Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

sorry chris...your comment about the alien made me crack up.  I am sidelined with adrenaline rushes throughout the day in this wave.  All ive sone is very basic stuff a few times a week.  Hopefully breaking soon as this has been a bear of a wave.  Been crappy except for brief respites for about a month. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Drew and Chris, I'm having a resurgence of some symptoms too. So very tired. I haven't been able to exercise since Wednesday when I did and was wiped out for the rest of the day. I'm hoping I can at least get 30 minutes today. Ever since I learned about that Duke exercise and depression study I do all that I can to get at the least 3, 30 minute exercise sessions each week. I hope the aliens leave us all alone soon--unless they want to use some of that advanced species magic on us to heal us ;)

Mt...I'm not sure exercise is helpful to us when we are so symptomatic.  If we can do it great but if I'm getting hit all day after or my symptoms increase that's my brain telling me it's not wanted at this time. Not everyone will agree with me but it's true for me.

IMO it's imperative to listen to your body for it talks to you while in recovery. Everything about Benzo healing is not linear and it effects everyone differently, that is probably what is so frustrating about healing. Most of you know that I am a big fan of "Spark" by Dr. Ratey however I just read another incredible book called "Rewire Your Brain" by John Arden another must read!!

Wishing everyone a speedy healing.

Fran

Miss you guys....Unable to exercise at all, at the moment, walking is a task. Been glad to see some of you healing and others have healed....Can't wait til I can start at least moving again. At the moment I'm scared to get hurt due to my lack of balance. So many have messaged me that I made a post to update. I'm linking it to everywhere I used to be active for anyone interested or concerned. Hoping for continued healing to all! http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=139513.msg1871386#msg1871386

So strange how I see people getting worse as time goes by kinda discouraging I had a huge setback at 5-6 months then struggled to get back took a few months but I found that daily exercise is important for me to be able to walk I'm hoping I don't get kicked to the ground again

So strange how I see people getting worse as time goes by kinda discouraging I had a huge setback at 5-6 months then struggled to get back took a few months but I found that daily exercise is important for me to be able to walk I'm hoping I don't get kicked to the ground again

Chris, I consider myself as getting better. I had an awful wave from about month 5-6.5 but then my symptoms eased up. Some days I'm more tired than others but it's not clear to me how much of that is wd and how much is prexisting CFS. When I can I push myself (because I don't ever feel energetic) but I try to listen to what my body says when the fatigue is crushing. My head is much better when I'm able to exercise. I managed it both of the last two days and I'm really happy with that. We're all getting there day by day.

Yeah...I'm definitely better as those around me keep telling me but at this point it's more like wtf?  I've been dealing with this for over 40 months including taper so it's just so exhausting. It's the daily grind and false hopes throughout the process.  Lots of things are gone but the ones left still suck bad.  That's part of  the problem too. 

I've  also read in the success stories that the 12-18 month is the toughest(not that any of it's easy). They say you've been at it so long and this is right before real healing can accelerate for many.  You get this sense of is it how I'm stuck? Am I exception? What is me?  In the beginning you can brush off those thoughts easier than once your out here. 

All in all I've improved and I know I will heal it's just shitty as fuck :laugh:

I'd say I've improved also only by pushing myself tho if I would of layed in bed like my body was tellin me to is stay ther it's important for us to stay moving to increase autonomic function but it's also brutal some day I'm glad I've been up with my exercise went on a bike ride last night pretty far for me then came home and worked legs for a hour felt alright till I layed dwn then air hunger started to creep in can't stand it

I'd say I've improved also only by pushing myself tho if I would of layed in bed like my body was tellin me to is stay ther it's important for us to stay moving to increase autonomic function but it's also brutal some day I'm glad I've been up with my exercise went on a bike ride last night pretty far for me then came home and worked legs for a hour felt alright till I layed dwn then air hunger started to creep in can't stand it

Chris GREAT job!!! If you can please read the book Spark by John Ratey. The brain heals faster when you are moving. Laying in bed is not conducive for the brain and healing. Whenever I had a wave I pushed myself to keep moving and it was worth it.

Cool I'll have to check it out I just do what the people with dysautonomia recommend seems to help healthy diet avoid stress and keep moving

Cool I'll have to check it out I just do what the people with dysautonomia recommend seems to help healthy diet avoid stress and keep moving

I don't know anything about dysautonomia ( I never even heard of it). I have been eating very healthy for the last 5  years. (Low fat, low carbs, low sugar).

Look it up I'm pretty sure everyone on here is experiencing a form of dysautonomia many people think it's only pots but dysautonomia is a umbrella term used to describe autonomic nervous system malfunction

My ANS is probably pretty messed up too.  Hey all - I joined a gym for two months, and it was GREAT, but now I can't go anymore and I'm here in my tiny apartment.  Have dumbbells and will try to carve out a space where I can actually work out here...tomorrow.  Haven't exercised in a week, and I was exercising 4 or 5 times a week feeling much better, except for the nerve pain.  Hoping I'll gain some motivation to exercise again.  Have to do it.  BTW, I'm 5 months out now.  Hanging in there, but plenty of symptoms.

Look it up I'm pretty sure everyone on here is experiencing a form of dysautonomia many people think it's only pots but dysautonomia is a umbrella term used to describe autonomic nervous system malfunction

I'm healed hence I am not looking it up. My advice is to stay away from the internet while healing. The internet is a wonderful source of information however it can be scary while recovering from a Benzo. :)

Not the Internet it's very well known that barbiturates,alcohol,Benzos,ssri's and big list of other drugs cause dysautonomia a lot of people get better in time not all and sum people improve but not all the way I try to not think about it . Drs r very unfair to dysautonomia it's kinda new to media field but if u find a good cardiologist or neurologist u might get the diagnosis they usually run a bunch of tests to diagnose also mayo clinic and Vanderbilt have very good clinics but r costly

Snurkel I had a huge wave at 5-6 month mark I couldn't do anything that's wen my pots got really bad just ease back into it ull b back in the gym soon

Yeah, i should probably sign back up, but it's expensive and im trying to save. might go back. I just cant seem to get my motivation going, but i'm planning to workout today when i get home from work. I really loved working out, though it might have given me some nerve pain flareup. Did wonders for depression, though. Felt strong. Its a good feeling.

Yeah, some people say we wont all heal from this, but so many have. Seems to just take a long time for many of us. I try to avoid horror stories on the internet. Im also not in the mood to see doctors right now, though i should get a checkup. They really dont acknowledge benzo withdrawal, and ive talked to a few about it.

Got some workout ideas online. Weight free, no gym required. Hmm...

I'm using trx straps ther awesome

Back when I was well I made a set of those out of ratchet straps, they are really versatile and really good for a lot of bodyweight stuff.

Those TRX straps look interesting. Are they easy to set up?

I go to an exercise class twice a week because it forces me to be around people and lift weights afterwards. I wasn't doing well with making myself do weights before. Then I walk, dance-dance revolution, do some yoga and other strengthening exercises several times a week. Today I made it 90 minutes with all of that. I'm hoping for some deeper sleep tonight.

Those TRX straps look interesting. Are they easy to set up?

I go to an exercise class twice a week because it forces me to be around people and lift weights afterwards. I wasn't doing well with making myself do weights before. Then I walk, dance-dance revolution, do some yoga and other strengthening exercises several times a week. Today I made it 90 minutes with all of that. I'm hoping for some deeper sleep tonight.

Hi MTFAN-the great thing about TRX is that you can use it anywhere (I travel with it). As long as you have a sturdy door you can attach it. I bring it to my gym and I attach it to a sturdy pole. GREAT for butt squats.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Ct...]
    • [La...]
    • [ka...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [Li...]
    • [gu...]
    • [No...]
    • [Av...]
    • [jo...]
    • [Ta...]
    • [Sh...]