Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Hey Snurkel, I modify that routine a lot.  Sometimes replacing the squats with lunges and pushups with tricep/bicep exercises.  I skip more often than they say, and am moving at a MUCH slower pace.  I think it is just a great reminder to exercise these body parts, even just a little a day! :thumbsup:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks mtfan...I'm supposed to head down end of sept. Meantime I walk 15 min not do stretches w a few girlie pushup. Sit ups etc for an hour. Using tennis ball on wall too. Sleep has helped a lot! Especially w my mood and focus. I've noticed I can carry things easier etc. I pulled some weeds from the garden last night.

Got letter of the blood results from Dr in the mail. All good just white blood count a little bit high. Could that be from stress? That day was rough. Physically n emotionally...family problems and first day at hospital outpatient program. Wants to see me again in 6 mo.

By looking at my signature does anyone have an opinion as to when I can get in a gym again? I used to bench 90 now 10. I'm trying to be patient. How long after quitting did you all get back in the gym?

I finally officially joined a gym again.  Unfortunately, this came in the midst of my worst insomnia in a long time and only a few days away before I see a pdoc who is familiar with Ashton/Breggin/Healy/Glenmullen etc. to do withdrawal.  I have access to more exercise equipment than I can imagine.  There is a swimming pool, basketball court, ice skating rink and a bunch of different group classes available.

I have good leg strength but horrible upper body strength and my cardio is terrible.  Basically, I'm in my 30s (but feel like I'm 10,000 years old) and I'm quite out of shape with a damaged brain from psychiatric medications and really I just want to do what is necessary to repair my insomnia since that is my main issue.  I just don't know what would be best for me at this time.  Should I just run aimlessly on the treadmill until exhaustion?  I can skate extremely well so should I just skate around in a circle until my skates need to be sharpened again?  Should I pretend that I can play basketball?  What about aiming for a goal to bench press more than just the bar?

Seriously though, for those who have been exercising for the purposes of helping insomnia, what exercises did you do and how long did it take to see positive results?  Any input would be appreciated.

Is anybody on this thread doing vigorous exercise for twenty minutes daily?  I was doing it for a while, but I wasn't consistent with it.  I would like to know if anybody has made any progress from doing this?

Is anybody on this thread doing vigorous exercise for twenty minutes daily?  I was doing it for a while, but I wasn't consistent with it.  I would like to know if anybody has made any progress from doing this?

Hi Caddo-I did vigorous exercise my entire recovery. I worked out for 2 to 2 1/2 hours every day and I am 100% sure that expedited my recovery. The more I worked out the more my body craved it, and I always listened to my body.

I highly recommend reading Spark by Dr. John Ratey. Exercise and lifting weights is excellent for your brain and will expedite your recovery. When you exercise your brain releases a chemical in your brain called BDNF which is known as a fertilizer in your brain.

Hi all...this isn't pointed at anyone in particular.  please just keep your symptoms you may be having to a brief overview if it is due to the exercising or you noticed an improvement of them from exercising.  I have received several messages from members who no longer feel safe reading this thread.  There are many places to get answers or advice on all the other crap we are dealing with. You can even PM someone from here but this thread just needs to be a positive place regarding all things exercise. 

Thx!!! :thumbsup:

Hi Caddo-I did vigorous exercise my entire recovery. I worked out for 2 to 2 1/2 hours every day and I am 100% sure that expedited my recovery. The more I worked out the more my body craved it, and I always listened to my body.

I highly recommend reading Spark by Dr. John Ratey. Exercise and lifting weights is excellent for your brain and will expedite your recovery. When you exercise your brain releases a chemical in your brain called BDNF which is known as a fertilizer in your brain.

Thanks AF.  I will look into that book. 

Hi Caddo

I highly recommend the book SPARK by John Ratey, MD also. Almost everything in my piece on The Case for Exercise in Benzodiazine Withdrawal come directly from this book. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=77609.0

I'm been healed for some time now and attribute exercise for  a whole lot of my healing. I still incorporate bouts of HIIT into my aerobics workouts for the neurlogic benefits.

A lot of people simply are unable to work out at all or can do very little during their tapers and the earlier part of their recovery process. I was one of these folks. I couldn't do any exercise for several months and could only do a minimal amount at first. My exercise capability gradually improved over time and with it came the immense benefits from exercise.

Good luck. You're going to be fine one day. Working out, when you are able, will speed the process.

Bart

Hi Caddo

I highly recommend the book SPARK by John Ratey, MD also. Almost everything in my piece on The Case for Exercise in Benzodiazine Withdrawal come directly from this book. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=77609.0

I'm been healed for some time now and attribute exercise for  a whole lot of my healing. I still incorporate bouts of HIIT into my aerobics workouts for the neurlogic benefits.

A lot of people simply are unable to work out at all or can do very little during their tapers and the earlier part of their recovery process. I was one of these folks. I couldn't do any exercise for several months and could only do a minimal amount at first. My exercise capability gradually improved over time and with it came the immense benefits from exercise.

Good luck. You're going to be fine one day. Working out, when you are able, will speed the process.

Bart

Thanks Bart.  I was one of those people that couldn't exercise as well, but I can easily maintain an aerobic level on my elliptical for twenty minutes now.  I just haven't been good about sticking with it for more than a week at a time.  I'll probably buy Spark as soon as I'm done with my English class reading assignment, but in the meantime I will definitely start on my elliptical again; I did so today in fact.

Hi BBs

Before benzos I was a sports freak. Gym was my second home, I was an avid runner, swimmer, bodybuilder...you name it. The beginning of my taper was hell and I had to quit exercising. Lost a lot of weight, muscle mass. Still have athletic physique but I'm a shadow of my old self. In the middle of my journey I've made some attempts to go back to my old work out routine. I think my body was not ready. It fired up my symptoms. Now the lower and lower I go with my dose I feel better every day. I miss sports so much, the feeling of accomplishment, rush of endorphins. I hope slow adaptation is the key. From tomorrow I'm starting to rebuild myself. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Some inspiration from my idol. Greg Plitt http://youtu.be/Wo6i7TD50Os

Just bought "Spark"by John Ratey on ibooks  :thumbsup:

Hi all...this isn't pointed at anyone in particular.  please just keep your symptoms you may be having to a brief overview if it is due to the exercising or you noticed an improvement of them from exercising.  I have received several messages from members who no longer feel safe reading this thread.  There are many places to get answers or advice on all the other crap we are dealing with. You can even PM someone from here but this thread just needs to be a positive place regarding all things exercise. 

Thx!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for letting us know Drew. We want this to be a safe, encouraging place for everyone as we move towards healing.

[f8...]
I have always been super athletic as well, but I have definitely had to watch the amount of time I spend doing cardio. I ran for 2 hours last week and felt amazing afterwards, but definitely laid me out and revved up my symptoms. I need to get back on it, so swimming and walk/run for no longer than 35 min is what I'm going to try. I'm also going to do it every other day, as my body needs a little more time to recover these days. Days off I really try to focus on light yoga, massage and Epsom salt baths to help my joints and overall recovery.

Hey everybody , im finally well enough to excersise again ! In my younger day i was a sponsored skateboarder and would spend hours on the ramps and was super fit. As you get older and being an adult your work and responsibilities take over and you lose motivation. 3 days ago i dusted off my board and after 3 years hit the ramps :) wow what a feeling! I only spent 10 minutes rolling around and went down again today, its like i found a piece of me thats been missing without realising.

During my taper and up until last week i was pretty much bedridden so this is a huge step and super excited to get my life back on track. Happy days  :) time to lose the 10kg i gained in withdrawal

Hey everybody , im finally well enough to excersise again ! In my younger day i was a sponsored skateboarder and would spend hours on the ramps and was super fit. As you get older and being an adult your work and responsibilities take over and you lose motivation. 3 days ago i dusted off my board and after 3 years hit the ramps :) wow what a feeling! I only spent 10 minutes rolling around and went down again today, its like i found a piece of me thats been missing without realising.

During my taper and up until last week i was pretty much bedridden so this is a huge step and super excited to get my life back on track. Happy days  :) time to lose the 10kg i gained in withdrawal

Wow that's awsome dude! Way to go!  :thumbsup:

Great news Lockie...it is sweet when we reclaim a part of ourselves. 

okay...after having a tough wave and a bad experiment with feverfew to help my migraines I am feeling well enought to get out there again.  Later today I will either eliptical for twenty min or do a three mile hike(if I can).    Been two-three weeks and I am happy to be back.  Hope all is well.

Hi BBs

Before benzos I was a sports freak. Gym was my second home, I was an avid runner, swimmer, bodybuilder...you name it. The beginning of my taper was hell and I had to quit exercising. Lost a lot of weight, muscle mass. Still have athletic physique but I'm a shadow of my old self. In the middle of my journey I've made some attempts to go back to my old work out routine. I think my body was not ready. It fired up my symptoms. Now the lower and lower I go with my dose I feel better every day. I miss sports so much, the feeling of accomplishment, rush of endorphins. I hope slow adaptation is the key. From tomorrow I'm starting to rebuild myself. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Some inspiration from my idol. Greg Plitt http://youtu.be/Wo6i7TD50Os

Just bought "Spark"by John Ratey on ibooks  :thumbsup:

I hear you bro....This was me just last year, now I have trouble walking to the bathroom. I just want that back so bad (the ability, not the look)

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j70/Flick_Starz/sunrise%201%20of%201-3_zpssifd3nq4.jpg

Hey CP

You're lookin' good there, man! It's all going to come back. Just do whatever your body lets you do, don't go past just a minimal increase in symptoms in your workouts. Lean tissue goes away in the early healing stages and comes back at a much slower rate than we want, but it does come back. I couldn't do any kind of exercise for the first 4 or 5 months of tapering and had to start with a ridiculously minimal workout. I'd say it was well over a year before I could bang away on the weights at my previous level.

Bart

I know it can come back, Bart....It's just so incredibly frustrating, especially because I know how beneficial it can be for healing. At 6 months post I was hoping to be a little further along. I think the most distressing part is being unable to perform functions we used to do so effortlessly.

I know it can come back, Bart....It's just so incredibly frustrating, especially because I know how beneficial it can be for healing. At 6 months post I was hoping to be a little further along. I think the most distressing part is being unable to perform functions we used to do so effortlessly.

I hated it too. Just a long, ugly process. Moving along at the pace of a glacier. It seemed forever before I could do squats and deadlifts. My quads are still lagging due to the fact that I could work smaller body parts long before the bigger ones. Let's hear it for calves and forearms.

CrazyPants-When I c/t'd I dropped 7 pds in one week. I weighed 104 pds and all of my muscle definition was gone. I had hanging skin on my upper arms and legs and this was beyond quite disturbing. Rest assure that within one month I started to gain back the weight that I lost and my muscles came back. Like Bart said this is an ugly process but I promise you it's temporary and you will heal in time. It does get better.

I find at my present timeline my brain wants to do stuff but my body can't.i used to feel like doing nothing.    Most of the anxiety/panic is so much less.  Wether exercise or being out doing things. My body and ability to handle stress are still slowly improving.  Like everyone says...slowly.  I'm home so much more than I want to be but I know it's best for me.

I find at my present timeline my brain wants to do stuff but my body can't.i used to feel like doing nothing.    Most of the anxiety/panic is so much less.  Wether exercise or being out doing things. My body and ability to handle stress are still slowly improving.  Like everyone says...slowly.  I'm home so much more than I want to be but I know it's best for me.

I find my brain, while foggy and disconnected, is generally ready to go, it's just when I try to, my body, or my perception of things gets in the way, which is what really frustrates me. I come across this post of yours a lot, Drew, and I think this is what I experience on a daily basis in my arms and legs....Makes exercising impossible. Or at least, its one of the things that makes it feel that way.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=119857.0

So. Tired. I was only able to exercise 23 minutes before I couldn't stand it any more. I feel super weak today and discouraged. Surely there's a corner to turn soon.

So. Tired. I was only able to exercise 23 minutes before I couldn't stand it any more. I feel super weak today and discouraged. Surely there's a corner to turn soon.

MT, I think you should literally pat yourself on the back!  When you don't feel like exercising, 23 minutes is a lot! Look at what you DID do...You are gradually improving and continuing to head in the right direction...And Sometimes I think even our bodies at their healthiest will tell us we just need a break.  Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up.  Congratulate yourself!  :thumbsup:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ga...]
    • [...]
    • [En...]
    • [hu...]
    • [an...]
    • [El...]
    • [Be...]
    • [Ea...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [gu...]
    • [Ma...]