Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Hi Drew,

I could go back and read the whole thread for my answer, but am trying to close the computer and go out to cut the lawn, so am hoping that since it's your thread, you're more aware of trends among those who have posted. 

I'm wondering what people have reported regarding changes in their symptoms when they exercise hard -- as in almost maxing out their HR for a bit.  Do most notice and report a change?  My endurance isn't as good as it was before WD, but there are days when I can get out there and kick some serious butt!  It feels good at the time, and I love the feeling of strength and accomplishment that I get from hard workouts, but wonder if it creates excess free radicals or something that might slow healing down.  Yesterday was one of the "getting after it" days where I pushed my HR to 160, which is high for my age, but I really did feel OK. 

Hope you're having a good energy day! 

Tybee-I haven't noticed a trend but it seems when I am wavy intense exercise excaberates my wave.  When I'm feeling good I can exercise hard and be okay.  If anything I would think a hard workout would enhance healing. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is great. Was going to go to sleep

Then looked at this thread and decided to go for a walk! Finished my 4.4 daily miles. It was great walking at 10 pm very cool and i live in a safe neighborhood so no worries. Just because of this thread! Great feeling of acheivment and even my cog fog is gone! Thanks so much for strting this thread and for the encouragment i get here!

Carem -- The night is my favorite time to walk or run.  Definitely cooler, but also less traffic and quieter.  4.4 miles is a great distance  :thumbsup:

. Tyneei ,thanks glad i not the only  walking night :) sorry we are not luving close we could have walked togather but i am sure you are im much better shape :). Any how i very proud to have my daily 4.4 miles goal. Walked throughout the day 5.7 miles. I  will try to reach this new goals several times a week now:) Hope one is doing ok . Carem

:smitten:

Hooray Drew!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'm having a dizzy day so exercise is probably off the table. It's odd. I had maybe some mild lightheadedness earlier in wd but none of this extreme stuff until the past week. Oh the wonders of the human body.

[/quot).  Hi MT fan. Hope you doing better.!! :smitten:

Hi Drew,

I could go back and read the whole thread for my answer, but am trying to close the computer and go out to cut the lawn, so am hoping that since it's your thread, you're more aware of trends among those who have posted. 

I'm wondering what people have reported regarding changes in their symptoms when they exercise hard -- as in almost maxing out their HR for a bit.  Do most notice and report a change?  My endurance isn't as good as it was before WD, but there are days when I can get out there and kick some serious butt!  It feels good at the time, and I love the feeling of strength and accomplishment that I get from hard workouts, but wonder if it creates excess free radicals or something that might slow healing down.  Yesterday was one of the "getting after it" days where I pushed my HR to 160, which is high for my age, but I really did feel OK. 

Tybee-I haven't noticed a trend but it seems when I am wavy intense exercise excaberates my wave.  When I'm feeling good I can exercise hard and be okay.  If anything I would think a hard workout would enhance healing.

Drew-I'm reading the book Spark and I think the harder that you work out the more BDNF you make which would enhance healing.

[64...]

Hi Drew,

YEA!  You said what I wanted to but was worried that I wouldn't hear!  :thumbsup:

I've been a little secretive about my hardest workouts because I was afraid (dirty word!) someone would tell me it was risky.  I do take rest days and listen to my body, but when I'm feeling full of myself, I definitely get after it :yippee:

Thanks Drew! 

[64...]

Then looked at this thread and decided to go for a walk! Finished my 4.4 daily miles. It was great walking at 10 pm very cool and i live in a safe neighborhood so no worries. Just because of this thread! Great feeling of acheivment and even my cog fog is gone! Thanks so much for strting this thread and for the encouragment i get here!

Carem -- The night is my favorite time to walk or run.  Definitely cooler, but also less traffic and quieter.  4.4 miles is a great distance  :thumbsup:

. Tyneei ,thanks glad i not the only  walking night :) sorry we are not luving close we could have walked togather but i am sure you are im much better shape :). Any how i very proud to have my daily 4.4 miles goal. Walked throughout the day 5.7 miles. I  will try to reach this new goals several times a week now:) Hope one is doing ok . Carem

Hi Carem.  If I was faster, I'd slow down to your pace :)  One of my favorite ways to visit with friends is to go for a walk, hike, or run and chat along the way.  Can't do that during a hard run, but anything slower works. 

You should be proud of your walking -- you're doing something really good for your body and mind :smitten:

I've been working out on the elliptical for 23 years. Today I decided it's time to step up my work out. I increased my resistance to level 5 and I did 10 sets of 2 minute sprints. 55 minutes later I was a ball of sweat but I never felt so good. All I kept thinking about was that my brain was making more BDNF (Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor) = more healing.

Hi Carem.  If I was faster, I'd slow down to your pace :)  One of my favorite ways to visit with friends is to go for a walk, hike, or run and chat along the way.  Can't do that during a hard run, but anything slower works. 

You should be proud of your walking -- you're doing something really good for your body and mind :smitten:

.  Great! So next time i walk i will pretend i am walking with you:) and will try to catch up with you! People may find it strange if i talk to you :) will tell how are night walks are progressing :)

I've been working out on the elliptical for 23 years. Today I decided it's time to step up my work out. I increased my resistance to level 5 and I did 10 sets of 2 minute sprints. 55 minutes later I was a ball of sweat but I never felt so good. All I kept thinking about was that my brain was making more BDNF (Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor) = more healing.

Hey AF

Great job!

Bart

[f1...]

That's very interesting about the BDNF. I will google that.

I love nature and the outdoors. I have been riding my been doing a lot of road cycling and I feel better then ever. No sxs's these days. Now I'm breaking out the Mountain Bike and hitting the trails this week. I also love running too. I'm just not good at it.  Just need to fit in the weights because of my age and I need the power too. I hope and can keep this good wave going till the end but that may not be the case so I will enjoy it while it last. What do you think?

Daria

Looks like everyone here is taking charge of their health. Way to go everyone!!!!

I'm up to a fast paced 40 minute walk daily. If I can do it, anyone can. I was only able to do 10 minutes when I first started and those 10 minutes were NOT very fast  :laugh:

I no longer get any uptick in symptoms after exercise (knock on wood) and in fact, I usually feel much better for a few hours afterwards  :thumbsup:

Kiddo- this is great and very encouraging for me. I am working my way into walking more and more- Had  a great dance class today. Step counters shows throughout the day I walked a total of 6.2 Miles- I think increasing my walking is doing me a lot of good. I feel great after dance and even just after taking a walk. I do not try to walk fast yet- Just to get some walking done!

Hope everyone is doing OK today.

Carem

[64...]

Drew -- 22 minutes is still 22 minutes more than a whole lot of people ever do.  Give credit....  :thumbsup:

I did yard work.  Five hours worth!  And I'm sunburned  ???  Wonder how that'll work with cold chills and hot flashes tonight... 

I think I'm in for an exciting temper fluctuation experience  :D 

[bc...]
Ran 3 miles. I did it for those that can not. It's a blessing. I have a friend who was just diagnosed w/ ALS. I ran for him and myself. :thumbsup::smitten:

[64...]

Ran 3 miles. I did it for those that can not. It's a blessing. I have a friend who was just diagnosed w/ ALS. I ran for him and myself. :thumbsup::smitten:

I'm sorry about your friend's DX. 

[f1...]

I may add running into my routine. I can get in 3 miles. I'm so busy at work that it takes less effort then all the prepping for Cycling.

Feel lucky to have beautiful trails and a river near my house.

It's the one good thing in my life.

[f1...]

I'm doing training for a 50 mile ride for my friends who have passed from cancer. It's a benefit for research and it's going to hurt so I hope I can finish. Feels good and a way to keep them alive in our memories :) Your awsome :smitten:

Daria

Very inspiring what everyone is doing.  Suffering from terrible insomnia but I did my hill hike of 3.5 miles.  Must be getting in shape as I was stalked by a gay man who thought I was a cute cop :laugh:

[64...]

Very inspiring what everyone is doing.  Suffering from terrible insomnia but I did my hill hike of 3.5 miles.  Must be getting in shape as I was stalked by a gay man who thought I was a cute cop :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the belly laugh, drew -- I needed that!  Were you wearing a cop uniform while walking?   

Insomnia here too -- less than 3 hours sleep last night due to a panic attack :(

Hope we both sleep well tonight. 

[f1...]

:

Was he cute?  :laugh:

[f1...]

At the trailhead all ready to ride along the  river when I realized I forgot my helmet :tickedoff:

drew, sorry to hear about your insomnia.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [je...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Oc...]
    • [Li...]
    • [jo...]
    • [PE...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [SB...]
    • [je...]
    • [Le...]