Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Rapunzel, let us know how yoga class goes. I hope it goes great. I enjoy my once/week class. I think it helps with wd symptoms to work on strength, balance and flexibility with yoga.

I made it through 30 minutes of weights but only 13 minutes of aerobics. Still fighting that weakness thing but it will get better. My husband often reminds me that there is no minimum helpful unit with exercise. Whatever we can do is worth doing.

Drew and Tybee, it's great to hear how well you're doing. Press on!

Thanks, MTfan!  Your hubby is right---starting where we each find ourself and moving forward from there is SO much better than laying down to wait for our former self to re-appear.  Besides, you did 43 minutes of exercise, and in my book, that's a damn good effort!!!  :clap:

This is such a good perspective! MTfan, you're further along than me with exercise right now. I've been doing only 15-25 minutes of yoga daily. I love it and I've been really hoping to get into a once a week class that will help me more. I'll let you know how it goes :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all...I just returned from my lunchtime gym workout. 

Did 25 min on elliptical in the 140's on HR and did strength training for the first time in about a year... :D  I only did one set of bench press, shoulders, and 2 sets on the  bi's and tri's.  I didn't want to push it for two reasons...my ear has been hissing since the middle of the night and this is usually a sign my brain is going wacky and keeping my HR in the 140's seems okay right nwo while the 150's revs me.  My aerobic activity caused no issues but as I was lifting weights my ear hissing increased so I backed off. Listening to my body.  onward we all go.... :thumbsup: 

We're all getting such good training at listening to our bodies and minds. Imagine how awesome we're going to be when we're though all of this.

I often think of a line from Siddhartha (I think that's were it's from). Someone asks the Buddha who he is and he answers, "I am awake." I think that's what we're all working for in freeing ourselves from benzos. To be fully alive, fully awake...except at night ;D

We're all getting such good training at listening to our bodies and minds. Imagine how awesome we're going to be when we're though all of this.

I often think of a line from Siddhartha (I think that's were it's from). Someone asks the Buddha who he is and he answers, "I am awake." I think that's what we're all working for in freeing ourselves from benzos. To be fully alive, fully awake...except at night ;D

I love that "I am awake." That's awesome.

I ran very fast past at the beach with my dog today. I think I dropped at low as 7:15 min/mile at some points because my dog kept pulling me! At the end of our run, I let her off the leash and let her play in the water. Everyone wins! :)

Hey everyone,

Just got back from a 25 minute brisk walk and then played 15 minutes of basketball in the driveway with my daughter. I can't believe I lasted. And much to my daughters chagrin I even beat her. Lol

Drew - I think you made the right choice, listening to yor body is key. Good job starting back on the weights.

MT - "Being fully awake" I love this!!!

Julianna - I started off only being able to walk 5 min. You will get stronger, I'm seeing it in myself. You're doing great.

"I am awake." That is EXCELLENT MT! Thank you for sharing.  :smitten:

So the yoga class was pretty good, a nice slow pace for me and lots of good people. The only problem is that there was a bit too much pressure on my knees. (I can't do a lot of knee stuff like being on all fours or sitting on my heels. Ugh I feel scared just typing it. I have had a lot of knee injuries.) My left knee is a little swollen today and it's protesting. But I can still walk and I was even able to do one or two stairs. I am going to spend as much time as possible doing foam roller exercises ( http://blog.nasm.org/training-benefits/foam-rolling-applying-the-technique-of-self-myofascial-release/ ) so my knees feel better in time for class next week!

okey, please do not make fun of me :idiot: :idiot: :idiot:

I'm already for 1 hour in bed

convincing myself to get my *** out and go runing  :crazy:

v

I am in the thick of things and quite neurotic, Please tell me something. I have a huge fear of losing my mind and brain going psychotic due to staying in bed and not oxygenating. I don't want to lose my mind. That scares me and it is an obsession.

You're not going to lose your mind Mozart. Obsessive thoughts are very common for folks in benzo withdrawal. I would recommend getting out of bed and moving when you can if you are physically able though. Even if it's only walking.

[f0...]

You're not going to lose your mind Mozart. Obsessive thoughts are very common for folks in benzo withdrawal. I would recommend getting out of bed and moving when you can if you are physically able though. Even if it's only walking.

I second this, Mozart.  I've had lots of obsessive thoughts during this journey, but they're backing down as I grow in my recovery. Please do try to get outside if you're able.  Walking and sunshine are both enormously healing.  I do know that it can be hard to break out of established routines, but bit by bit, we can do amazing things.  I had a lifetime phobia that I've challenged and am winning against.  You can too---win against the obsession about becoming psychotic.  The people who actually do go around that bend never see it coming.  They don't know that they're "crazy," they just go there.  Those of us who question it are almost always OK---we just worry too much ;)

[29...]
Ive gained 8 lbs since beginning Zoloft.  >:( I thought I'd found a good med to help see me through to the end of Valium. I gained weight on Zoloft before, so should come as NO surprise. There is no free lunch, and no spoon(Mr Anderson;)

[f0...]
I've gained 4 pounds, but not from zoloft, but from comfort eating during the acute phase of WD. :-[  I never gain weight, so for me, this is hateful!  But---if this is the price I have to pay for taking my brain back, I'll willingly do it!  I'm exercising more to try and increase my metabolic rate, but it keeps backfiring.  When I run, I come home and eat more, and today I kayaked for hours, then same thing---ate back everything that I'd burned.  But at least I'm fit underneath the bit of added padding.  We'll lose it down the road... :thumbsup:

I walked about two and a half miles yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day. I definitely didn't feel like going out in it but my dad made me breakfast and helped me get up and get going. Feels good to have sore muscles in my legs today.

Grat job Rapunz!

I did  areally good hike on Saturday but that evening I got hit with my migraine head symptoms. First time in 33 days which is a post jump record.  haven't done much since then but hell....I have to take care of myself and this will pass.  Meditation at lunch but no high energy exercise today.   

Great Job, Rapunzel. Every little bit helps.  :thumbsup:

Sorry about your melon, Drewski  :-[ did you have any gluten by mistake? When I went gluten free the first 6 months I ingested a lot without realizing. There is definitely a learning curve.

I've bumped my walks up to 30-35 min daily, brisk pace, for the last 4 days. Still no uptick in sx....on the contrary I've had the best 4 days I've had in over a year. I sure hope it's the exercise because that's one thing I can control.

How are all the other exercisers doing?

Thanks Drew & Kiddo!  :smitten:

Drew:  Sorry you had migraine trouble. That sucks. Love your attitude of taking care of yourself until it passes, though. It will!

Kitto:  So encouraging that you've had such a great 4 days. I hope the improvement continues! Exercise works wonders, I am told. I don't necessarily feel the wonders but if it keeps me from slipping down further and getting worse I call that a win.

[29...]
I like to feel sore muscles from exercise too, rapunzelblue;D Ive added weights to my squats, and I had a few days of sore walking, sitting and standing. And I like that feeling for some reason.  :D

Kiddo- I don't think so but it was funny...I ordered a coconut milk based soup at a Thai restaurant last night and they told me there coconut milk has something with wheat to thicken it...wtf??  last night was the first night I got pissed being gluten free as I had to eat a plain chix sand with no bun from a fast food restaurant.  it sucked.  Most nights I prepare my own food.  Haven't Had Chinese once which I do miss.  Overall, it's been way better and first one in a month is way better than weekly.  It really shifts my brain into anxiety and DR mode.  It sucks.

Sore muscles form working out is so much better than sore muscles from benzos :sick::D

Nice, ingrid! My knees aren't up to doing squats but that sounds badass haha.

Sore muscles from exercise are definitely better! Reminds me that I did something good for myself. Also I think sometimes it helps the restless leg symptom from getting too annoying.

It's great to read your posts, exercise warriors! So much determination on this thread.

I've been unusually weak (like I haven't been in over 6 months) for a couple of weeks. Since it was getting worse I had to pull way back. I walked an hour Saturday, mostly because I was so slow, then couldn't move yesterday. But today I was able to get to my 30 minute exercise class and then lift weights and such for about 30 minutes. Hard, but again, it makes me feel like I'm fighting for my recovery.

I hope this brings a week of good feeling movement and healing to everyone.

Wow, MT, that's great! Amazing that you were able to do all that exercise even when you felt weak. I'm sure it's good for you.  :smitten:

[29...]

Sore muscles from exercise are definitely better! Reminds me that I did something good for myself. Also I think sometimes it helps the restless leg symptom from getting too annoying.

Thanks!!  ;D My left knee is bothering me, so Im not sure if I will begin to have trouble in the other knee. I believe I squatted too low trying to impress my son.  :-[ Im 51, and it's easy to get injured and not feel it until it's too late, and then you deal with it for months!  :idiot:

Thanks!!  ;D My left knee is bothering me, so Im not sure if I will begin to have trouble in the other knee. I believe I squatted too low trying to impress my son.  :-[ Im 51, and it's easy to get injured and not feel it until it's too late, and then you deal with it for months!  :idiot:

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! In case it helps, I found some websites about foam rolling for knee pain. I saw a chiropractor about my knee issues for awhile and she taught me some of these moves. https://snapguide.com/guides/foam-roll-your-knee-pain-away/ http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/foam-rolling-for-runners-mistakes/

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [or...]
    • [Jo...]
    • [Li...]
    • [...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Vo...]
    • [Tr...]
    • [Ma...]
    • [ji...]
    • [Le...]
    • [fa...]