Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Drew is right, fruit juice is not good for you. In early w/d I couldn't even eat fruit because the natural sugar was just too much for me.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[9b...]

Not added sugar, though, it's pure fruit. 

60 calories and 12 grams sugar/8oz. 

OJ has 100 calories and 20 grams sugar. 

I don't normally drink juice, but might drink this after a summer run like last night's.

Tybee-m not preaching one any or another but "added sugar or sugar" in juice form will still be the same to your body. When we eat whole fruits the fiber and other stuff balance out how fast the sugar hits us.  Drinking a cup of orange juice is almost as bad as soda.  Now eating the Orange is a whole different story.

If you enjoy it and feel better drinking it please do.  Lord knows it's hard enough to find things that don't whack us. 

I'm still laying low as I'm wiped from the cold. Good news is no uptick in benzo stuff.

Arcade-maybe short gentle walks or some light yoga poses in the house?  Tai Chi?

Hi Drew -- I absolutely agree with you that it's better to get fructose along with the fiber in whole fruit, but the single exception for me is during or after a long run (an hour or more) when I'm really depleted.  At that point, I want sugars that'll get absorbed easily and quickly, preferably along with some electrolytes.  That's why we use gels (approx 20g sugar per pack, up to 3/hour) during marathons and other long runs.  I rarely drink juice, and when I do, it's usually diluted with water.  The watermelon water sounds like it would be a great post run beverage, but not something I'd drink otherwise.       

Hello folks,

I'd like an advice to begin doing some exercise.

I've been bedridden for almost a year, I've got muscle and join pain through my entire body, I can barely walk, I can't use my arms much neither and my feet hurt too much.

When I push myself too much the pain increases the following days.

What kind of exercice do you recomend in my situation? Any book, website...?

I think I need a rehabilitation programm or something similar.

Thank you in advanced.

OanezkaO, when I was in your shoes last year I met with my doctor and we decided on PT. I had joint and muscle pain so that helped with the referral but I believe they can do it for weakness as well. They started me out doing exercises, for example, that other people would do with weights but I was bench pressing just empty hands and it was challenging. After several months I became stronger and worked my way up to being able to lift heavy weights in a weight room, walk for 90 minutes, go to exercise classes, and so on. If there's no way to go to PT you can buy exercise bands at places like walmart or athletic stores that come with programs that tell you what to do. You could begin doing the exercises without using the resistance bands then work up to the easiest band and so on. As for aerobics, I have CFS and have had to rehabilitate myself several times. When I'm starting out I walk 5-10 minutes daily (or most days) and move it up in increments of 5 minutes every week or two depending on how I feel. I've also used a zumba DVD that has a tutoring section on it and just done the teaching part (not full dancing) because it's easier.

I'm having a setback this weekend because I finally caught a cold (so Drew and I are cold buddies). I haven't had one for a couple of years. I'm shocked by how a relatively mild cold has stopped me dead. Somehow the symptoms on top of wd multiplies everything. I hate not exercising but getting out of a chair today is difficult.

Hello folks,

I've been bedridden for almost a year, I've got muscle and join pain through my entire body, I can barely walk, I can't use my arms much neither and my feet hurt too much.

Thank you in advanced.

To sum up you're still on 10 mg diazepam (under benzo) and are in a lot of pain.

Exercising "hard or at normal intensity for people that do not take benzo" will only make the joint pain worse.

You won't be able to fully recuperate and might even get worst by aggravating some symptoms such as Insomnia.

However it it could be sensible to slowly (progressively) start walking on a daily basis. I know it sounds light but trust me (or not :P ) it can be challenging while being on benzo and tapering or benzo free in the first few months.

What would walking do to you, well just prepare slowly your post benzo life, regain walking/exercising ability and help your Central Nervous System to slowly get back to his former (healthy) self. (What people here say feeling 100% or so healed).

http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/01/walking/

You could use this reading in your case (in fact every people in withdrawal or suffering from benzo could benefit from this reading).

I talk from experience, (I took Ativan "candy" too ), a few months back I was sleeping between 0 to 3/4 hours sometimes a little more. And now usually 5 to 6H30 hours (in two or 3 bouts) with sometimes 7 to 8hours of sleep (very rare right now), and sometimes 3 to 4 hours when i go to the gym and I act dumb (like weightlifting more than 45 mins ^^) but hey I couldn't even lift 10mins with withdrawal symptoms 2 months ago.

Walking really help. When you will completely off benzo, you will see that when you're walking 30 mins to a couple hours you feel like relaxed as if you've taken an Ativan. Hence you know that your body is producing his own inhibitory neurotransmitters etc.

Good Luck for your taper. I hope it will be the less painful possible.

Maybe others have talked about this, but I'm wondering how to get past it. I've just started walking again, 45 minutes per day. Now what I'm finding is that I get really bad anxiety spikes in the evenings after exercising. I've avoided exercising because it either makes me too dizzy, I get anxiety spikes, I become depressed, or I have all kinds of symptoms ramping up.

Do the symptoms go away with continued exercising? I can't handle not exercising, yet I can't handle the bad symptoms either.

Does anyone have pointers on this? It's very frustrating.

Thanks!

Nolan, thanks for sharing the Samet link. Interesting and helpful. It's encouraging to read that others had the same feeling, like it was impossible to walk or exercise, but then did and had a good outcome.

Terry, I've read other's accounts that exercise ramped them up. Some of those reported it improving when they either decreased the intensity or duration of the exercise. It can be tough to do when you like the exercise and get some temporary relief from it but it's worth trying. I know I have to watch it with intensity. I hope this helps.

Thanks, MTfan. I'll have to see how much anxiety I can take and then change the duration or intensity if I need to. 

Hi Terry - I was completely unable to exercise for close to a year. Then I started it back up and went VERY slowly. Started with 5 min a week, pathetic I know. I too would have a terrible uptick in sx, even with 5 min....dizzy, floaty/boat, blurred vision, anxiety. I kept going. On to 10 min, the 20, etc. I would do each increment for a week or two until I acclimated. Now I'm up to 40 minutes, very brisk. I no longer get any uptick at all, in fact, I feel much better for hours afterwards.

Maybe you need to get back to the basics? Start slow, maybe 10 min everyday and work your way back up to 40 min? This is such a slug fest  :tickedoff:

Kiddo, thanks for what you wrote! I know I need to go slower than what I'm doing. I'm happy to know that you feel great for hours after exercising now!  :thumbsup:  That's something to give me hope.

Hello folks,

Thank you in advanced.

OanezkaO, when I was in your shoes last year I met with my doctor and we decided on PT. I had joint and muscle pain so that helped with the referral but I believe they can do it for weakness as well. They started me out doing exercises, for example, that other people would do with weights but I was bench pressing just empty hands and it was challenging. After several months I became stronger and worked my way up to being able to lift heavy weights in a weight room, walk for 90 minutes, go to exercise classes, and so on. If there's no way to go to PT you can buy exercise bands at places like walmart or athletic stores that come with programs that tell you what to do. You could begin doing the exercises without using the resistance bands then work up to the easiest band and so on. As for aerobics, I have CFS and have had to rehabilitate myself several times. When I'm starting out I walk 5-10 minutes daily (or most days) and move it up in increments of 5 minutes every week or two depending on how I feel. I've also used a zumba DVD that has a tutoring section on it and just done the teaching part (not full dancing) because it's easier.

I'm having a setback this weekend because I finally caught a cold (so Drew and I are cold buddies). I haven't had one for a couple of years. I'm shocked by how a relatively mild cold has stopped me dead. Somehow the symptoms on top of wd multiplies everything. I hate not exercising but getting out of a chair today is difficult.

Thanks for your reply,

I've been to many doctors, the last one told me I'm too weak and have too much pain to go PT. However, I'll get back and talk with him.

However, as you have experience I'll follow your advices. What do you think about using an small swimming pool in the garden and do any king of exercices there? I've been thinking about buying one, a cheap one, it might help right?

Thanks again!

Hello folks,

Thank you in advanced.

To sum up you're still on 10 mg diazepam (under benzo) and are in a lot of pain.

Exercising "hard or at normal intensity for people that do not take benzo" will only make the joint pain worse.

You won't be able to fully recuperate and might even get worst by aggravating some symptoms such as Insomnia.

However it it could be sensible to slowly (progressively) start walking on a daily basis. I know it sounds light but trust me (or not :P ) it can be challenging while being on benzo and tapering or benzo free in the first few months.

What would walking do to you, well just prepare slowly your post benzo life, regain walking/exercising ability and help your Central Nervous System to slowly get back to his former (healthy) self. (What people here say feeling 100% or so healed).

You could use this reading in your case (in fact every people in withdrawal or suffering from benzo could benefit from this reading).

I talk from experience, (I took Ativan "candy" too ), a few months back I was sleeping between 0 to 3/4 hours sometimes a little more. And now usually 5 to 6H30 hours (in two or 3 bouts) with sometimes 7 to 8hours of sleep (very rare right now), and sometimes 3 to 4 hours when i go to the gym and I act dumb (like weightlifting more than 45 mins ^^) but hey I couldn't even lift 10mins with withdrawal symptoms 2 months ago.

Walking really help. When you will completely off benzo, you will see that when you're walking 30 mins to a couple hours you feel like relaxed as if you've taken an Ativan. Hence you know that your body is producing his own inhibitory neurotransmitters etc.

Thanks for you advice,

So in your opinion, Won't I be able to exercise until I finish my tappering? It's been an awful year just to c/o Valium.

In my first WD I was able to walk and that helped me a lot. I guess, I should continue bedridden for now.

I've read the article, it's very interesting although it doesn't metion pain I think.

Thanks again :).

Hi O

This may help: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=77609.0

I couldn't do any exercise early in my taper and when I finally started it was a 2 minute walk at 1mph on my treadmill. I was able to gradually build up over time and feel it helped a lot. I would say never push exercise to the point where it makes you feel significantly worse. The biochemical benefits come from the progression of exercise duration and intensity rather than the actual amount you do.

Good luck

Bart

Hello folks,

Thank you in advanced.

Thanks for you advice,

So in your opinion, Won't I be able to exercise until I finish my tappering? It's been an awful year just to c/o Valium.

In my first WD I was able to walk and that helped me a lot. I guess, I should continue bedridden for now.

I've read the article, it's very interesting although it doesn't metion pain I think.

You may want to try yoga. It's very mild. My instructor was in a bad bike accident in Mexico and was told she may not walk again and yoga got her back to the point that she teaches it now! There is also a gentleman that was in a wheel chair in the class, and now he is no longer bound to it after doing yoga. This is Bikram yoga I am talking about, but there are others you can do. Here is a great article about the power of yoga for fibromyalgia relief and chronic pain: http://www.yogajournal.com/article/health/pain-reliever/

OaO, you could try the pool thing but with what you're describing you probably want to go no longer than 5-10 at a time per day to start. I don't think you have to wait until after your taper. Some other ideas:

--look into water aerobics classes but stop after 10 minutes to start.

--look into classes for the elderly or ill at a rec center or gym (I found the 30 minute classes helpful). Silver sneakers is a recognizable name. There are even classes designed for while sitting in a chair. Here's a 10 minute seated exercise thing on youtube (there were a bunch of videos):

--start in your house with walking around a table  3-5 times one-3 times per day (or walk up and down stairs a similar amount)

--yoga is a great idea. Here's a 15 minute youtube for easy yoga:

Good luck!

[9e...]

Hello folks,

Thank you in advanced.

Thanks for you advice,

I think getting a small blew up pool for your garden is a great idea! If you don't have the energy to blow it up yourself is there anyone around to help you. Also tri some exercise from bed.

Just dropping in to say hello...monster cold is making me miserable and I'm just a gross organism :sick:  on the plus side I'm "real" sick w no added benzo stuff that's worth mentioning. No exercise for me except the "tissue blow".

Thanks for you advice,

I don't know. What I would advice is as Kiddo said : starting to walk every day. like 5 mins than increase slowly the mins of walking every week and I believe your pain will disappear slowly and once completely when you will be off Ativan. Unfortunately there is no quick fix

As far as the article is concerned well it was to illustrate the role of walking (exercising) into withdrawal and his benefits for recovery ! Using walking as a tool to slowly reintroduce our body to exercise.

You're welcome. :)

[9b...]

Tybee....I swear I'm walking around w a box of aloe tissues.  I even brought a box into work :laugh:

You're a wise man :laugh:

Hope you heal up soon!!! 

i will not run this week, i am very weak and tired

i am now 48,5 kg...

i think house cleaning and cooking will qualify for some working out.....

v

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [SB...]
    • [be...]
    • [be...]
    • [...]
    • [PE...]
    • [An...]
    • [Bi...]
    • [Li...]
    • [Le...]
    • [...]