Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Hi Danimal,

It looks like you're addressing everything, so that's great! And thanks for the good wishes. Yup, it's been particularly brutal recently. Hoping for some better days soon.  :)

Hi All,

I just came across this study on Gingko Biloba, and I thought I'd post it here for all to read:

2017;82(4):56-59. doi: 10.17116/otorino201782456-59.

[The influence of Memoplant monotherapy on the dizziness].

[Article in Russian; Abstract available in Russian from the publisher]

Kryukov AI1, Kunel'skaya NL1, Yanyushkina ES1, Baybakova EV1, Chugunova MA1, Tardov MV1, Zaoeva ZO1, Izotova GN1.

Author information

L.I. Sverzhevskiy Research Institute of Clinical Otorhinolaryngology, Moscow Health Department, Moscow, Russia, 117152.

Abstract in English, Russian

The objective of the present work was to study the influence of the dry extract from the leaves of Ginkgo biloba EGb 761 (used as monotherapy at a dose of 120 mg twice daily during 4 months) on the vestibular function of the patients presenting with cochleovestibular pathology of peripheral and mixed genesis. We present the results obtained by the objective and subjective methods for the evaluation of the vestibular function as well as the neurological and psychoemotional state of the 40 patients that was carried out during the four months of memoplant monotherapy. It is concluded that monotherapy with the use of the dry extract from Ginkgo biloba leaves can be applied for the purpose of improvement of static and dynamic balancing state. Moreover, this memoplant preparation can be used as a means of prophylaxis of recurrent dizziness that in addition reduces the severity of anxiety and depression without producing adverse side effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28980599

It's been awhile... What's up, Lapis?

Coming up on my one-year anniversary of the "boatiness" that appeared with a bang during a slow taper and hasn't changed one iota since Day 1.  8)

Our long-lost Shook! Nice to see you! Thanks for dropping by!

I can't say "Happy Anniversary" to that, but I can say that we're glad to have you aboard our rocky boat. I see you have a new pic, and of course, I'm curious about the reference. Do tell!

As for me, I've still a rockin' and a rollin', but I've got the added ickiness of a left forefoot fracture. Very, very icky. I could use some other choice words, but I won't. Suffice to say, this has been a pretty brutal period of time for me. I've just gotten through two very dizzy days, and, finally, I have a less dizzy day today. I've been on anti-inflammatories too, so it's very possible they've contributed to some of the dizziness. I've stopped them for now for the sake of my gut and kidneys and ringing ears, so perhaps things will settle down a bit.

Anyway, that's my latest. And you? How have you been? How goes the tapering adventure? Still keeping your spirits up? I'm sending you all the good-tapering-vibes I can find. I hope it's going okay.

So good to see you again around here. It's been mighty quiet, so I'm not sure if people are doing better and just heading out into the wild world, or they're jumping ship for some other reason. I do hope it's because people are doing better.  :)

Permission to come aboard, captain!  :)

Really sorry about your foot! Life just keeps on giving, eh? How did that happen?

Still tapering at a snail's pace, uneventfully, as can be seen in my new slim 'n' trim sig. Thanks for asking and the good vibrations! I'm sending you and your foot healing "juju" (a word I learned from another friend here)!

Not much else to say I'm afraid. I guess no news is good news. 2200 hasn't popped in? I hope she and the others are enjoying better days too!

Here's a clip to satisfy your curiosity about the avatar pic/reference... Don't worry, it's not too scary!

I just watched the clip, Shook, and I'm scared, but I don't know why!

And no, there's been no sign of the lovely and talented 2200, so I, too, hope she's out there having a better time of it.

I fractured my foot when we had a late-night fire alarm. It had a been a dizzy day, and I'd been limping badly already due to other pain. I tried to move quickly due to the blaring alarm, and I must have torqued my foot awkwardly. It appears that my bony bits weren't up to the job, and so I fractured something. Not a great sign when it comes to bone health, really, but that's what happened. I'm downing the calcium and vitamin D supplements and hoping for healing soon. The swelling is down a bit, so I suppose that's a good sign. Still, it's pretty scary to be dizzy and have a broken bone in my foot.  :(

Keep up the good work, Shook. Slow and steady wins the race when it comes to the benzo beast. You're going in the right direction, and you're one day closer to being off this stuff. That's a good thing!

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm pretty confident about the taper ending well at this pace.

May your foot heal soon, Lapis. I'm really sorry this has happened to you.

Shook  :smitten:

Thanks so much, Shook. I would say I've hit rock bottom in terms of pain and dysfunction. The fracture has had seriously bad repercussions that I'm trying to deal with, but really, this is brutal.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing, Shook. I was thinking of you all this time and wondering how you're doing, so I'm really glad to know that you're doing so well, all things considered. I know that your strength and your sense of humour will carry you through.

I can imagine how you must be feeling. You needed this like a hole in the head. I hope there is someone there you can count on for help.

You and the others I met here are in my thoughts too. Hate to see all the needless suffering here...  :'(

Dizziness is becoming one my worst symptom.

It comes whit neck stifness and Awkward sensation in the legs when I'm walking. Its like a nerve blocked in the back. I'm sure it comes as a sub-symptom of anxiety too. 

Hi yong,

I can relate to the awkward sensation in the legs when trying to walk. It makes sense because when you feel unsteady, your legs have to work very hard, but in a strange way. Anxiety, too, is really common with the dizziness. It's hard to feel calm when it feels like you're on a boat.

Its a circle, your anxiety makes symptoms, and the symptoms make you anxious about them and your health

The Awkward sensation i'm talking about is like a sort of weakness and stiffness behind the legs

Yes, I agree. It's hard to tease one thing out from another. Do you get any breaks, yong? I get days where I'm less dizzy. I really hope you do too.

Hello everybody, I would like to share my situation. I am 12 months without xanax, mainly suffering with dizziness.

In September I had a vacation and I traveled to a wonderful, marvelous place called "Chapada Diamantina", in Brazil, my country. Waterfalls, rivers, landscapes, walking trails, all very close to nature. My symptoms practically disappeared in those days. It was a relief that I did not feel in a long time. "I'm finally recovered!" I tought.

...two months later here I am, back to the old routine, in my shitty job, suffering again with dizziness, dp, tinnitus, headaches...

I try not to get frustrated. This experience show me that how many of our physical symptoms depends a lot to our psychological condition to get worse.

Then we must try to lead a lighter life, and be kind to ourselves (if it's possible) to recover.

Hi johnny84,

Thanks so much for sharing your story. It was wonderful to read about your trip to Brazil, and how well you felt. Is there any place near where you live where you can be immersed in nature? Walking trails? Lakes or rivers? It sounds like it was very healing for you.

What about your job? Can you do anything to make it better?

I'm so sorry you're dizzy too. It's a really nasty symptom. It's true that we all have to do our best to take care of ourselves -- body, mind and spirit -- and that will hopefully help us ride out the benzo storm.

Hello everybody, I would like to share my situation. I am 12 months without xanax, mainly suffering with dizziness.

In September I had a vacation and I traveled to a wonderful, marvelous place called "Chapada Diamantina", in Brazil, my country. Waterfalls, rivers, landscapes, walking trails, all very close to nature. My symptoms practically disappeared in those days. It was a relief that I did not feel in a long time. "I'm finally recovered!" I tought.

...two months later here I am, back to the old routine, in my shitty job, suffering again with dizziness, dp, tinnitus, headaches...

I try not to get frustrated. This experience show me that how many of our physical symptoms depends a lot to our psychological condition to get worse.

Then we must try to lead a lighter life, and be kind to ourselves (if it's possible) to recover.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but sometimes I wonder if my weakness/dizziness, which is worse in the AM, is from breathing in poor air.  Where I live the air quality is not so great.  I would be interested to see if I felt better with cleaner air.  Hah - I just have to feel well enough to arrange it!  Catch 22. 

Oh, wannabe, there are so many catch-22s, aren't there?!

I've pretty much got an every-other-day pattern of worse dizziness/slightly better dizziness, so mine seems to have a life of its own.

[69...]

Happy Saturday everybody!I hope everyone is having a better time today.

Just wanted to let you know I wil be AWOL for awhile.Just too many things going on here with company,etc.Need to catch my breath and get some better rest in the down time.Take care,and I am thinking about you all! :smitten:

Thinking about you, 2200 - hope the break is doing you some good!  :smitten:

Hope everyone else is remaining upright, too. WBB, it seems to be part of the benzo deal, but bad air makes everything worse IMO. Hope your foot is improving, Lapis!

Take care, Dizzy Buds!

Hi LeslieAsh,

Thanks for the lovely message and good wishes! I'm going for a follow-up X-ray soon, so we'll see if there's any healing happening. Having been off the anti-inflammatories for a week now, my left ear tinnitus is settling down a bit. Those meds really ramp up the hissing sound to an unbelievable volume.

I hope you, too, are doing well and staying vertical, LeslieAsh! And yes, I'm thinking about 2200 as well, so I hope she's doing better. Maybe she'll drop us a line soon and let us know.

:-*

I've been having full-on vertigo attacks off and on for the last 3 weeks.  No rhyme or reason or pattern to them.  I'm thinking of going up .50 mgs to see if I will stabilize.  I can't keep doing this. 

Hi GsGirl,

Welcome! Just wondering about your symptoms....Is it spinning? Or more floaty/wavy? Check out the first few pages of this thread for some links to info on medication-related dizziness, plus a list of how many BBs describe their vestibular symptoms. Unfortunately, the meds themselves have negative, suppressing effects on the vestibular system, so taking more isn't necessarily a way to get rid of the symptoms. Disequilibrium and other balance issues are par for the course while taking the meds AND while coming off them. The brain needs to have time without them in order to normalize. Ashton has a section on it in her manual, so you might want to check out that section.

Anyway, hang in there if you can, and stay safe. Go slow, if you have to. Take care!

Thanks for your input...I'm having episodes of full-on vertigo, with varying levels of nystagmus, sometimes with vomiting.  I have Meniere's Disease, but this is much more severe than those attacks. This started after I got to 4 mg of Valium per day (2mg 2x daily).

Hi Gs Girl,

Have you seen a doctor to rule out anything else? Nystagmus, vertigo and nausea are also symptoms of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, which is a highly-treatable type of dizziness. Check it out online and see if the symptoms match what you're experiencing. It may or may not have to do with the benzo.

Thanks for the heads up on the BPPV.  I've had that before and have done the Epley maneuver at home with great results.  Unfortunately, this is not positional.  Although I have to say that today I am at least able to walk around without feeling too bad.  I'm very dehydrated and am chugging Gatorade.  My husband is home with me today, and I'm going to try to just lay low and stay cool (it's hot here today). I'm hoping that maybe these last 3 weeks will have been the storm and now I am in a window...