Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

42  kgs,  do you think it might a problem?

41usually.

Thanks for your advices folks!

oMG Anezka...

its really not good

do you have no appetite or it doesn't matter how much you eat?

v

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I wanted to share an email that I received from Dr. Ratey the author of Sparks. Starting today I incorporated jumping jacks and burpee's into my work out......Keep exercising everyone!!

Fran,

You are asking great questions.  Recent research shows that exercise plays a huge role in GABA.  Elizabeth Gould from Princeton has shown that in exercising rats, they grow new cells in the hippocampus that are GABA containing.  As well neuroscience  is honing in on the hippocampus as the major site controlling anxiety and panic as it contains most of the receptors for cortisol— new findings.  So by chronic exercise we make more GABA nerve cells which raises are stress threshold (helping to fight unwanted stress).  I do not know any literature on Benzos, exercise, GABA-  but I am certain that long term Benzos  do lower the GABA response and the advice you received of even more exercise is a good one.  I think I would have added the idea of HIIT or higher intensity exercise for brief periods of your workout. 

Let me know how things turn out.

Dr.  Ratey

Thanks for sharing that Fran  :thumbsup: I really believe my exercise routine has kept my benzo w/d sxs minimal.

Hi Ingrid-Ditto and I c/t'd....Glad you are doing well.

Fran

[ba...]

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I posted. I have really gone downhill these past couple days. It's seens I have all the symptoms all over again. I can can't ride my bike or do much of anything. I'm slipping back to my to my old ways which were not very good. I really wish I could do some form of exercise but I'm just so sad I can hardly functions. I had such great plans for myself as far as working out and being a good hard worker my job but now I feel like a total mess. Something else really horrible has been happening. I have been having the worst cog fog on the planet. I feel safe to tell you folks because you are all some of the nicest and most supportive people so please no one laugh. I having been having very embarrassing experiences lately. Like I will go out in public and forget to zip my fly. When I go to a public restroom I will leave the back dress tucked into my underwear. Please no one laugh at me. I'm so spacey and dizzy all the time. I am under so much stress. I know part of my problens have a lot to do with me having so much on my mind and my relationship with my partner. She is not supportive and we fight all the time. I hardly get any sleep. I wish I could take some of this stuff off my plate so I could concentrate on not making a FOOL of myself. Sorry for the rant. Thanks for being here and listening. Just knowing BBis here for me keeps me going.

Mouse....one of the hardest things is the non linear nature of healing. We can be fine for a month and then in hell for the next two weeks.  It's all fits and starts.  Sorry you are having a tough go of it. Keep your eye on the prize.

Btw-I made my fiancé coffee yesterday and forgot the coffee.  I just brewed hot water and poured into the creamer in the cup.  You can make fun of me :smitten:

[ba...]

Mouse....one of the hardest things is the non linear nature of healing. We can be fine for a month and then in hell for the next two weeks.  It's all fits and starts.  Sorry you are having a tough go of it. Keep your eye on the prize.

Btw-I made my fiancé coffee yesterday and forgot the coffee.  I just brewed hot water and poured into the creamer in the cup.  You can make fun of me :smitten:

Thanks drew. At least no one was around to see you do it but I know :laugh:. I think if I slow down a bit I think before I leave the house or go out in public I can save myself the humiliation.

Woke up this morning only to discover I have a slow eye. Very scared!

Perhaps you should post your comment under post withdrawal recovery support?

[ba...]

Woke up this morning only to discover I have a slow eye. Very scared!

Perhaps you should post your comment under post withdrawal recovery support?

But I'm not post withdrwal. I posted it on general support. I just need my hand help now.

Hi.

I ran 1.2 miles today.  Up to 6 miles walking a day and 5 to 10 miles a night on the bike but more of a liesure ride..  This past winter I was exercise intolerant.  When I would walk on the treadmill I would get pins and needles all over my body and teeth.  I am so happy to make it this far.  Things seemed to be getting better since I started exercising harder and slowing down my taper.  I still have head symptoms though but the head symptoms are improving.  Is this a sign of major healing?

[ba...]

Hi.

I ran 1.2 miles today.  Up to 6 miles walking a day and 5 to 10 miles a night on the bike but more of a liesure ride..  This past winter I was exercise intolerant.  When I would walk on the treadmill I would get pins and needles all over my body and teeth.  I am so happy to make it this far.  Things seemed to be getting better since I started exercising harder and slowing down my taper.  I still have head symptoms though but the head symptoms are improving.  Is this a sign og major healing?

Nice job Arcade. I bet it felt so good to run! Before you know it your sxs's will be gone.

[ba...]

Hi.

I ran 1.2 miles today.  Up to 6 miles walking a day and 5 to 10 miles a night on the bike but more of a liesure ride..  This past winter I was exercise intolerant.  When I would walk on the treadmill I would get pins and needles all over my body and teeth.  I am so happy to make it this far.  Things seemed to be getting better since I started exercising harder and slowing down my taper.  I still have head symptoms though but the head symptoms are improving.  Is this a sign og major healing?

Thanks for asking arcade. It that what you would call it? It's not lazy. It's my eyeball. One moves at normal speed and the other is slow. I'm so freaked that people will stare I had to miss work. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to see if it is Benzo related.

Nice job Arcade. I bet it felt so good to run! Before you know it your sxs's will be gone.

Thanks anon.  How is your lazy eye?

Anon, the cognitive part of this can be pretty bizarre. I forgot how to put on a bra at one point, how to operate the remote, how to put in earrings (I'm in my freaking 50s), and yesterday when we were out and it was time to tip I completely forgot how to do any form of math. Overall I'm seeing my cog fog improve but it's choppy.

I couldn't exercise all of last week because of a wicked cold but I did for an hour yesterday. It felt good and empowering but then I woke up today with new could symptoms. ARgh. This super sensitivity is for the birds. It's so easy to overdo and it changes from day to day.

Hi all

I am 50 years young lol, need advice on losing weight. I used to weigh 50kg/110lb and since being on amytriptyline along with benzo have now gone up to 76 kg/167lb just  had my liver tests which weren't great. So I'm on selenium 100 mcg, 35000mg milk thistle, 1000 mg taurine which excites the system to no end, hopefully the body will adjust. Have cut out all sugars( which I had been craving)drink only water with fresh lemon juice to give that liver a jump start. Eat only fresh fruit/veg and heaps of protein.

I need to exercise but haven't done any regularly for a couple of years. My metabolism used to be extremely fast, now more like an old slug.

Never been this weight EVER!! If I could get down to even 60 kg I would feel so much better.

Look forward to any advice.

Gypsy  :smitten:

Hi all

I am 50 years young lol, need advice on losing weight. I used to weigh 50kg/110lb and since being on amytriptyline along with benzo have now gone up to 76 kg/167lb just  had my liver tests which weren't great. So I'm on selenium 100 mcg, 35000mg milk thistle, 1000 mg taurine which excites the system to no end, hopefully the body will adjust. Have cut out all sugars( which I had been craving)drink only water with fresh lemon juice to give that liver a jump start. Eat only fresh fruit/veg and heaps of protein.

I need to exercise but haven't done any regularly for a couple of years. My metabolism used to be extremely fast, now more like an old slug.

Never been this weight EVER!! If I could get down to even 60 kg I would feel so much better.

Look forward to any advice.

Gypsy  :smitten:

The benzos can change our metabolism and make it difficult to lose weight. It will all go back to normal as we heal. I have been thin my whole life, and gained 7 pounds during w/d-- I also craved sugary/carb foods. I could not lose the weight at all. I ate healthy and exercised everyday, but the weight would not budge... Then one day out of no where I dropped the weight literally over night.... Our bodies will go back to normal when they decide it's time, until then just eat healthy and exercise . Best of luck, jenny

Hi alL.

I felt really good yesterday morning and went for my hill hike and decided to jog the second part of the trail.  Dumb move!  I was sick for a week w a cold and haven't even exercised.  Why I thought it would be a good idea to jog and get my HR in the 160's is beyond me. I haven't even done that when exercising regularly for a few months.  After finishing and my hr came down a bit I started getting powerful adrenaline surges.  Ugh!  My hr stayed high all day, was dizzy, and just not there.  Today my eyes are killing me and I feel front of head weird.  Hard to explain as always but pressure and fog fog.  Hoping this fades soon as I can't concentrate or focus on anything. 

Hoping this wave ends soon. 

Hi alL.

I felt really good yesterday morning and went for my hill hike and decided to jog the second part of the trail.  Dumb move!  I was sick for a week w a cold and haven't even exercised.  Why I thought it would be a good idea to jog and get my HR in the 160's is beyond me. I haven't even done that when exercising regularly for a few months.  After finishing and my hr came down a bit I started getting powerful adrenaline surges.  Ugh!  My hr stayed high all day, was dizzy, and just not there.  Today my eyes are killing me and I feel front of head weird.  Hard to explain as always but pressure and fog fog.  Hoping this fades soon as I can't concentrate or focus on anything. 

Hoping this wave ends soon.

Ugh. Sorry Drew. But it's awesome that you tried to get the HRight up there. That's when optimal BDNF magic happens.

How do you do body planks with weights?

Lay on the floor with your body facing down and support your body with one arm and flex your toes (like you are going to do a push up). With the other arm bent use a small weight and bend your arm up and down while your body is off the ground and then switch arms.....It's the BEST!!

Thanks AF and Jenny

I really like doing weights, which I have started doing in the last fortnight. My doc wants me to add cardio. I wasn't sure if it was the benzos that caused the weight gain, when I first started taking Ativan I lost heaps of weight and was stick thin, but then when the amytriptyline  was added started piling it on, I do know when I start to do weights I add weight/ bulk, same with walking for some reason if I power walk 3 km my shoulders seem to get very broad like a swimmers. Might just have to keep going in the hope that when I lose weight the broadness will leave with it.

At this stage of the game as long as I feel good I am happy with that, I haven't felt this normal in like 9 years, never thought I would recover at all so this is a bit of a blessing really.

AF 60 butt squats impressive, I can only manage about 20.

Gypsy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [hu...]
    • [No...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Na...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [El...]
    • [Le...]