month later in December 2015 when I once again went back to the gym for 3 days i a row with 30 minutes on the elliptical and light weights and once again withdrawals kick in...I cease exercising and withdrawals go away....then in early January 2016 I decided to for go the gym to just walk for 30 minutes and I did this 3 days in a row and once again I get hit with withdrawals....In late January I had a cortisol saliva test done and the results come back that my adrenals are out of whack and my glutamate is very high....can exercise cause withdrawals, panic attacks, and glutamate to go sky high?

I have a question....was off of klonopin for 8 months and off antidepressant for 2 months in November 2015 when I went back to 30 minutes on the elliptical and some light weight lifting for 3 days in a row and then I started experiencing withdrawals....then the withdrawals subsided until one month later in December 2015 when I once again went back to the gym for 3 days i a row with 30 minutes on the elliptical and light weights and once again withdrawals kick in...I cease exercising and withdrawals go away....then in early January 2016 I decided to for go the gym to just walk for 30 minutes and I did this 3 days in a row and once again I get hit with withdrawals....In late January I had a cortisol saliva test done and the results come back that my adrenals are out of whack and my glutamate is very high....can exercise cause withdrawals, panic attacks, and glutamate to go sky high?

Hi downtongirl  :hug: ALL the above are ALL Benzo withdrawal induced and will heal on their own in time and antidepressants can also cause withdrawal symptoms mirror identical to Benzo symptoms.

November 2015 when I went back to 30 minutes on the elliptical and some light weight lifting for 3 days in a row and then I started experiencing withdrawals....then the withdrawals subsided until one month later in December 2015 when I once again went back to the gym for 3 days i a row with 30 minutes on the elliptical and light weights and once again withdrawals kick in...I cease exercising and withdrawals go away....then in early January 2016 I decided to for go the gym to just walk for 30 minutes and I did this 3 days in a row and once again I get hit with withdrawals.

You've become ''exercise intolerant'', exercise is revving up your symptoms by causes too much excitability in an already over excited nervous system so you need to either try a much shorter walk or stop exercising altogether for a while until your body can handle it better :) I've had to do that myself so have many others, its common so your not alone. And like all withdrawal/healing symptoms it will improve by its self in time,  :thumbsup:

This is not the first time I had to stop doing any exercise, I had to stop and start months here and there at a time, but this is the longest break I've had to take so far. Its got worse as I get lower in my taper, but that's okay as I am still healing and now my body needs me to take things easier so now it can get on with its repair job.  ;)

Even indoors I've had to be careful as doing too much revs my as well but I do as much as I can and if my body tells me it can't go any further then I lay down but I don't let pain or anything stop me trying.  :o The only limitations I accept is when its not possible to do anything no matter how willing I am, and rest is as important as exercise, its not the be all and end all, sometimes healing require you to be still for a while how long doesn't matter.

Read the link below it explains why our adrenal, cortisol and a heap of other hormones and functions go awry during withdrawal and healing, and the cure is do nothing and allow time to do the healing :thumbsup:

Love Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

HOW BENZOS CAUSE HPA AXIS DYSREGULATION http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=44373.0

Has anyone on here had that "heavy leg" symptom and had it leave? It feels hard to walk at times like each leg weighs a ton.

I like when Nova answers these questions. Always feel like I've just gotten smarter after reading her responses.

Hi guys just checkin in.

I havent experienced this wd after exercising. sometimes feel i did too much though.

2 days ago i had myofascial relea.se done and accup right after. Next morning i had pt which wasnt as hard. later that day i decided to do tiny wt on leg machines and a few jogs in the parking lot . well today very sore.

I have crashed many times by trying to do too much in one day, housework amounts to exercise really, I remember feeling really good one day and I cleaned for hours and ended up washing the kitchen floor by hand, I was adamant I was "fine" when my friend told me to stop as I would regret it, sure enough, he was right...

When our adrenals are spent, exercise is the last thing we need, at least on a strenuous level... walking should be fine but anything else is just taxing the body, benzo withdrawal is a serious illness and whilst we need to move, pushing ourselves when we are fatigued is always going to hurt, we need to acknowledge our limitations no matter how frustrating that may be.

I am feeling fatigued again today, even walking down to the mail box and back up a steep hill and steps back up to the house really exhausts me but I swept half the house inside today but I knew when to stop... I have pushed myself enough times to know I simply can't do much right now, it's not my fault, my nervous system dictates my physical ability right now along with the duration, which isn't much but it's better than it used to be, I was bedridden once and could barely bath and dress myself.

I've been getting this weird feeling wen I lift weights lately it becomes hard to breathe wich I'm used to and then it's like the air I inhale gets cold . Does anyone else get this ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ka...]
    • [El...]
    • [jo...]
    • [...]
    • [kn...]
    • [de...]
    • [Li...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Lo...]
    • [Al...]
    • [je...]