Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Exercise support group

[dr...]

Pushups, curls, kickbacks and ran for 3 minutes, also walked a half mile....doing very bad, trying to stay positive, but think about killing myself multiple times every day...this makes me cry hysterically. Nothing is getting better, im stuck in this twisting writhing squeezing burning cog fogger dpdr hell. Exercise is doing nothing but making me sore and dizzier

CP :hug: why don't you see how you go just sticking with walking for a while I think maybe doing too much may be too taxing for you right now, our bodies are repairing and our brains at the same time plus all the emotions, physiologic and physiological, spiritually  and everything that makes us human and thats one hell of an upgrade for all of us.  :thumbsup:

You can't put a new roof on at the same time as clearing out the basement thats how I look at it, I was able to do a lot more exercise a while back but not right now. Even walking takes a herculean effort, and you would not believe what I was doing in a day before  as I'm usually  naturally hyper and like the Duracell bunny but not now, and I certainly don't believe in more pain more gain especially when it comes to our CNS.  :o

Pushing ourselves is one thing but not pushing yourself over a cliff when we feel or know we're on the edge, we are born with built in alarm systems to protect us and pain and strain is the body's alarms system, ignore it then the present injuries  can't heal properly  or your heading for a new one thats going to slow you down or lay you up so the body can continue rebuilding.

We have temporary brain injury thats healing, and it needs the body to keep still  at times so it can do its job and if we ignore the signals then it will find another way like making us too sore, pain, mentally ill at ease or weak whatever to get us out of our own way to allow our body to do its job . I learned to listen to signals that tell me when I can go and forge ahead and when I can do just what needs to be done to survive  and even thats hard.

Exercise hasn't got to be a set plan when its too much rest its not a crime and makes sense to listen to what the signals are telling you. Our energy is needed for a lot of things right now and it needs to divert its self to where its needed most and even if we aren't aware and feel like nothings changing, our body's are working over time to get us back up and feeling better :)

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [dr...]

• [MT...]

• [Al...]

• [kr...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Im scared to just walk. I CAN do those other things (meaning its not a struggle physically) and i desperately need the antidepressant effects of exercise since Im afraid to take another pill. Walking, in my mind, just wont cut it.

Hi all. I've been Mia the last two days. Got one of my migraines and my anxiety was through the roof.  Hopefully ck in a day or two. On the plus side it was eighteen days Snce my last migraine so that's an improvement.

Hi all. I've been Mia the last two days. Got one of my migraines and my anxiety was through the roof.  Hopefully ck in a day or two. On the plus side it was eighteen days Snce my last migraine so that's an improvement.

Hi Drew, sorry your suffering  :hug: Migraine is hell, I was in and out of Hospital with it and I get headaches now with the withdrawal and pray they don't go from being bad to a migraine attack, It was benzos that cause my Migraines if the first place, I hope yours passes  real quickly.

Nova xxxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Drew, did you have migraines pre benzo? Or is that yet another new little "treat"? I've been getting auras (never had those or migraines in my life) and I'm scared its a sign of whats to come. Hang in there buddy, hope you recover soon.

Im scared to just walk. I CAN do those other things (meaning its not a struggle physically) and i desperately need the antidepressant effects of exercise since Im afraid to take another pill. Walking, in my mind, just wont cut it.

Hi CP    :thumbsup: here's an easy way  to make walking ''work it,''  :boxer: Walk or run  backwards up hill if its possible where you are, loads of them where I am,  as I find that the way we hold our self automatically while  walking up hill  and the push of gravity makes it harder work.  And there's  less chance of falling over than on the flat, but its okay to do it on the flat as fast as you can handle. This works out  completely different set of muscle groups in and gets the old anti-depressant neurotransmitters going  plus all the ones we need for the in house repair jobs.  ;)

Another one for anyone thats finding it difficult to do much is, if your able to sit in a chair or sit up in bed and use your hands and arms without too much discomfort or pain is, get two cans of produce, veg, drink anything in a can. Then hold the cans in your hands arms out straight, bend from the elbow to the shoulders and back as many repetitions as comfortable and for as long or as often as you want to.

I do this when unable to move about much or watching TV, there is many things you can do by improvising by what your able to do and whats comfortable, if its nothing but rest thats as important as exercise. Just like you should lay down even if you can't sleep as physical rest is just as important as mental rest.

I  am very grateful that I was  able to do  two hours over the woods again  this morning and went foraging again and picked a 13 inches in circumference  Dryads Saddle, (Polyporous squamosus) edible Mushroom, chestnut mushrooms some fiddle head fern heads to eat. And went back to ''the land that time forgot'' part of the woods but this time made sure I mapped out a proper ''mind map'' by looking for trees and things to find my way back. 8)

I also used the sun as I came from the east  ( no I was not following a star looking for  a baby in a stable ;)) and the sun rises in the east where my home is, and I had my faithful compass in my pocket just in case. I had a really good nose about over there today as there used  a big Manor  house and  individual cottages in the woods a couple of hundred year's ago.

And found the most beautiful load of different types of old glass all shapes and sizes,  bottles, drinking glasses I've never seen anything like them before. I noticed one shining in the earth pulled it out then found another, then another. I had bags with me as I take them for foraging and collecting other things over the woods. But then the not so clever bit, I now had a load of excess weight I had to carry all the way home and the woods are a natural obstacle course when your off the path ways .  :D

Its was hard work and I had to keep stopping for a body pain, (won't rattle off the shopping list ::)) and pee break, I got the ''out door toilet''' bushes  route sorted so that not a problem but nearly peeing yourself with out warning every so many minutes is, another wonderful sxs I've had for ages but a common one.

So when I got home I weighed the bag to see was it as heavy as I thought or was it more as  hard work as I thought, turns out it was both as the glass alone weighed 10lbs, and I weighed my jacket with all the other bits I  always carry in my pockets and that was another 3lbs. So my Walk was more of work out  meets Commando assault course than a ramble, I enjoyed it though and now I'm going to try find out what this glass Is I found, and drink gallons of red bush tea. ;D

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Drew, did you have migraines pre benzo? Or is that yet another new little "treat"? I've been getting auras (never had those or migraines in my life) and I'm scared its a sign of whats to come. Hang in there buddy, hope you recover soon.

I never had one until I was on beznzos but they first hit when I was only taking as needed.  I got maybe two a year with the aura.  Once I started tapering I got many more auras maybe 5-6 a year.  now that I am off I get them often.  I had three auras in ten days!  I just went 18 days without one so I am hopeful.  They scare me too.  I read Dr Google and everything is a stroke, aneurysm, etc...Now I just avoid the google.  Mine are classic migraines where I a day or two before I get restless all night, weird tingly sensations, pee my brains out, thirsty as hell, and more achy than regular benzo recovery.  I then get the aura and I luckily just get a mild headache if at all.  I then notice a huge spike in anxiety the day or two after.  Rinse and repeat...I have read others who have had these who once healed are getting them much less if at all.  It is a neurological storm that has to do with our serotonin levels so it makes sense we are getting more during this process.  CP-not that I wish it on anyone but it is always reassuring when we are not alone with a symptom.  How often you getting the auras?  Oh...I also went gluten free per my doc and I think it may be helping. 

Hi Drew, sorry your suffering  :hug: Migraine is hell, I was in and out of Hospital with it and I get headaches now with the withdrawal and pray they don't go from being bad to a migraine attack, It was benzos that cause my Migraines if the first place, I hope yours passes  real quickly.

Thx nova...my headaches were way worse during my taper but now they have moved to migraines.  :sick: 

Hey Jth, so good to see you here :) I am good. Enjoying the beautiful sunshine in SoCal. I just got a Fitbit, which I am pretty giddy about! It's fun to be able to tell exactly how much your walk/run/exercise in general. It keeps me motivated in addition to that whole "healthy brain" thing ;-)

Hi All,

About 3 weeks ago I also got a FitBit Charge HR (partly on the recommendation of my docs due to my cardiac condition) and I LOVE it!

My docs like how it keeps pretty good track of my daily average pulse rate and of the highs and lows over time since I have been having issues with elevated pulse rate since beginning my taper. I can actually SEE the chart of the highs and lows on my pulse rate, which are really all over the place. I also love the FitBit because it helps me avoid wearing implanted or "stuck on" medical devices to track my heart rate and because it provides good feedback on how much I am (or am not) moving in a day and over a longer time, as well as tracking when I sleep (and when I'm not sleeping!) and for the food tracking. I also love the vibrating alarm for waking up and for letting me know I have reached my step goal. I am still in such bad shape I am aiming for 5,000 steps every other day and I am mostly making that goal. I am so tied into this gadget that if it gets to be dinner time and I haven't made my steps or activity minutes, I will dance or pace around the house until I do, so it is also a great motivator.

I am still sooo not fit, but with my FitBit I feel more "empowered" — and I feel like one of the cool kids now!

Happy Exercising everyone,

Mo

Mosart, does the HR monitor on the Fitbit work pretty well? I am thinking of upgrading to the Charge HR, instead of just Charge.

Hi everyone!! I did body planks today with weights and it felt GREAT!! I'm going slow only doing 20 body planks on each arm.

Mosart, does the HR monitor on the Fitbit work pretty well? I am thinking of upgrading to the Charge HR, instead of just Charge.

Hi LD,

Based on my own experience, which is combined with use of my Alivecor portable ECG monitor that attaches to my smartphone several times a day, and the studies I have read about the FitBit HR, the HR monitor seems to be really pretty accurate for non-strenuous exercise and daily averages. There can be some adjustment for each person to find the best "place" on the wrist for optimal monitoring that can improve accuracy, but there are limitations to this.

In my experience, however, I have not found it as accurate as one might want for strenuous exercise, especially when it involves swinging or flailing your arms around — I like to dance for exercise so I figured this out pretty quickly! For "strenuous" exercise my cardio docs have me add a Polar chest heart rate monitor that syncs with my smartphone so they can track it as accurately as possible. This accuracy may not be needed by everyone, but since I have cardiac issues, I have to be a bit careful. Overall, the Charge HR fits my needs perfectly (although it would be nice NOT to have to add the chest strap for exercise), but only in combo with the other two devices. For other people it seems to be the perfect device and the only one they need.

I think for walking, sleeping, and going about your everyday business, the Charge HR is a pretty accurate account of your daily ups and downs and your average resting heart rate, but I don't know that I would count on it for strenuous exercise. You can read and/or watch various reviews that mention, discuss and debate this issue on the internet at on YouTube. While I think the HR monitoring on the Charge HR is probably one of the better of it's types (it uses light diodes to read capillary action through the skin) it is my impression that if HR monitoring is your primary goal there might be better devices out there.

Best,

Mo

Hiya CrazyPants.  Although Nova 1 and me don't always agree, I support her advice to you about the importance of not overdoing exercise when in benzo withdrawal

Even moderate exercise can flare up benzo symptoms partly because it releases a lot of cortisol during and after exercise.  Gentle exercise has the opposite effect and lowers cortisol.  See "Exercise and Circulating Cortisol Levels: The Intensity Threshold Effect" for the actual thresholds.  Exercise fans, including those who have not been benzo users, sometimes take high dose vitamin C and other supplements before exercise to reduce cortisol because it is implicated in muscle breakdown.  Bart mentions a few of these supplements in his exercise sticky.

I do understand that you're not getting a full antidepressant effect unless you exercise hard but the cortisol can flare up symptoms.  In a sort of similar way, sleep deprivation is a quick and efficient way of helping with depression but it brings too many disadvantages!

Hi BBs! Did 30 minutes of wind tunnel flying today! (3x 10 minute sessions) God I love the feeling! I felt like crap all day (I can barely get out of bed and take a shower each morning) but inside all the anxiety was gone. All memories from my flying days came back :) Felt so happy that I almost cried! If there's a tunnel near where You live go and do it! You guys are able to surf despite the whithdrawl You will have no problem with flying ;) If You are looking for something fun to distract yourself- give it a try!!!

Going back to swimming tmr! No more self pity!  :thumbsup:

idGCqsWjj

That looks AMAZING! I will have to google that to see if there's one nearby. I've mentioned this about the surfing before, but it's really weird. I actually feel worse if I DON"T surf. Odd I know.

i like to run in the mornings i feel great for hours after i do this in the afternoon i go to the gym . i started to walk after i quit xanax it gave me windows that lasted a long time doing this . i wish exercise was talked about more on here . Exercise was the key to my success quitting xanax with the least discomforts i felt windows that lasted a long time with just a 10 minute walk when i first started exercising 

That looks AMAZING! I will have to google that to see if there's one nearby. I've mentioned this about the surfing before, but it's really weird. I actually feel worse if I DON"T surf. Odd I know.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

I went to the gym today. First time in 3 months! 35 minutes with weights and 20 pool laps. Ok. I have my strength at 40% from before the start of my taper but I'm back! See how it goes from here. Need to re-gain 22 pounds but I have a new challenge to distract me.

[ba...]

That looks sooo very cool Mr Anderson;D Im a bit too old for that, but I am gonna tell my son about it. He'd love to do that!

Just returned from 4 mi hike. Now drinking Green tea. I love Spring!!!  :smitten:

Ingrid if You can hike You CAN fly in the tunnel! Trust me! :D

I know that  there are some tough days ahead of me  (mornings!!!) but I feel more confident that I can make it...

Stay strong BBs!  :smitten:

Mr Anderson that looks FAB!!  Good job!!

BabyAngel-I agree with you 100%. Exercise saved me and it has helped me so much. I can't fathom where I would be without working out for 2 to 2 1/2 hours per day even when I went off c/t I never missed a work out. It even helped restored my sleep and I'm sleeping 8 hours a night without anything. Sad to say but there are a couple of women on BB who have been out right nasty to me simply because I am able to exercise or I am sleeping. One word KARMA. Keep working out everyone!! Your BDNF and Gaba will thank you. I just did 70 minutes on the elliptical and now I am walking on my treadmill for 4 miles. I'll go to the gym later to lift weights and row. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Hi all,  :thumbsup: I went for my two hour woodland walk about this morning, went visiting the cows in their field ( No I wasn't trying to ''forage'' them  ;)) came home and ate and felt incredibly tired, I didn't want to go to sleep as I get toxic sleep from hell and have done so for a few years. I was hoping to go back out again later on but fell asleep woke up and feel awful,  sxs and feel like throwing up :sick:

And the cut in Diazepam is obviously aiding and abetting everything not good at all  :o Also I find that the exercise is effecting my sleep negatively by breaking what sleep I do get even more and shortening the amount I get even more, I think I saw some one else mention this on BB but am not sure where or who :-\ Has or did anyone else find this to be the case as well, its definitely the walking as this starting at the same time as I was able to go walking after being house bound and unable to do nothing for ages since my last cut and every other cut each time  >:(

I know exercise will ramp up the already raised Cortisol but gentle exercise may help lower it, I would love to do a Mr Anderson and go indoor sky diving but I'd have death by Adrenaline as thats way out of whack as well. And I had to give up Scuba Diving which I actually learned in a bearable wave before I knew about benzo withdrawal  symptoms and thought it was one of my  misdiagnosed ''illnesses' flaring up.  ???

And was doing everything and any activities exercise wise new or usual to be proactive and responsible for my own health, not knowing the truth and I was actually ramping up present symptoms and sparking off a Domino effect of new ones.  ::)

I also took up rock face climbing, skiing  lot on the local outdoor artificial ski slope pushing up the cortisol, adrenaline and anxiety levels while believing I was doing the right thing but it wasn't working? No wonder  :D  I can't even watch or read  anything exciting or funny or of interest on TV or read about it as that gets too stimulating and has a negative mental effect, its all perturbing isn't it? @<#*^/"&*%$@!! BENZOS!!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff:  :tickedoff:

Exactly! :thumbsup:

I went to the gym today. First time in 3 months! 35 minutes with weights and 20 pool laps. Ok. I have my strength at 40% from before the start of my taper but I'm back! See how it goes from here. Need to re-gain 22 pounds but I have a new challenge to distract me.

Swimming ARRRGGGHHH!!  :D :D :D:laugh: I love that  and diving as well but last time I went swimming and diving  I ended up getting carried out as I was in a agony with  sxs  I thought were 'flare ups'' ramped up once again  ::)

Nova xxxx :smitten: :smitten:  :smitten:

That looks sooo very cool Mr Anderson;D Im a bit too old for that, but I am gonna tell my son about it. He'd love to do that!

Just returned from 4 mi hike. Now drinking Green tea. I love Spring!!!  :smitten:

We only get old when we forget to play Ingrid  :hug: I still hit the swings and things over the children's play ground in the parks and last time a lady in her eighties joined in with me. ;D  I did a Charity Parachute jump aged 50. I go on a rope  swing my friends kids hung on an oak tree branch and it swings out over a cliff with a big drop if you fall when I'm up to it. I'm 55 now and would run to my nearest indoor Sky diving center if it wasn't for some of the symptoms I have now, and I play 'Dinosaur hunter'' over the woods and yes I get caught by other people but I don't care, its fun!!  :laugh:

[ba...]

Mr Anderson that looks FAB!!  Good job!!

BabyAngel-I agree with you 100%. Exercise saved me and it has helped me so much. I can't fathom where I would be without working out for 2 to 2 1/2 hours per day even when I went off c/t I never missed a work out. It even helped restored my sleep and I'm sleeping 8 hours a night without anything. Sad to say but there are a couple of women on BB who have been out right nasty to me simply because I am able to exercise or I am sleeping. One word KARMA. Keep working out everyone!! Your BDNF and Gaba will thank you. I just did 70 minutes on the elliptical and now I am walking on my treadmill for 4 miles. I'll go to the gym later to lift weights and row. I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Fran I hope that didnt upset you too much. I havent seen you post here much lately and I was wondering about you.  :) That's terrible. I worry that some will be nasty to me for feeling too good, and being able to exercise. I saw another post from Billy, who said BBs had pm'd him and were very rude b/c he is doing so well. I think he deleted his acct. That is NOT right.  >:(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [mc...]
    • [Ch...]
    • [In...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Sw...]
    • [Wh...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [Ab...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Be...]
    • [Th...]