Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Gypsygal-I'm glad that you are feeling great. I didn't do 60 butt squats at once. (I think I would have been dead):) I usually do them in sets and with really good techno music blasting:)

Why don't you try the elliptical on a low resistance? Everything in moderation.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Gypsygal-I'm glad that you are feeling great. I didn't do 60 butt squats at once. (I think I would have been dead):) I usually do them in sets and with really good techno music blasting:)

Why don't you try the elliptical on a low resistance? Everything in moderation.

I don't have access to elliptical, and don't feel comfy going to a gym, I thought maybe Pilates might help just YouTube something and get moving. This body has been way to sedentary for too long.

When I started back on the weights I could only manage 5 sets now 2 weeks later I can handle 20 sets so that is encouraging.

Gypsygal

How do you do body planks with weights?

Lay on the floor with your body facing down and support your body with one arm and flex your toes (like you are going to do a push up). With the other arm bent use a small weight and bend your arm up and down while your body is off the ground and then switch arms.....It's the BEST!!

Thanks Fran! I'm gonna try this tomorrow :)

Gypsy,

If you haven't exercised in a long time, I would suggest just walking at first, see how you do, and then add some weights.

Good morning everyone! I decided to step up my work out on my elliptical today. I increased the resistance to 6 and with one arm extended to the side of my body and I incorporated arm circles. I'm one big ball of sweat but it felt great. Hello BDNF!

Glad I was referred to this thread.  I've been running or elliptical for 35 years so am in good shape physically. I've said for years that exercise has kept me sane. It is the only way my anxiety can be somewhat managed during benzo withdrawal. I try to make myself do 45 minutes to an hour everyday. When the anxiety is high, I can really get some speed going.  My anxiety manifests physically.  I literally feel like I'm going to explode. Movement is the only thing that helps deplete the energy. Sometimes it's as good as a pill.

[f9...]

Glad I was referred to this thread.  I've been running or elliptical for 35 years so am in good shape physically. I've said for years that exercise has kept me sane. It is the only way my anxiety can be somewhat managed during benzo withdrawal. I try to make myself do 45 minutes to an hour everyday. When the anxiety is high, I can really get some speed going.  My anxiety manifests physically.  I literally feel like I'm going to explode. Movement is the only thing that helps deplete the energy. Sometimes it's as good as a pill.

This is exactly how I feel. Makes for good, hard runs though. Ran 3miles today and swam in the ocean. Feel good. Thought I was going to crawl out of my skin before hand.

ok....i am back after letting my cns settle back down after I overdid it on Saturday. Still not settled back down to baseline yet. Today I did 30 min on elliptical.  I kept my HR in the 135 range and didn't push it. 

I was doing hill hikes up to 3.5 miles about 4-5 times a week. Had to take a little time off (a month) but started back today at 1.5 miles. I was weight training too about 3x a week. Looking forward to getting back to that. I was pushing it a bit before but I think I'll do a bit less intense weight sessions and focus more on some endurance (which will help me maintain muscle anyway). Before I started back with the weights I was doing great with the walking. But I love to weight train so adding that in was nice. I did notice I was feeling pretty great and I suspect it helped me a lot. :)

• 3 weeks later...

great to see this thread! i hear that the gaba is needed for muscles so even if we lift weights does that mean we will just atrophy cause the body uses up the muscle for fuel when theres no fat? i have no bodyfat and still have some muscle showing from my workout days but im bony looking now even so

wondering about a workout plan. i just had a 40gram protien shake which was a little too much at once i think...stomach upset

Id be happy to even put fat on but im just not into junk food...any ideas?

Good morning everyone! I decided to step up my work out on my elliptical today. I increased the resistance to 6 and with one arm extended to the side of my body and I incorporated arm circles. I'm one big ball of sweat but it felt great. Hello BDNF!

YOU GO GIRL!

Sorry all in a nasty wave. Not much in the way of exercise for me to report.

Waves can be so discouraging. Thank goodness they eventually pass. For most of us this is a real up and down thing. I had a wave that ended a couple of weeks ago that lasted for over a month. I went backwards on everything. I'm finally getting back to where I was in some areas with exercise. I've regained my strength for weights but not all of my stamina for walking and aerobics.

Kris, our muscles may need GABA but we probably have enough to get by. I've been able to put on muscle during wd but not as much or as quickly as I used to be able. I had the weight loss thing for quite a while. I have a best friend who is a dietician and she taught me some tricks. When you have smoothies you can add some avocado or olive oil. I added as much as a tablespoon to most of mine for months. I also drank generic ensure plus. To be honest I was losing so much weight so fast for a very long time that I started treating myself to candy with my smoothies as well. I was getting self conscious about being boney. And even though I didn't have any appetite there was some pleasure in the taste. I stopped that as soon as I leveled out.

[27...]

It's interesting how different bodies respond to benzo withdrawal.  Lots of people report weight loss and muscle wasting, some gain weight, while others stay the same, and which group we fit into doesn't seem to depend on the difficulty of our withdrawal.  I've had a fairly rough 6 month run since jumping -- lots of panic and anxiety with profound insomnia in the early months, but I never lost weight.  I actually gained a few pounds through comfort eating, but have worked that off now.  I began at a good healthy weight with decent muscle mass and have exercised throughout.  My exercise tolerance has definitely decreased, but I still do what I can.  I'm running less because of summer heat (mid 90s and humid here) and WD fatigue, but still hike, do 40 to 50 minute cardio workouts on the elliptical or arc trainer, lift free weights, etc.  My muscle mass has increased, and a really nice thing that I'm just now starting to see is that when I run rocky trails, my balance is improving.  Benzos had a big negative impact on my balance over the years, so I'm relieved to see that correcting.   

Overall, I have to agree with MTfan's statement that we probably have enough GABA to get by.  I feel for those who are less able to tolerate physical activity, but even walking and some moderate strength training is possible for most.

Kris1967 -- I do protein shakes too, but never more than 25 grams/serving, and even at that, I can't do whey or soy protein anymore.  At the risk of dying from brown rice/heavy metal poisoning (is there any clean food left on the planet?), I'm using Garden of Life Raw Protein right now.  I was using Vega Sport Performance Protein and digested it with no problems, but it was too sweet tasting and also pricy.  It's still a very popular one that lots of people love.  My basic shake consists of 1.5 cups of milk, a serving of protein powder, a cup of blueberries (off season, I get frozen organic berries from Costco), and a frozen banana.  I also eat a serving of walnuts for omega 3 fat, but MT's suggestion of adding oil would work too.  I like nuts, so prefer them for the same effect as oil.  A healthy snack that you could try instead of candy is LaraBars.  They're just dates, nuts, and whatever they're flavored with.  I love "coconut cream pie" and "key lime pie," but some of the others are good too.  220 calories per bar.   

great to see this thread! i hear that the gaba is needed for muscles so even if we lift weights does that mean we will just atrophy cause the body uses up the muscle for fuel when theres no fat? i have no bodyfat and still have some muscle showing from my workout days but im bony looking now even so

wondering about a workout plan. i just had a 40gram protien shake which was a little too much at once i think...stomach upset

Id be happy to even put fat on but im just not into junk food...any ideas?

My daily shake leaves out the protein supplement (some of which are very high in free glutamate).

Drew's tasty ass shake:

1 cup of organic unsweetened almond milk

I banana

Handful of blueberries

2tbs of organic fine ground flax seed

2tbs of trader joes raw almond butter(their brand is 1/2 the price of others)

You get a good dose of protein from almond butter and almond milk

[27...]

That does indeed sound like a tasty ass shake, Drew  :laugh:

My protein powder doesn't contain any of the ingredients listed in free glutamate articles.  It had been listed as high in heavy metals, but according to the company (and one questionable testing lab), levels were supposed to be brought within acceptable ranges by June 2015.  An article came out last week saying that kale grown in many areas contains unacceptably high levels of heavy metals...  It's hard to know what's safe and what's not.  And then there's this: http://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/heavy-metal-hysteria#.VarC_2ClXEM 

I use the protein powder because I'm 90% vegetarian (ovo-lacto).  Hard to meet my needs without some sort of supplement. 

Does anyone have info on wich exercise is best I've heard mixed thoughts mostly not to over do it cause of over exerting adrenals can worsen and prolong healing

Hi Chris... I just discussed this with Baylissas of Recovery and Renewal.  Whenever I overdo it I start a new cycle of adrenaline rushes.  She suggested walking every other day and not to push it.  I just keep my hr no higher than the 130's now. It's hard for me as I know exercise is healthy but at this point in MY recovery more isn't better.

Does anyone have info on wich exercise is best I've heard mixed thoughts mostly not to over do it cause of over exerting adrenals can worsen and prolong healing

No two people have the same work out. My daily work out consisted of using the elliptical, treadmill, weights, jumping jacks, TRX butt squats and I recently started body building. My advice is to listen to your body. My body craved exercise during my recovery and the more I worked out the longer my body wanted me to do it.

I use trx also seems to b helping to keep the pots away but I feel like I can't breathe some days at the end of my workout

I do hikes and elliptical.  I did several high energy workouts and it did add to my symptoms. It is a very personal thing. 

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Sl...]
    • [Ki...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Ct...]
    • [SB...]
    • [jo...]
    • [La...]
    • [Es...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [Os...]