Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Julianna, any exercise is good but there are certain benefits, from my understanding, that only occur when we exercise to a point of fatigue/exhaustion (within reason). If 20 minutes does that you're good. If not, you might want to gradually increase, while listening to your body, the intensity (hills) and/or distance. Those of us that are older also really benefit from weights as well to help promote bone and muscle strength and balance. My cardiologist insists 30 minutes a day every day if possible for cardiac health. I can't do it every day so I go longer for fewer days.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Friends,

Pre benzo I ran half marathons.  I am trying to work my way back there and accepted it might take awhile. 

I started walking on April 27th and did 3.07 miles and today I am up to 4.66 miles.  At first my muscles were so sore and now it they're not so sore anymore.  Slowly making my way back and walking everyday.

My goal is when i hit 10 miles walking, I will start to run and train for 3 miles.  I have head pressure that comes and goes but trying to ignore it during the walks.

I was running halves before WD too, but both mind and body have been in a fog over the last 4+ months.  I make myself get out to walk and run (was just walking at first), and managed a decent 4.5 mile run yesterday.  The thing that's strange is that I feel much slower than I am.  I've started wearing a Garmin, just for a reality check, and it says that my speed is almost the same as before, but I do get more winded on hills and in heat.  It'll come back---we just have to stick with it and listen to our bodies!  My #1 goal is to get my brain back to normal, but #2 is to stay physically strong while working on it!  Benzos are not going to win this battle!!!

You nailed it!

LONGDISTANCERUNNER- I'm reading your journal and I'm on page 3 and I can't wait to finish reading it:) Do you ever use a TRX for butt squats?

Fran:)

Hey Fran!

No TRX, just good old kettle bells with squats. That usually does the trick. Hope I didn't bore you to death with my p-log :) I hope you had a kickass workout today. XX

longdisitancerunner,

Have you done some races in the past?  Doing any now?

Hi Arcade,

I did my first half marathon this past September. I really want to do another one. The energy of a large group of runners is infectious. I have my eye on a Rock'n'Roll half-marathon, marinating on signing up for that. Are you keen on racing?

-LDR

[3a...]

LONGDISTANCERUNNER- I'm reading your journal and I'm on page 3 and I can't wait to finish reading it:) Do you ever use a TRX for butt squats?

Fran:)

Hey Fran!

No TRX, just good old kettle bells with squats. That usually does the trick. Hope I didn't bore you to death with my p-log :) I hope you had a kickass workout today. XX

longdisitancerunner,

Have you done some races in the past?  Doing any now?

Hi Arcade,

I did my first half marathon this past September. I really want to do another one. The energy of a large group of runners is infectious. I have my eye on a Rock'n'Roll half-marathon, marinating on signing up for that. Are you keen on racing?

-LDR

The Rock'n'Roll halves are fun---lots of music and energy!  Some of my friends don't like the big crowds, but I enjoy them.  Sign up!!! 

Tybee,

Awesome! I want to go to the one in Las Vegas. I hear the race starts at midnight, that must be kinda fun to do.

[3a...]

Tybee,

Awesome! I want to go to the one in Las Vegas. I hear the race starts at midnight, that must be kinda fun to do.

That sounds like great big fun!!!  Especially for night owls like me  :thumbsup:

I ran two or three half marathons a year pre-benzo.  Looking forward to it again when healed.  Physical symptoms with my headaches/migraines are stopping me.  All I can do is walk for now.

[3a...]

I ran two or three half marathons a year pre-benzo.  Looking forward to it again when healed.  Physical symptoms with my headaches/migraines are stopping me.  All I can do is walk for now.

As a good friend who just ran a 3:50 marathon is fond of saying, time on feet is more important than pace when you're struggling. Of course, she gets both in (she's not recovering from anything other than a marathon), but she's right that less exertion for longer periods can work wonders... 

[3a...]

Thanks for posting this link!  It's always encouraging to be reminded that regular exercises has benefits far greater than how we look.  The article's comment about walking showing positive brain benefits supports what my friend says---about time on feet... 

Tybee-My mom has Parkinson's Disease/cognitive issues and her neurologist keeps insisting that she exercise for 30 minutes a day. Her doctor feels it's the best medicine ever. I know I sound like a broken record but exercise saved me while in recovery and I am so fortunate that I was able to work out.

I jsut finished 30 min of elliptical at a good pace plus I got two hgreat hikes in this weekend.  Had to take off yesterday as I was terribly symptomatic.  I really can see my endurance improving and I am not as sore after my workouts.  Making progress.

Good for you, Drew.

I've been really sore since yesterday as a result of the high intensity interval training. It was worth it to have my mood and anxiety improve but not pleasant. Tonight is yoga. I'm hoping I feel some energy by then. So tired.

I did another 4.5 mile hike today even though I have head pressure, dizziness and low level anxiety.  I am holding at 2.4mg for a bit until I stabilize.

I was kind of off balance but I still walked on the city trail.  I am sure the people walking past me thought I was in rough shape...LOL.  Who knows what they were thinking.

Arcade79 and Drew28 GREAT JOB...KEEP IT UP AND WORK IT!!

Arcade79-They can't think anything worse than when I wore sunglasses in the supermarket:) haha

[3a...]

AlwaysFrantstic---I totally agree that exercise can be a life saver!  Can't imagine not being able to move...

Arcade---You rock!  7.5 miles is awesome!  Good job :thumbsup:

Drew---I love the elliptical on days when I can't manage a run and don't feel like getting outside.  Was on mine today while watching a show on Netflix. 

Hey folks, I came across an article that said strength training can help with tension headaches. I don't have a link because I read it in a newspaper of all things. (Yes those still exist). The gist of it was that they found people that had chronic tension headaches were up to 25% weaker than those who don't. So there's another good reason to work those shoulders and traps!

Wondernova-I think what some people are feeling is the tight head band which according to Ashton is not a tension headache it's muscle spasms. I had it and it's very uncomfortable but it does come and go.

[3a...]

Wondernova-I think what some people are feeling is the tight head band which according to Ashton is not a tension headache it's muscle spasms. I had it and it's very uncomfortable but it does come and go.

I hadn't read that, but I had it earlier on, along with tons of visible muscle spasm in arms, legs, and eye lids.  Friends would sit and watch my muscles involuntarily contract for long periods of time---like they were possessed...  The muscles, not the friends.  Makes total sense that the head pain would also be from muscles that are unable to stay in a relaxed state.   

My muscles in my arms and legs used to look like I had a creature moving under my skin.  The benzo beasts' minions :laugh:

Good job to all who did whatever they could today :highfive:

Tybee - I used to get spasms like that all the time, my right eye lid spasm'd for 3 months on & off but mostly on  :tickedoff:

WonderN - You are working out your shoulders & traps by surfing all the time, you are so lucky  :thumbsup: I wish I was closer

to a beach because I would be doing the same thing.  I am going home for a vacation to Hawaii in July, I always go

bodysurfing while I am there & even tho I eat non stop I still lose weight & feel awesome after a salt water

baptism  :thumbsup:

Ninj  :thumbsup:

[3a...]

Tybee - I used to get spasms like that all the time, my right eye lid spasm'd for 3 months on & off but mostly on  :tickedoff:

Yikes---that must have seemed a little random when you were out places!  :D

Hi all  :thumbsup: I am still managing getting out everyday walking AM and PM 2 or 3 hours in nature, can't type much as typing !"£%?!@/!!! hurts and agravates sxs  :D and I'd rather save my ''puppy power''  ;D for getting out walking, great work everyone  :clap:

Nova xxxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

[c0...]

HI Gang!  ;D I had a fabulous time at the beach. My cut was and is still uneventful, thank the Gods!! Im trying to get caught up on business and family. My son will be coming home from college tomorrow. Im taking mom out today for our weekly lunch and shopping date. I must get used to hiking hills again, and not on flat sand. I so miss the salty sea air.

You all seem to be moving right along!  :thumbsup:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Bl...]
    • [In...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [je...]
    • [ro...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [Kr...]
    • [kn...]
    • [SB...]
    • [Li...]