Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Geez. I really gotta watch the videos I post to the end... I didn't realize it was a posthumous tribute to "IZ" with video of his ashes being scattered in the sea! Bit of a downer. But he did sing beautifully, like a Hawaiian Aaron Neville.  :)

[6d...]

Geez. I really gotta watch the videos I post to the end... I didn't realize it was a posthumous tribute to "IZ" with video of his ashes being scattered in the sea! Bit of a downer. But he did sing beautifully, like a Hawaiian Aaron Neville.  :)

A Hawaiian Aaron Neville!You are so witty Shook,I bet everyone loves having you at the family barbecues! :)

I actually wasn't watching carefully. I was doing something else so I just listened. However, I did look him up on Wikipedia to find out a bit more. Now that I've watched the ending, I didn't sense any "downer" mood at all. They all seem quite joyful, actually.

Hi 2200,

I'm sorry you had that experience with your neighbour today. I feel much the same, and I can say that I had a similar feeling today when I had that repairman here. I'm sure the man you were talking to appreciated the time that you took, and he probably had no idea that you weren't feeling well. Good for you for making that effort!

I, too, think of Don and his experience with dizziness. While I haven't watched any of his videos lately, I do take solace in knowing that he healed so well despite his lengthy use of clonazepam and alcohol.

Hang in there, my friend, and have a restful evening. You did your best today!  :thumbsup:

I'm so sorry you're in a bad place too today, 2200. I know how hard it can be to keep it together when you have to interact with others.

I think sometimes they sense that we're uncomfortable, but can take it the wrong way...like we're not social, or we're aloof and uncaring. It's taught me not to make quick judgements when I meet ppl who seem a little "off" and are not Sally Sunshines or Jolly Johnnys.

I made up "Jolly Johnny", but feel free to use it!

Anyway, on these days, be especially kind to yourself and take it easy.

You're very kind and complementary, 2200. Is it a Texan trait?  :)

As for family barbecues, you might be surprised to know that I avoid them when I can.

I find socializing to be hard work, unless I'm really in my element, which isn't often. lol

I bet that's not a problem for you!

Lapis,

I wish I could find you a painted Harlequin Romance cover with a bare-chested repairman holding an "electric thingo". However I could repost the picture of Fabio holding toast.  :laugh:

Agreed, the video was a celebration of the man. But still was surprised to see them dumping his ashes. "Oh," I thought. lol

Shook,

Toast does not equal an electric thingo. I can say no more on that topic. It is what it is. Electric thingos are in a category by themselves when it comes to guys and fixin' stuff.

:laugh:

On a more serious note, I wanted to share a couple more articles with everyone here regarding the topic of medications that cause dizziness.

From Family Practice Notebook:

http://www.fpnotebook.com/ENT/Pharm/VrtgCsdByMdctn.htm

From The People's Pharmacy:

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2013/04/21/dont-dismiss-drugs-that-cause-dizziness/ 

(Check the comments. Most interesting.)

Ok, but before we get all serious...

http://www.epictimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/watch-fabio-co-star-with-giant-toaster-in-new-i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-ad.png

[6d...]

Ok, but before we get all serious...

http://www.epictimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/watch-fabio-co-star-with-giant-toaster-in-new-i-cant-believe-its-not-butter-ad.png

Ahh,I just love a man who cooks!He even butters the toast for ya too! :smitten:

If there's one takeaway from the comments section it's stay the heck off drugs!  :tickedoff:

And I'm pretty sure a production assistant made that toast. lol

Fabio has an electric thingo!

Okay, so it's not really a thingo that fixes stuff, but I have to give him points anyway. Good work, Fabio! The truth is, though, I can't have dairy. So, the butter is out. And so is Fabio.

Bye Fabio!

:clap:

[6d...]

Fabio has an electric thingo!

Okay, so it's not really a thingo that fixes stuff, but I have to give him points anyway. Good work, Fabio! The truth is, though, I can't have dairy. So, the butter is out. And so is Fabio.

Bye Fabio!

Lapis,I just love how Fabio's electric thingo is yellow!Such a happy color!

Sorry about the dairy!

I hate to tell Fabio I would prefer real butter! :)

From MdDS website:

To our knowledge, the first reference to the syndrome was made by Erasmus Darwin, in 1796. He wrote:

"Those, who have been upon the water in a boat or ship so long, that they have acquired the necessary habits of motion upon that unstable element, at their return on land frequently think in their reveries, or between sleeping and waking, that they observe the room, they sit in, or some of its furniture, to librate like the motion of the vessel. This I have experienced myself, and have been told, that after long voyages, it is some time before these ideas entirely vanish. The same is observable in a less degree after having travelled some days in a stage coach, and particularly when we lie down in bed, and compose ourselves to sleep; in this case it is observable, that the rattling noise of the coach, as well as the undulatory motion, haunts us."

That's me!  :)

I'm looking at taking a long train ride in September, but am worried it might worsen my symptom... What to do...

From MdDS website:

To our knowledge, the first reference to the syndrome was made by Erasmus Darwin, in 1796. He wrote:

"Those, who have been upon the water in a boat or ship so long, that they have acquired the necessary habits of motion upon that unstable element, at their return on land frequently think in their reveries, or between sleeping and waking, that they observe the room, they sit in, or some of its furniture, to librate like the motion of the vessel. This I have experienced myself, and have been told, that after long voyages, it is some time before these ideas entirely vanish. The same is observable in a less degree after having travelled some days in a stage coach, and particularly when we lie down in bed, and compose ourselves to sleep; in this case it is observable, that the rattling noise of the coach, as well as the undulatory motion, haunts us."

I'm looking at taking a long train ride in September, but am worried it might worsen my symptom... What to do...

Wow! So interesting, Shook! Thanks for sharing that. I can't imagine how someone tracked down that particular quote.

For some people, a moving car seems to temporarily cancel out the dizziness. I've experienced it too, and it does make sense. The first article I ever read on the topic of MdDS mentioned this effect, and some people actually get in the car just to get relief from the symptoms.

I used to go sailing all the time when I was young, and I loved the motion of the boat. I would feel it for a few hours afterward, but never longer. It's quite common. However, in my books, the ongoing sensation of motion caused by benzodiaizepines is a different beast. Whenever I get well, I hope to go kayaking, canoeing, sailing and swimming, just as I did before.

2200, I think you and Fabio should get together! It sounds like you two would make a great couple. Your husband might not be thrilled, however. Perhaps he can just go over to your place to visit. He could bring his Fabulous Fabio Yellow Thingo and you three can have buttered (or not-buttered) toast together.  ;D

[6d...]

"More butter taste", 2200!  :)

http://adage.com/images/random/fabio021006_big.jpg

Sorry Fabio,us country girls just know the real deal when we see it!It has to be real butter!

But that yellow toaster thingo is a keeper!

Omigosh, Shook! That's wacko!

Now that Fabio has spoken, I can say that he's definitely not my type. And I don't eat white bread or butter or not-butter, so we really don't have anything in common at all. However, if Fabio were an intelligent guy who had studied the connection between benzodiazepines, antidepressants and disequilibrium, and he knew how to help people dealing with the symptoms that all my pals here on the Dizziness Group thread are suffering from, then I MIGHT (I said "might") be interested in having a little chat with him.

However, I'm guessing he hasn't.

Bye Fabio.

[6d...]

From MdDS website:

Wow! So interesting, Shook! Thanks for sharing that. I can't imagine how someone tracked down that particular quote.

For some people, a moving car seems to temporarily cancel out the dizziness. I've experienced it too, and it does make sense. The first article I ever read on the topic of MdDS mentioned this effect, and some people actually get in the car just to get relief from the symptoms.

I used to go sailing all the time when I was young, and I loved the motion of the boat. I would feel it for a few hours afterward, but never longer. It's quite common. However, in my books, the ongoing sensation of motion caused by benzodiaizepines is a different beast. Whenever I get well, I hope to go kayaking, canoeing, sailing and swimming, just as I did before.

2200, I think you and Fabio should get together! It sounds like you two would make a great couple. Your husband might not be thrilled, however. Perhaps he can just go over to your place to visit. He could bring his Fabulous Fabio Yellow Thingo and you three can have buttered (or not-buttered) toast together.  ;D

About the driving while dizzy,I have been able to drive through this whole ordeal without much trouble.I am so thankful about that!I have heard some people can't,and I feel so bad for them,as it can be hard to get someone to go do things for you.I wonder if for me it is because your head stays mostly in a stable up right position,and when you look around it is slow so as not to get the dizzy stuff moving as fast as say walking around?Maybe it is the car movement that does the trick?I just don't know for sure.

I have to admit to a few panic episodes while driving due to anxiety.They are less now then they used to be.

Did anyone ever get a panic attack while in a drive thru?I knew I was getting better when sitting in the drive thru I didn't feel closed in,panicky and wanting to freak out!

I'm a fan of the movie "Jaws". It was a looong production due to the many problems of shooting out on the actual ocean... The last act takes place entirely on a boat, and actor Roy Scheider said he had sea legs for 7 months and was swaying in the shower every day! Not always glamorous work!

It would appear that Fabio has, for a second time, worn out his welcome on this thread... When will he learn??

I used to feel boxed in taking a shower, 2200. Would feel panic coming on, but learned to control it. I'm glad you're better now going through the drive-thru! Keep all the windows down.  :thumbsup:

[6d...]

I'm a fan of the movie "Jaws". It was a looong production due to the many problems of shooting out on the actual ocean... The last act takes place entirely on a boat, and actor Roy Scheider said he had sea legs for 7 months and was swaying in the shower every day! Not always glamorous work!

It would appear that Fabio has, for a second time, worn out his welcome on this thread... When will he learn??

I have to say I thought the movie Jaws was awful!Sorry.....just so fakey to me!

Now the Creature from the Black Lagoon.....he was one scary goober!That was on a few weeks ago!I love how they are standing on the boat looking for him in the water,and the dumb girl stands next to the boat edge,just far enough back,that he can climb up,grab her and be gone before the guys can rescue her!  :laugh:Makes us girls look smart don't it!

Fabio is fabo,he can't wear out his welcome!I think he does need to see his hair dresser though!

Who is that a picture of on your avatar Shook?

He's a character from the war movie The Thin Red Line whom I identified with... I think I'll keep him for awhile...

You changed your avatar, didn't you? It's very pretty.

My layperson's take on the situation regarding being in a moving vehicle if you're a dizzy dame or dude is this: For those who are NOT dizzy, moving vehicles can cause dizziness because the vision, vestibular system and proprioception are not giving the brain the same messages at the same time. But if a person is already dizzy, then the motion of the vehicle feels more "normal" and, in a way, it corrects the mismatched messages that one is experiencing when not in a moving vehicle. It's just a temporary correction, of course, but it can afford a person a little window of comfort.

I hope I've got that right. Anyone else?

My take on Fabio is this: He's an obnoxious egotist, and he needs a haircut. If he's dizzy from taking a benzo or something, then of course, he's welcome to join us here. If he can offer any support, help or information, then yes, we'd love to have him aboard our floaty boat. However, if he just wants to show off his yellow electric thingo and foist unhealthy foods on us, then I'm not so sure. He wasn't even there to catch me when I fainted awhile ago.  :tickedoff:

Bye Fabio.

[6d...]

He's a character from the war movie The Thin Red Line whom I identified with... I think I'll keep him for awhile...

You changed your avatar, didn't you? It's very pretty.

Thanks!I thought it looked so peaceful.A nice place to sit and have coffee and think.

Thought I'd give Jed Clampett some time off to go fishing. :)